News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3451 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:30 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:11 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Nort wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:29 am
I'm very much of the opinion that they should semi-pedestrianize Rundle Street.

Make the footpaths wider with more space for street dining, and reduce the road to one lane of one way traffic for access.

If that is successful, move to making the street closed off like during Fringe weekends for all summer weekend evenings.
Absolutely agree - have all car park access from Pulteney Street on a two way access road that would extend no further than the Wilson car park entry and make the remaining portions beween Wilson and Frome and West Terrace single lane and ideally shared-space as opposed to a dedicated vehicle lane. Potentially, when the UPark is gone then the Wilson access could be reconfigured to be off of Pulteney Street north of Centrepoint.

Ideally this would be a precursor to a full pedestrianisation.
I'm a big fan of all of these ideas.
I think Pulteney Street to Frome Street this can be achieved easily, but what we all forget is that Rundle Street is dead for pedestrians during the winter and businesses rely on vehicle traffic and roadside parking for a lot of their trade. I certainly think that it during the summer months they should explore having longer periods of time where the entire street is closed, be that whole weekends or every night of the week.

SBD

#3452 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:54 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:30 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
Absolutely agree - have all car park access from Pulteney Street on a two way access road that would extend no further than the Wilson car park entry and make the remaining portions beween Wilson and Frome and West Terrace single lane and ideally shared-space as opposed to a dedicated vehicle lane. Potentially, when the UPark is gone then the Wilson access could be reconfigured to be off of Pulteney Street north of Centrepoint.

I think Pulteney Street to Frome Street this can be achieved easily, but what we all forget is that Rundle Street is dead for pedestrians during the winter and businesses rely on vehicle traffic and roadside parking for a lot of their trade. I certainly think that it during the summer months they should explore having longer periods of time where the entire street is closed, be that whole weekends or every night of the week.
I wonder if anyone has done an actual survey of customers to find out how far they walked from their car Even better if the results could also be weighted by how much they spent.

"we all know" that inner-city businesses depend on having parking right out the front.

I have difficulty walking long distances, so the last few times I have been in the city, my wife drove rather than us using public transport. We parked in Pitt Street Care Park to access a few places along Pitt Street three days. We drove to the Wilson Parking station opposite Calvary Hospital for appointments at Calvary Adelaide (yes, one day we used both places) and another day recently used Wilson, then drove to UPark Central Market. All of the places we went to had on-street parking in front, but we didn't use it as parking stations are more reliably available.

I doubt the bulk of a day's business at any time of day for an inner-city business comes from customers who have walked less than a hundred metres from their car parked on the street.

Nort

#3453 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:20 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:30 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:

That's why I think it should be a staged transition, to minimize any negative effects as the businesses adapt and discover if the extra customers are there. Certainly in the middle of winter a traffic-less Rundle Street probably isn't any less appealing than a pedestrianized version, either way I and I suspect >90% of customers would prefer to be indoors.

During warmer months however if I knew that the street had a better atmosphere I would be much more likely to wander down there for a drink or a meal than I currently would.

Starting off with the street being adapted to a single lane in one direction in a "share space" style construction would allow the immediate retention of as many street parking spaces as currently exist, while adding a lot more space for street dining and allowing easy adaption to expand the pedestrian space in future if the initiative is successful without major works being required.

The Scooter Guy

#3454 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm

UPDATES from me:

1. The former Rhodes & Beckett on Grenfell St outside the 'Black Stump' is becoming a new BOQ (Bank Of Queensland) branch after sitting vacant for a couple of years.
2. Lucky 7 on Bank St could not compete with Adelaide Convenience on North Tce and so it has closed down.
3. The Stage Shop has left the city (moved from Leigh St to Mile End).
4. Australia's Pizza House on Bank St is being converted to a pirate themed whisky bar.
5. Former 83 On Currie (Vacant since 2018) and Avant Garde are still in limbo.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#3455 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:15 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm
pirate themed whisky bar.
But pirates drank rum...

The Scooter Guy

#3456 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:15 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm
pirate themed whisky bar.
But pirates drank rum...
It's called the 'Caribbean Rum & Whisky Bar'
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3457 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:16 pm

New home of Rebel on Rundle Mall:

Maybe one day this canopy will be finished:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#3458 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Any idea why Rundle Square management/contractors are taking so damn long to complete the external facelift? Side-note: I hope there is a long-term plan to re-clad the white precast elements of the SA Health building above with black to match up with what's happening on street level.

Also, I spoke to staff at Dymocks the other week, the timeframe is to have a new permanent location by October/November. Whilst they're of the understanding they will likely go back to a Rundle Mall frontage, I do wonder whether the timing of Rebel opening their new store (and potentially closing one or both of their existing stores) might somewhat coincide with Dymocks' timeframe and therefore might potentially lead to Myer Centre's management offering up Rebel's existing footprint to Dymocks. Apparently centre management are really pleased with the foot traffic that Dymocks are generating for the upper levels. Also, considering Dymocks Rundle Mall/Adelaide didn't technically change owners per-se, it simply fell back into the lap of the national franchise owner, I would suggest that they're not too concerned with profit margins like a franchisee might be.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3459 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:11 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:16 pm
New home of Rebel on Rundle Mall:

Would of been perfect for Uniqlo or Zara :roll: .... Oh well

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3460 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:38 pm

With Target in Melbourne and Perth CBDs being converted into Kmart. I wonder if Target in Adelaide's CBD will eventually be converted into a Kmart too?. This would replace the current smaller format store in the Renaissance Centre.. one of the ugliest buildings in the mall.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3461 Post by Eurostar » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:13 am

crawf wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:38 pm
With Target in Melbourne and Perth CBDs being converted into Kmart. I wonder if Target in Adelaide's CBD will eventually be converted into a Kmart too?. This would replace the current smaller format store in the Renaissance Centre.. one of the ugliest buildings in the mall.
Ideally Kmart would be best in the Rundle Place on level 1 and 2.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3462 Post by Norman » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:48 am

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:13 am
crawf wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:38 pm
Ideally Kmart would be best in the Rundle Place on level 1 and 2.
I disagree. Having luxury brands on the ground floor and a discount department store on the upper doesn't mix well. The current location works well because it's an old, run-down building.

ChillyPhilly

#3463 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:00 am

Something happening in the Myer Centre on Level 4.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#3464 Post by Uncle Monty » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:19 am

CDW Studios are expanding outwards by filling in some of the void to create extra floor space.

The Scooter Guy

#3465 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:37 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:00 am
Something happening in the Myer Centre on Level 4.

This past month, Priceline Pharmacy on the lower ground level closed its doors for good.
Just recently, Hairhouse Warehouse on the same floor has also suddenly shut for good.
(On the shutter door, there's a letter from CBRE stating that the premises have been repossessed).
The former Nine West, Motoquip and Shoe Shed tenancies are still hoarded up.
Unless the management gets its act together at anytime somehow, the entire centre will be NO MORE in a few years because we are as this nigh to losing it. :wallbash: