News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#706 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:15 pm

Don't mind the clickbait headline, but new article up at InDaily: 'Call to repave Rundle Mall (again) to combat climate change'

The idea of paving with cooler materials is just one suggestion from a report on climate risks. The notion that we would repave Rundle Mall again now (and that fresh disruption would be tolerated by traders) is ludicrous. But it does raise the issue for council about how to cool the mall during heatwaves with additional shade and misters. Hopefully it also draws attention to appropriate material selection for future upgrades.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#707 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Progress on North Terrace:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#708 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Also progress on Station Road:

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#709 Post by Nort » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:15 pm
Don't mind the clickbait headline, but new article up at InDaily: 'Call to repave Rundle Mall (again) to combat climate change'

The idea of paving with cooler materials is just one suggestion from a report on climate risks. The notion that we would repave Rundle Mall again now (and that fresh disruption would be tolerated by traders) is ludicrous. But it does raise the issue for council about how to cool the mall during heatwaves with additional shade and misters. Hopefully it also draws attention to appropriate material selection for future upgrades.
One easyish suggestion would be to ensure that any future upgrades don't do mass tree removals. Having lots of greenery in the mall is one of the best things that could be done to make it a better place to be in hot weather.

Nathan

#710 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 am

Nort wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 am
SRW wrote:

One easyish suggestion would be to ensure that any future upgrades don't do mass tree removals. Having lots of greenery in the mall is one of the best things that could be done to make it a better place to be in hot weather.
IIRC the reason why a lot of the trees had to be removed was because their root systems were ingressing on underground services and drainage. The new trees are in pits so that will no longer happen. (And I believe there are more trees now than there was prior to the redevelopment, they're just obviously less mature).

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#711 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:13 am

Nathan wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 am
Nort wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 am
SRW wrote:

IIRC the reason why a lot of the trees had to be removed was because their root systems were ingressing on underground services and drainage. The new trees are in pits so that will no longer happen. (And I believe there are more trees now than there was prior to the redevelopment, they're just obviously less mature).
Yes, there's nearly double the number of trees, and they're a more appropriate species than the plane and ficus they replaced. What I think we should be doing in future, in addition to more trees, is having more soft landscaping -- that is, greenery in the understory, planters, swales -- to minimise hard surfaces. But obviously, council would have to budget more for upkeep which on current evidence they seem unable and/or unwilling to do.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#712 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:27 am

SRW wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:13 am
Yes, there's nearly double the number of trees, and they're a more appropriate species than the plane and ficus they replaced. What I think we should be doing in future, in addition to more trees, is having more soft landscaping -- that is, greenery in the understory, planters, swales -- to minimise hard surfaces. But obviously, council would have to budget more for upkeep which on current evidence they seem unable and/or unwilling to do.
I agree, some ground level greenery, particularly around the larger seating areas, would make a big difference to the impression people have of the mall — although maybe it's an intentional decision given the type of area it is, as I would guess such plantings would likely become dumping grounds for rubbish.

Patrick_27

#713 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:21 pm

There is no reason why the ACC couldn't budget a further $500k/$1m to add raised garden beds which could include more seating, bring some of what has made North Terrace successful to the mall. Whilst the maturing trees are looking great, it does feel very cold below their canopy. I also think they need to address the fact that the pond they created around the restored fountain is far too small and actually means that most of the water is ending up on the pavers rather than in the designated pond.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#714 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:28 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:There is no reason why the ACC couldn't budget a further $500k/$1m to add raised garden beds which could include more seating, bring some of what has made North Terrace successful to the mall. Whilst the maturing trees are looking great, it does feel very cold below their canopy. I also think they need to address the fact that the pond they created around the restored fountain is far too small and actually means that most of the water is ending up on the pavers rather than in the designated pond.

Glad you brought up the fountain! It annoys me every time I walk past. Why couldn’t it be an appropriate size to stop water going everywhere?!

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#715 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 pm

North Terrace paving update. A large section is now open:

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#716 Post by cmet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Just need to do Grenfell/Currie next

Patrick_27

#717 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:18 pm

cmet wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:34 pm
Just need to do Grenfell/Currie next
And the western end of North Terrace...

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#718 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:58 pm

North Terrace today. Look on track to finish this stretch in the next couple of weeks.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#719 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:54 pm

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#720 Post by SRW » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:54 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:58 pm
North Terrace today. Look on track to finish this stretch in the next couple of weeks.

I sincerely hope none of the street lights in this newly paved section need to be replaced (for tram overheads), because they haven't been especially delicate in other areas of North Terrace.
Keep Adelaide Weird