News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1216 Post by skyliner » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Matt wrote:
jk1237 wrote:Quite a cool, hip little warehouse café has opened up on a street running between Waymouth and Franklin Streets (street that Raglans pub is on the corner of). Noticed it as I was walking from work to the markets. Its called Hello, Yes. Quite quirky and interesting, and the coffee was nice too

edit - I think the street is called Eliza St
Good to hear.
One of the worst things about London is that all of the coffee places are the same and usually one of three chains: Starbucks, Costa, Caffe Nero.

They are absolutely everywhere.Carbon copies.

Matt, you are so right about the UK - the 3 chains serve up excuses for coffee - avoided them as far as possible. Everywhere where Australians ran coffee shops it was soooo much better - none seem to have got onto the idea of their own chains yet. There is easily a big enough market in the UK for what our guys do. All have great reputations. We have a top opportunity to avoid this here in Adelaide - a 'honey of a city' as someone recently said!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#1217 Post by Mants » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:45 pm

I am unaware if this has been posted or not, but local designer Cubik Cloth has opened a pop up store in the David Jones basement opposite Boost.

Waewick

#1218 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Whats wrong with cibo?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1219 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Waewick wrote:Whats wrong with cibo?
Bloody expensive :lol:

Waewick

#1220 Post by Waewick » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:53 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Waewick wrote:Whats wrong with cibo?
Bloody expensive :lol:
I'm not sure if you are really that upset about that?

but surely quality counts for something ? (well we live in Australia, so in general it doesn't. every one loves cheap.)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1221 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Cibo are good. I think the issue was that because of their success, they have become a ubiquitous chain store, which is the antithesis of the original sentiment. Even though Cibo's quality is being maintained as opposed to chains like Starbucks.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#1222 Post by mshagg » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Cibo's pricing isnt a problem; the uniformity of horrdenously weak, milky coffee throughout the chain is, though. Controlling for baristas, im guessing this is a deliberate choice in coffee beans used.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1223 Post by pushbutton » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:07 pm

I think at any coffee shop (franchised or otherwise) the quality varies depending on numerous factors unless you happen to be very lucky and find an employee who genuinely cares about it. Likewise the price of coffee is ridiculous at nearly all decent coffee shops these days. I guess it is just a combination of the fact they have to cover high rents etc, and the fact they charge because they can get away with it (whatever the market can bear, as they say, or whatever people are daft enough to pay as I say). I must admit though I must put myself in the category of those silly enough to pay several dollars for coffee on a regular basis. I just enjoy the coffee (if I am lucky enough to get a good Barista, which I usually am at McCafe West Lakes which is my favourite coffee shop).

Mants
Legendary Member!

#1224 Post by Mants » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:00 pm

i enjoyed your post (until i read the last sentence in parentheses)

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1225 Post by fishinajar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:55 pm

mshagg wrote:Cibo's pricing isnt a problem; the uniformity of horrdenously weak, milky coffee throughout the chain is, though. Controlling for baristas, im guessing this is a deliberate choice in coffee beans used.
+1
Also object to paying as much or more as else where and having to be beeped at by a large chunk of plastic to inform me I have to go fetch my own coffee.

Waewick

#1226 Post by Waewick » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:59 am

that is fairly standard all over the world, might be a case of being a bit precious.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1227 Post by mattblack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:31 pm

pushbutton wrote:I think at any coffee shop (franchised or otherwise) the quality varies depending on numerous factors unless you happen to be very lucky and find an employee who genuinely cares about it. Likewise the price of coffee is ridiculous at nearly all decent coffee shops these days. I guess it is just a combination of the fact they have to cover high rents etc, and the fact they charge because they can get away with it (whatever the market can bear, as they say, or whatever people are daft enough to pay as I say). I must admit though I must put myself in the category of those silly enough to pay several dollars for coffee on a regular basis. I just enjoy the coffee (if I am lucky enough to get a good Barista, which I usually am at McCafe West Lakes which is my favourite coffee shop).
How did I guess?

Your getting predictable pushie :lol:

A playground and cheap coffee, your life must be sweet!

pushbutton wrote:
What on earth is a "warehouse cafe"?

One thing I can safely predict even though I don't know much about it, is that the coffee is most probably ridiculously overpriced, and the seating area not particularly spacious or comfortable.

Not the sort of place I'd go for a coffee, but thankfully there's plenty of alternatives nearby.
mattblack wrote:
Macca's doesn't count

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1228 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 pm

mattblack wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I think at any coffee shop (franchised or otherwise) the quality varies depending on numerous factors unless you happen to be very lucky and find an employee who genuinely cares about it. Likewise the price of coffee is ridiculous at nearly all decent coffee shops these days. I guess it is just a combination of the fact they have to cover high rents etc, and the fact they charge because they can get away with it (whatever the market can bear, as they say, or whatever people are daft enough to pay as I say). I must admit though I must put myself in the category of those silly enough to pay several dollars for coffee on a regular basis. I just enjoy the coffee (if I am lucky enough to get a good Barista, which I usually am at McCafe West Lakes which is my favourite coffee shop).
How did I guess?

Your getting predictable pushie :lol:

A playground and cheap coffee, your life must be sweet!

pushbutton wrote:
What on earth is a "warehouse cafe"?

One thing I can safely predict even though I don't know much about it, is that the coffee is most probably ridiculously overpriced, and the seating area not particularly spacious or comfortable.

Not the sort of place I'd go for a coffee, but thankfully there's plenty of alternatives nearby.
mattblack wrote:
Macca's doesn't count
Things I look for in a coffee shop (in no particular order as they're all important to me):

- Pleasant, clean, modern, and above all comfortable environment. Not too crowded and definitely no difficulty in getting a table.

- Good coffee (obviously). I'm not a connoisseur so that simply means it tastes good to me.

- Reasonable prices (relative to what you might expect in most cafes as that unfortunately is the reality if you choose to buy coffee out). Of course I can make it at home for next to nothing.

- Service which is reasonably quick, but most importantly genuinely friendly.

- Coffee must be served in a cup or mug. NOT a paper cup or a glass as some cafes do.

- Newspaper must be available for me to read (without paying for it), and the tables must be big enough to comfortably accommodate the newspaper as well as my coffee, and any food I have.

- Good selection of cakes and pastries, at sensible prices.

McCafe West Lakes ticks all these boxes if I go in the morning when a particular barista is on duty. I am being quite specific, as not all McCafes are as good, and even West Lakes isn't if that barista is not there.

So if that's predictable, ok with me! I find it ticks those boxes better than Gloria Jeans or the Coffee Club, or Hudsons, or any of the independent Cafes I've tried in Adelaide.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1229 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Gloria Jeans I wouldn't touch with a 50 foot barge pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1230 Post by how good is he » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Brunelli's (Rundle St City, West Lakes, Glynde)- buy a $5 Brunelli key ring & you get all future coffees/lattes/cappuchino/hot choc etc for only $2.00 when you show the keyring. Good coffee and value.