News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Bacon
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1276 Post by Bacon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:Just writing to remind you that Little Miss Mexico on Grenfell is a pop-up pub and will be closing for good in May after a year! :(
Does that include the Miss Miami part? Chances are it will re-launch as something else.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1277 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Bacon wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:Just writing to remind you that Little Miss Mexico on Grenfell is a pop-up pub and will be closing for good in May after a year! :(
Does that include the Miss Miami part? Chances are it will re-launch as something else.

it is meant to be replaced with this

http://sensational-adelaide.com.au/foru ... 05&start=0

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1278 Post by Ben » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:08 am

Unfortunatly I don't have access to this article but looks like somethign exciting could be happening

http://www.insideretail.com.au/2014/03/ ... de-centre/

Renewal project for Adelaide centre
By Claire Hibbit on March 26, 2014
South Australian non for profit organisation, Renew Adelaide, is looking to revamp Rundle Mall’s deserted Charles St Plaza with a new initiative targeted at young, creative start ups.This story is Inside Retail PREMIUM content.

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1279 Post by Aikhme » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:45 pm

The Rundle Mall Development is hideous!

Not going there to shop! :toilet:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1280 Post by crawf » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Aikhme wrote:The Rundle Mall Development is hideous!

That's nice.

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1281 Post by Aikhme » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:15 pm

crawf wrote:

That's nice.
No it;s hideous!

they could have done a bit better to be frank. it is not a good development at all!

Mants
Legendary Member!

#1282 Post by Mants » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:04 pm

they could have done a bit better to be frank. it is not a good development at all!
how does that in any way affect the quality of the goods available in the shops there, thus affecting your desire to go there to shop?

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1283 Post by Hooligan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Aikhme wrote:
crawf wrote:

That's nice.
No it;s hideous!

Why? do you think it looks like a toilet seat?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1284 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am

I can't understand how it would look hideous?

it is a bunch of pavers and some trees.

I think they have done a great job so far in what would be a huge undertaking.

The only thing I am worried about is that they are going to put the silly Gawler place canopy back, as it would appear to defeat the purpose of the re-development.

Nathan

#1285 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:09 am

Waewick wrote:The only thing I am worried about is that they are going to put the silly Gawler place canopy back, as it would appear to defeat the purpose of the re-development.
They're not. There'll be a completely new canopy, on Gawler Pl itself, just north of where the old one was (so technically not in the mall).

Waewick

#1286 Post by Waewick » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 am

Nathan wrote:
Waewick wrote:The only thing I am worried about is that they are going to put the silly Gawler place canopy back, as it would appear to defeat the purpose of the re-development.
They're not. There'll be a completely new canopy, on Gawler Pl itself, just north of where the old one was (so technically not in the mall).
that is great news.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1287 Post by pushbutton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:21 pm

The design of the paving is very poor, and I'm not keen on the benches or the fact that they're keeping the horrible old fountain and pig statues rather than taking the opportunity to install nice looking new public art. However I think there is a seperate thread for this.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#1288 Post by slenderman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 pm

pushbutton wrote:The design of the paving is very poor, and I'm not keen on the benches or the fact that they're keeping the horrible old fountain and pig statues rather than taking the opportunity to install nice looking new public art. However I think there is a seperate thread for this.
Look, I think you're treated too harshly on this forum, but what on earth is wrong with the fountain? It's one of the only things that remain of the old Exbibition building we tore down for...absolutely nothing. I'm sorry but here I can absolutely see why the NIMBYs want to keep it. It's not impossible for them to put some new art up, there's plenty of open space that this upgrade has made.

And you're right, there is another thread for this. The Rundle Mall thread. We should probably continue this discussion there...

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1289 Post by Aikhme » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Mants wrote:

how does that in any way affect the quality of the goods available in the shops there, thus affecting your desire to go there to shop?
The goods and services are available elsewhere, without the inconvenience and expense of city parking etc.

That said, the retailers in the mall have been let down badly by the Council and the Rundle Mall Management because the development does not provide a good draw card to bring in more consumers/shoppers. In fact it is shockingly woeful.

Nathan

#1290 Post by Nathan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Aikhme wrote:
Mants wrote:

The goods and services are available elsewhere, without the inconvenience and expense of city parking etc.

That said, the retailers in the mall have been let down badly by the Council and the Rundle Mall Management because the development does not provide a good draw card to bring in more consumers/shoppers. In fact it is shockingly woeful.
How is it woeful? Despite the army of people who are just regurgitating the rubbish that's been printed in the local rag, we're getting a mall which is much more flexible, has better access, has more seating, and (once the trees have grown) more shade. Not to mention the non-public facing upgrades (such as the underground services).

Not all the goods & services are available elsewhere (and the development is helping attract some larger stores to Adelaide for the first time), and city parking is hardly inconvenient or expensive (in fact it's the opposite).