News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1171 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:21 pm

crawf wrote:In other news, Woolworths Rundle Mall is again undergoing renovations at the moment. Maybe Coles is giving them some strong competition, considering Woolies was only upgraded a couple of years ago...
It's a corner of upstairs and part of the freezer section downstairs. At first I thought they were putting another sub-tenancy in next to BWS, or expanding BWS. Not sure now.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1172 Post by Waewick » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:34 pm

monotonehell wrote:
crawf wrote:In other news, Woolworths Rundle Mall is again undergoing renovations at the moment. Maybe Coles is giving them some strong competition, considering Woolies was only upgraded a couple of years ago...
It's a corner of upstairs and part of the freezer section downstairs. At first I thought they were putting another sub-tenancy in next to BWS, or expanding BWS. Not sure now.
it is a strange one. been a fair bit of movement downstairs, I can't think of what they want to have 1st level access

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#1173 Post by mooshie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:53 pm

I am guessing a cafe...

The Scooter Guy

#1174 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Commonwealth Bank on the east end of Rundle Mall is now closed. Either due to renovations or relocated, etc.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#1175 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Commonwealth Bank on the east end of Rundle Mall is now closed. Either due to renovations or relocated, etc.
They relocated about 50m west, same side.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1176 Post by Pants » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Not sure if there's anything new in this old article, but thought it was worth posting anyway:
Chanel, Louis Vuitton size up Adelaide retail sites
By Katherine Jimenez
Wednesday, 28 August 2013
International luxury brands Chanel and Louis Vuitton are looking at "multiple sites" in Adelaide for their next store expansion.

Adelaide Central Plaza owner Shaun Bonett confirmed to Property Observer that both retailers were tallks with him about opening stores in his centre. He said the French retail brands werre currenty looking at "multiple sites” in Adelaide and that he would be "delighted if we were able to progress discussions with them."

"We submitted our shopping centre as a centre which they should consider," he said.

UK fashion retailer Topshop also has the Adelaide market firmly on its radar.

Earlier this month, US high-end jeweller Tiffany & Co announce it would be opening its next store in Adelaide Central Plaza. Confidentiality agreements prevented Mr Bonett from disclosing further details about the lease but he said “their store in Adelaide will be very comparable to their Melbourne and Brisbane stores."

Mr Bonett said what was drawing those retailers to Adelaide was its high population, tourism appeal - namely its wineries - and that there was a significant demographic in South Australia that shopped interstate for higher end items.
http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/sout ... 3082864624

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1177 Post by Pants » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Pants wrote:Not sure if there's anything new in this old article, but thought it was worth posting anyway:
Revamp for SA plaza
by Inside Retail on October 17, 2013

davidjonessaAdelaide Central Plaza shopping centre in the city’s Rundle Mall will undergo a $35 million upgrade, with several international brands expected to debut in the state as part of the transformation.

Owned by Precision Group, Adelaide Central Plaza houses the city’s David Jones flagship. The 23,000sqm department store’s ground and lower groud floors will undergo a complete rebuild, while its upper floors will be refurbished.

The new look David Jones will incorporate all of the features of David Jones’ “Next Generation store” concept including complimentary customer wi-fi, click & collect pick-up stations, customer dwell areas , mobile device charging centres, and omni mirrors enabling customers to photograph and share images socially.

The refurbishment will also expand the existing women’s fashion and accessories offering by expanding the floor space allocated to these categories and adding new department store exclusive national and international brands such as Coach, Saint Laurent, and Proenza Schouler.

Luxury brand, Tiffany & Co, will open its first store in Adelaide as part of the redevelopment, while Australian fashion retailers Cue and Veronica Maine are scheduled to open flagship stores on the Rundle Mall frontage of Adelaide Central Plaza also as part of the upgrade.

A new women’s ‘Shoe Emporium’ with more than 27,000 pairs of shoes will be created drawing inspiration from Saks Fifth Avenue in New York where the women’s shoe department has its own official postcode.

The Precision Group’s MD and owner Shaun Bonett said, “Our objective with the upgrade of Adelaide Central Plaza is to create a world class shopping destination for the people of Adelaide with international brands such as Tiffany & Co opening in the centre and department store David Jones undertaking an extensive refurbishment that will bring to the centre many new national and international brands.”

The redevelopment and upgrade works will commence in early February 2014 and are expected to be completed in October 2014.

“Our planned upgrades in Adelaide Central Plaza during 2014 in conjunction with David Jones’ refurbishment, including the upgrade of the entre’s lower ground floor and a completely new dining precinct will provide a world class shopping experience that Adelaide shoppers deserve.”
http://www.insideretail.com.au/2013/10/ ... -sa-plaza/

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#1178 Post by Allkai » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Anybody else noticed the oddly located 'Closing Down Sale' sign inside Citi Centre, just near the Nike store?

It doesnt refer to the Nike shop, but thats all it was near?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1179 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Charlesworth Nuts opens new Rundle Mall shop tomorrow in building formerly occupied by Darrell Lea

by: Tim Williams

November 07, 2013 1:30PM

CHARLESWORTH Nuts will herald the unveiling of its new Rundle Mall shop tomorrow by ringing a ship's bell honouring the naval career of a family legend.

The opening of the company's tenth store, in the historic building on the King William St corner formerly occupied by Darrell Lea, coincides with the official completion of the western end of the Rundle Mall upgrade.

Workers were returning the much loved bronze pigs to the mall yesterday.

The Charlesworth bell has been named Chappy's Bell in honour of Chappy Charlesworth, who served in the navy during World War II and introduced the idea of cooking nuts on site at the Central Market in the 1950s.

"In 1948 dad somewhat reluctantly left the navy and came home to run the family business," Charlesworth CEO Brett Charlesworth says.

"It was a son fulfilling his duty and he made a big success of it.

"The hot roasted smell of nuts through the Central Market became pretty famous."

Mr Charlesworth says hot nuts will be served to customers on both the mall and King William St sides of the shop and "whenever the hot nuts are ready to go we'll ring the bell".

Charlesworth is the first new tenant in 44 years of the Waterhouse Building, which was built from 1847-50.

"We're very mindful of the fact it's not just another shop," Mr Charlesworth says.

"We have to put on a really good show because it's the doorway to the mall."

Chappy's parents Herbert and Doris Charlesworth founded the company in 1934.

It now employs about 160 people in its Marion factory and shops, although that number doubles to more than 300 leading up to Christmas.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#1180 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Out of interest, is Charlesworth Nuts still family owned and operated and 100% local SA? Those words seem to be missing from their website.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1181 Post by Pants » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Trenery (Country Road's more upmarket off-shoot) is opening in one of the vacated spots in Rundle Place. There's also going to be a bakery/cafe concession in the fashion mall.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1182 Post by Pants » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:33 am

Trenery's just a pop up store by the way.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1183 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 am

monotonehell wrote:
The whole store has been completely changed. All the shelves are very very low, everything has been moved around and some design changes.

Their new pizza making and meals ready to go is in that corner section, with a new cafe in the middle. Downstairs, part of the freezer section has been transformed into the new cosmetics section in a pretty fancy setup (for a supermarket anyway!).

Personally I still think Coles is better.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1184 Post by Phantom » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 pm

monotonehell wrote:It's a corner of upstairs and part of the freezer section downstairs. At first I thought they were putting another sub-tenancy in next to BWS, or expanding BWS. Not sure now.
I was in Rundle a few days back and I asked about this. It's gonna be turned into a Cafeteria or an Eatery. One of the two. I can't remember which word specifically they used, though. Back when it was a Variety or Venture or whatever it was, there used to be a massive cafeteria in the underground part, yeah? I think I remember eating there when I was young, but I could have it mistaken with like John Martin's or something?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

DaveAdl
Gold-Member ;)

#1185 Post by DaveAdl » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Phantom wrote:
monotonehell wrote:It's a corner of upstairs and part of the freezer section downstairs. At first I thought they were putting another sub-tenancy in next to BWS, or expanding BWS. Not sure now.
I was in Rundle a few days back and I asked about this. It's gonna be turned into a Cafeteria or an Eatery. One of the two. I can't remember which word specifically they used, though. Back when it was a Variety or Venture or whatever it was, there used to be a massive cafeteria in the underground part, yeah? I think I remember eating there when I was young, but I could have it mistaken with like John Martin's or something?
Your spot on had a cafe in the basement on the mall side was very similar to the ones which were in KMart in the good old days