News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#736 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:57 pm

Hoping they maintain the greenery. Looks fab!

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#737 Post by Joelmark » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:33 am

Sorry I don’t mean to thread bump but as an expat based based in London I don’t know if anyone wandering through Bank St, Gawler Place or Topham Mall north could take a few pictures? Really keen to see how all the greenery has developed the last couple of years since the lane way upgrades. Hopefully too they’ve replaced the missing new trees in Bank St (near the artwork, northern end)? - thanks.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#738 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 am

Joelmark wrote:Sorry I don’t mean to thread bump but as an expat based based in London I don’t know if anyone wandering through Bank St, Gawler Place or Topham Mall north could take a few pictures? Really keen to see how all the greenery has developed the last couple of years since the lane way upgrades. Hopefully too they’ve replaced the missing new trees in Bank St (near the artwork, northern end)? - thanks.
Here’s a few for you:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#739 Post by SRW » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:33 am
Sorry I don’t mean to thread bump but as an expat based based in London I don’t know if anyone wandering through Bank St, Gawler Place or Topham Mall north could take a few pictures? Really keen to see how all the greenery has developed the last couple of years since the lane way upgrades. Hopefully too they’ve replaced the missing new trees in Bank St (near the artwork, northern end)? - thanks.
To add to Andy's photos: Bank Street is looking quite shabby with granite blocks damaged, the area routinely littered and the ornamental pear trees yet to establish themselves (very poor street trees IMO). Gawler Place North looks great and the trees planted were already well advanced; Gawler Place South is improved but the landscaping feels unfinished -- the tree understory is exposed and unplanted, so mainly serves to accumulate cigarette butts. Topham Mall is looking good now that the vines have grown, but it's still a bit of a nothing location -- hopefully something becomes of the old Centrelink office to bring in more people.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#740 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:11 pm

Bank Street has definitely gone to the dogs. It needs to be closed off from cars asap.

Leigh Street needs some work too - repaving and bird management.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#741 Post by Joelmark » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:26 am

Cheers guys much appreciated!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#742 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am

Here's the latest from the Riverbank to Market Link
Adelaide City Council wrote:SA Health instructed the City of Adelaide to defer the construction of Bentham Street due to the utilisation of the Peppers Hotel as a medi-hotel. We are awaiting further instruction from SA Health. The design of Pitt Street is progressing. Thanks, Amy

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#743 Post by Honey of a City » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:43 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:11 pm
Bank Street has definitely gone to the dogs. It needs to be closed off from cars asap.

Bank Street does look particularly grim at the moment both day and night. Very disappointing considering the time and money spent on the streetscaping, and its location. Be interesting to know why most of the food traders have chosen not to activate the street in front of their premises, given the potential from the high foot traffic.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#744 Post by SRW » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:05 am

Honey of a City wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:43 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:11 pm

Bank Street does look particularly grim at the moment both day and night. Very disappointing considering the time and money spent on the streetscaping, and its location. Be interesting to know why most of the food traders have chosen not to activate the street in front of their premises, given the potential from the high foot traffic.
Some traders have but it's a bit haphazard. The Thai restaurant has recently been redone and expanded its al fresco area. However, I would imagine the lack of security and maintenance for the street is a disincentive. In addition to the litter that pollutes the area (largely thanks to McDonald's), as a busy thoroughfare it tends to attract vagrants.

There's a few things I think council can do to improve the area (and the West End generally). Most simply, they could adequately fund their asset maintenance. But through the pandemic council has assisted traders with free outdoor heaters, umbrellas and foregone footpath/outdoor dining fees. This could be expanded. I think they should charge businesses for using public space, but provide a suite of outdoor furniture and planters to them. It's frustrating to see cheap and broken furniture along prime streets as well as dead or dying planters. Council could ensure a high standard and maintain greenery for the benefit of business and all city users.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ghs

#745 Post by ghs » Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 pm

Anyone else noticed that the paving work in (Chinatown) moonta street seems to be dragging on for months.
I would have thought that the whole job could be done in about a week. Adelaide city council is a joke.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#746 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Bank Street today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#747 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:00 pm

North Terrace gas main replacement works between Austin St and KWS are due to start on 18th May and should be completed within several weeks.

Hopefully the North Terrace streetscape upgrades will be good to go after that work has been done.

[Shuz]

#748 Post by [Shuz] » Sat May 15, 2021 11:22 am

Bank Street was perfectly fine before it got upgraded. It was inviting and attractive with all those parklets which added character to the street. Now it is just a soulless concrete jungle.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#749 Post by A-Town » Sat May 15, 2021 5:25 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:22 am
Bank Street was perfectly fine before it got upgraded. It was inviting and attractive with all those parklets which added character to the street. Now it is just a soulless concrete jungle.
Agreed. Here's a comparison from April 2013 to July 2020
jggj.PNG
njj.PNG

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#750 Post by Mpol02 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:54 pm

Though I agree, if we were to have a picture taken of those boxes in 2015-17 they would look dire. They attracted a lot of rubbish.

The upgrade was so half arsed. We truly need to have a consistent look to our alleys especially the ones connecting the riverbank to market. Same pebble/stone finishing. Proper gardening and seating. The best one is between Currie st and is it Waymouth? I forget it’s name.