News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#751 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 am

Mpol02 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:54 pm
Though I agree, if we were to have a picture taken of those boxes in 2015-17 they would look dire. They attracted a lot of rubbish.

The upgrade was so half arsed. We truly need to have a consistent look to our alleys especially the ones connecting the riverbank to market. Same pebble/stone finishing. Proper gardening and seating. The best one is between Currie st and is it Waymouth? I forget it’s name.
Considering how narrow these laneways are, I'm at a loss to understand why they didn't opt for lighter stone finishes (think Bourke Street Mall in Melbourne). Dark stone makes places like Bank Street look gloomy and horrible.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#752 Post by Joelmark » Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 am

Re: some of the comments above, reading through the City of Adelaide Draft 2021-22 Budget carefully, it seems $2.1 million has been allocated for Nth Terrace this year, and $200,000 for Leigh St (presumably for footpath upgrades). However some of this is reallocated from previous unspent funds. The Market to Riverbank is a major project and has $6.18 million (for Bentham and Pitt Streets). However as we know CofA keep kicking the can down the road - both are several years behind schedule despite the Peppers MediHotel situation.
In terms of general upkeep of Bank St and other lane ways, the only way is to badger them about how shabby they look- if enough people contact them they might take action in terms of litter and the chipped seating.
On general design in the city, five years ago or so, the CofA spent some effort putting together a design manual on how the public realm should be treated in terms of consistency and heritage. We’re lucky in Adelaide to have such beautiful spaces in the south east, south west and North Adelaide where old stone and granite surfaces have been preserved, along with heritage benches, lighting and bollards - little touches that Sydney, Perth and Brisbane mostly dispensed with years ago.
But less well handled are the big commercial thoroughfares of the CBD- Grenfell and Currie Sts are shocking, with no funding in sight. The Nth Terrace / King William St intersection- probably the city’s busiest - is a mismatch of granite, slate, concrete flagstones, and asphalt still not fixed from the tram works. Why only pave the area outside the railway station with granite when the whole area up to Government House needs work?
Renewal SA is doing this I know but another example of a lack of joined up thinking with the council.

Patrick_27

#753 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:12 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 am
Re: some of the comments above, reading through the City of Adelaide Draft 2021-22 Budget carefully, it seems $2.1 million has been allocated for Nth Terrace this year, and $200,000 for Leigh St (presumably for footpath upgrades). However some of this is reallocated from previous unspent funds. The Market to Riverbank is a major project and has $6.18 million (for Bentham and Pitt Streets). However as we know CofA keep kicking the can down the road - both are several years behind schedule despite the Peppers MediHotel situation.
In terms of general upkeep of Bank St and other lane ways, the only way is to badger them about how shabby they look- if enough people contact them they might take action in terms of litter and the chipped seating.
On general design in the city, five years ago or so, the CofA spent some effort putting together a design manual on how the public realm should be treated in terms of consistency and heritage. We’re lucky in Adelaide to have such beautiful spaces in the south east, south west and North Adelaide where old stone and granite surfaces have been preserved, along with heritage benches, lighting and bollards - little touches that Sydney, Perth and Brisbane mostly dispensed with years ago.
But less well handled are the big commercial thoroughfares of the CBD- Grenfell and Currie Sts are shocking, with no funding in sight. The Nth Terrace / King William St intersection- probably the city’s busiest - is a mismatch of granite, slate, concrete flagstones, and asphalt still not fixed from the tram works. Why only pave the area outside the railway station with granite when the whole area up to Government House needs work?
Renewal SA is doing this I know but another example of a lack of joined up thinking with the council.
I suspect the lack of works along major transit corridors such as the sections North Terrace that you mention on and the whole of Grenfell/Currie Street(s) are the result of there being no formal process of communication between the ACC and State Government. Whilst these corridors belong to the ACC and any expense of upkeep should be footed by the ACC (provided they aren't just dumped with it but rather than it be agreed upon - Riverbank precinct comes to mind), the state government should be footing a majority sum of any upgrades that come to these corridors. Our public transport system is largely to blame for their poor state, whether it be buses decimating the roads or the excess of pedestrians using the footpaths making it either impossible to clean or replace. I think North Terrace is an easier project that could be completed within a couple of years, this would include the section by Lot 14 (including the southern side), the southern side opposite government house, and then North Terrace all the way down to the RAH.

Once that's done, Grenfell and Currie Street(s) are a must. Aside from the obvious increasing the depth of footpaths, planting and installing amass of trees and street furniture, I think it would be wise to consider a concrete road surface for the designated bus lane and bus stop slip lanes; this is done a lot in Sydney and would ensure the roadway doesn't meld into a ditch with constant bus use during differing weather conditions, it's also brighter than bitumen which would help liven up an otherwise gloomy, sun deprived strip.

[Shuz]

#754 Post by [Shuz] » Mon May 17, 2021 7:29 am

Currie and Grenfell streets should fall under DIT jurisdiction, seeing as the majority of users on that road are Adelaide Metro buses. It's only fair.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#755 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed May 26, 2021 5:39 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

claybro

#756 Post by claybro » Thu May 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Great photos Andy thanks.-Cant wait to finally get back and see all the new stuff since I was last there. Cant place where the last photo of the frame trees is though?

Nort

#757 Post by Nort » Thu May 27, 2021 5:28 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:41 pm
Great photos Andy thanks.-Cant wait to finally get back and see all the new stuff since I was last there. Cant place where the last photo of the frame trees is though?
Between Waymouth and Franklin Street, between the Advertiser building and the old GPO.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#758 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:53 pm

Pirie Street new seating;

Llessur2002

#759 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Somewhat disappointingly I've noticed that the northen end of Gawler Place (between Rundle Mall and North Terrace) has had all of the shared space signage removed - presumably because drivers using Gawler Place to access the UPark have never felt the need to slow down or give way to pedestrians on this stretch. However it seems a shame to just capitulate and formally make the whole area a road again instead of increasing awareness of its shared space status and trying to better integrate this section of Gawler Place and the businesses on it with the mall.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#760 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:53 pm
Pirie Street new seating;

Nice, the Wattle is my local for post-work, more outdoor seating is a big plus

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#761 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:04 pm

At the Rundle Mall end of Hindley Street:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#762 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:57 am

The Riverbank to Market Link project has been resurrected from the dead, and the Bentham Street upgrade commenced today. Finally!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#763 Post by Ben » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:01 pm

From The Advertiser
Bentham St six-month closure as part of project to connect Adelaide Railway Station to Adelaide Central Market

Work is about to start on one of the last links in a $14.6m project connecting the Adelaide Railway Station to the Adelaide Central Market. See what’s happening.

Don't miss out on the headlines from City. Followed categories will be added to My News.

A busy city side street will be closed to vehicles for six months as part of a $5m upgrade originally meant to start four years ago.

Bentham St is to be converted into a shared use thoroughfare with trees, seating and street lighting as part of a project connecting the Adelaide Railway Station to Adelaide Central Market.

Work is set to begin on Monday. Other streets already upgraded include Bank St, Leigh St and Topham Mall.

City services director Tom McCready said Bentham St was part of the final leg of the $14.6m Market to Riverbank project. The other was Pitt St.

“These works are set to completely reinvigorate a key thoroughfare in the city as a new community space for residents, visitors and workers to enjoy,” he said.

“There will be six new outdoor seating areas for people to use, as well as new paving and smart lighting poles to contribute to safety at night.”

Mr McCready said streetscaping would be a key feature of the upgrade, which was approved by council in 2017, with construction expected to begin the following year.

“There will be five custom-designed greening columns to support vine growth and 20 trees to be planted along the strip to provide important shade,” he said.

At last, a streaming service for news Stream 25+ news channels with Flash

The project will involve the excavation of the road, replacement of subterranean infrastructure and resurfacing.

Mr McCready said the council was “really pleased to now be in a position to move ahead”.

“Works were on hold due to an SA Health direction,” he said.

“However, Peppers Hotel will revise its procedures to accommodate the construction works and ensure the safety of all workers and the public.”

Mr McCready said while the street would be closed to vehicles, pedestrians would be able to travel along the length of the street throughout construction.

Alternative parking arrangements were being made for businesses on the street, which include The Advertiser, Australia Post and the Franklin Apartments.

“We have been engaging with local businesses about access to their premises for waste collection, deliveries, and all other necessary local access,” he said.

Mr McCready said the project would be undertaken by private contractors, T & J Constructions.

“T & J Constructions will of course strive to keep the disruption and nuisance to a minimum and to complete the construction in the shortest possible time frame,” he said.

SA Health confirmed guests would be able to access Peppers Hotel from Waymouth St.

“We have been working with the Adelaide City Council so that the roadworks along Bentham St can continue and guests are able to be accommodated safely in and out of the Peppers Hotel,” said a spokeswoman.

ChillyPhilly

#764 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:12 pm

Renders look good. Need to ditch the car parking if this is going to succeed as a place for people though.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Smithy84
Gold-Member ;)

#765 Post by Smithy84 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:35 pm

Hopefully that Travelodge ends up happening.. otherwise there isn’t a whole lot between Waymouth and Franklin Street from memory?