News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#256 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:44 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:36 pm
What about taxis and Uber cars dropping off passengers from the airport at Peppers hotel ? They'll have to take the scenic route.

Note: none of the suggested routes include Bentham St.

ghs

#257 Post by ghs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm

So in the mornings every man and his dog who wants to park at topham mall needs to go onto waymouth street instead of franklin street. Waymouth street will be chaos.

There's only 1 lane in each direction on waymouth, it can only handle so much traffic. Honestly as a city we need to learn to be smarter about things.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#258 Post by Goodsy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:33 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
So in the mornings every man and his dog who wants to park at topham mall needs to go onto waymouth street instead of franklin street. Waymouth street will be chaos.

There's only 1 lane in each direction on waymouth, it can only handle so much traffic. Honestly as a city we need to learn to be smarter about things.

You're absolutely right. lets ban traffic on waymouth st

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#259 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:46 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:33 pm
ghs wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm

You're absolutely right. lets ban traffic on waymouth st
Excellent idea, then that unsightly carpark can be bulldozed and Topham Mall can be truly transformed into something great.

Or at least make it one way and expand the footpaths on both sides of Waymouth. Speaking of which, what happened to that plan?

Patrick_27

#260 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 am

Living and driving in the city, I can tell you that the only things that annoy me in getting around and about is the ban on r/h turning during peak times along the southern most part of Frome Street (excluding Carrington Street) largely because these peak hour bans also exist on Pulteney Street so it makes it impossible to get down Angas Street without having to do a bit of a dog leg back. And heading east, the ban on r/h turns from the central roadway at Victoria Square but I understand why this is the case. So to refer to ghs comments, I have no problem with them making this laneway one-way, in-fact as someone who regularly walks down there, it'd be nice to have a little more room for pedestrians to walk. That's my two cents, I hope you enjoyed it.

ghs

#261 Post by ghs » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 am

Adelaide has a reputation as being a city where it's easy to get around. Why do we want to stuff that up by introducing one lane roads and intersections where you can't turn right ?

rhino

#262 Post by rhino » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am

ghs wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 am
Adelaide has a reputation as being a city where it's easy to get around. Why do we want to stuff that up by introducing one lane roads and intersections where you can't turn right ?
To improve it.
cheers,
Rhino

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#263 Post by Spurdo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:28 am

Just curious, but why do so many people here seem to hate motorists? I never really understood this, but I'm also not a neo-urb so is it something to do with that particular ideology.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#264 Post by mshagg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:49 am

Spurdo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:28 am
hate motorists?
I think that's a strange term. Presumably once someone alights from their vehicle, they become a pedestrian? If they ride a bike on the weekend are they not a cyclist?

Personally speaking my frustration comes from the needs of single occupant vehicles compromising the design, layout and amenity of our city. It's not sustainable and you'll ruin the place if you cling on to the fantasy that it is.

e.g. here we have the opportunity to create a fantastic space for people to enjoy between the markets and the riverbank, but the Adelaide view of the world is one of concern about the impact this has on people who drive to work and park in topham mall?

Nathan

#265 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:01 pm

mshagg wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:49 am
Spurdo wrote:
hate motorists?
I think that's a strange term. Presumably once someone alights from their vehicle, they become a pedestrian? If they ride a bike on the weekend are they not a cyclist?

Personally speaking my frustration comes from the needs of single occupant vehicles compromising the design, layout and amenity of our city. It's not sustainable and you'll ruin the place if you cling on to the fantasy that it is.

e.g. here we have the opportunity to create a fantastic space for people to enjoy between the markets and the riverbank, but the Adelaide view of the world is one of concern about the impact this has on people who drive to work and park in topham mall?
This. Re-addressing the balance away from heavily prioritising cars ≠ hating cars.

[Shuz]

#266 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:06 pm

GHS, I'm absolutely baffled by some of your views on things which make absolutely no sense / have no rationality, logic or substance to them.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#267 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:12 pm

[Shuz] wrote:GHS, I'm absolutely baffled by some of your views on things which make absolutely no sense / have no rationality, logic or substance to them.
I feel that completely ignoring his posts has made my S-A Forum experience infinitely better.

Nort

#268 Post by Nort » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Just curious, but why do so many people here seem to hate motorists? I never really understood this, but I'm also not a neo-urb so is it something to do with that particular ideology.
Most of us are motorists, just don't think that the whole CBD needs to be designed around giving car access first.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#269 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Bank Street pavers are starting to come down

Topham Mall North

[Shuz]

#270 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:12 pm
[Shuz] wrote:GHS, I'm absolutely baffled by some of your views on things which make absolutely no sense / have no rationality, logic or substance to them.
I feel that completely ignoring his posts has made my S-A Forum experience infinitely better.
Is there some way of being able to ignore / block a user's posts completely? I know the SkyScraperCity forums offer this functionality.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.