News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mants
Legendary Member!

#16 Post by Mants » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:10 pm

theres Starbucks down on Moseley Square at Glenelg now

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#17 Post by tidus0 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:46 pm

apparenyly starbucks aren't all that good my friends parents when there and they were not impressed (mind you it is one's own opinion)

Mants
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Mants » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:52 pm

tidus, have you tried Starbucks for yourself?

one chain i wish would open up in Adelaide,,, Krispy Kremes! ooooooh yea

hahaha

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Snorkie » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:59 am

Mants wrote:tidus, have you tried Starbucks for yourself?

one chain i wish would open up in Adelaide,,, Krispy Kremes! ooooooh yea

hahaha
Yeah no joke hey, every time i go to melbourne or sydney i just go through kilos of the stuff. But yeah starbucks aint all that great, but hey at least we got illy and cibo, which melb or syd cant vouch for, cause i would just die without em...

julikaee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#20 Post by julikaee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 pm

I was quite excited when I found out Starbucks were opening stores in Adel but it just didn't measure up to the overseas Starbucks. Quite sad. I'm Cibo all the way.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#21 Post by Redback20 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:36 am

overseas where julikaee? i'm intrigued as only previous experience of starbucks for me was in UK and have you ever found a decent coffee in england? its all instant dishwater as a rule. Not to be confused with the rest of europe where I've never had a bad one.

Still... I tried the one on rundle mall, $4.50 or suchlike for again a very tasteless cup, or maybe you pay for the gimmicks (your name scrawled on the side)

When Adelaide is blessed (believe me, it is) with so much good coffee, who needs starbucks... once the novelty wears off they'll find out soon enough for themselves, or have to shape up to the standard we're used to!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#22 Post by Ben » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:51 am

From The Advertiser:
Youthworks: A new chapter

ALEXANDRA TREDREA
August 20, 2007 02:15am
ADELAIDE entrepreneur Martin Haese next month will relaunch the Youthworks brand he founded in 1993 as an exclusive men's fashion emporium.

Two years after selling the Youthworks Group and its 10 Adelaide and Melbourne outlets, Mr Haese said he was unhappy with the direction the company's national owners had taken with the street fashion label.

So this year Mr Haese bought back the Youthworks name and describes the relaunch as a "second coming" and a "new chapter".

The new store, on the corner of Grenfell St and James Place, on the ground floor of the city's historic Executor Trustee building, will feature upmarket men's casual clothing, footwear, accessories and suiting.

It also will house a unisex Youthworks-branded hair salon, a tailoring service and a dedicated "denim room" which will stock brands such as Diesel.

The store will be accessible from entrances off James Place and Grenfell St - the latter entrance featuring contemporary art and furniture for sale.

Mr Haese, who is managing director of retail advisory group Retail IQ, said the store was a first for Adelaide.

"Men's fashion locally is currently dominated by streetwear, surfwear and more traditional menswear," he said.

National retail group Brazin bought Youthworks in 2005 for an undisclosed amount. In 2003-04, the Youthworks Group recorded sales turnover of $20 million.

Mr Haese said Brazin, the owner of major retail brands such as Sanity and Bras 'N' Things, had a "different vision and operating strategy" for Youthworks.

"They changed the supply chain which, in retail, is nine-tenths of the law," he said.

"I think the market didn't connect with that."

He hoped the area surrounding the new store would in coming years resemble international fashion strips such as New York's Fifth Avenue.

Mr Haese said German-based fashion house Hugo Boss was preparing to open its first men's and women's boutique store in Grenfell St.
Another comparison, this time With New York's Fifth Avenue. I did not know a Hugo Boss store was opening though. Does anyone know the location?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide's New fashion strip?

#23 Post by SRW » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 am

I have to admit, these exaggerated New York comparisons do get tiring. Still, it would be nice to see a revival on Grenfell St, and, more importantly, a makeover. The buildings and streetscape are grotty.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Matt
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Fifth Avenue? :wank:
For the love of god, this is Adelaide, not some thriving metropolis.

Would love to see Grenfell Street turn into something similar to Chapel Street in Melbourne (well, South Yarra/Prahran).

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#25 Post by rhino » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 pm

SRW wrote:I have to admit, these exaggerated New York comparisons do get tiring. Still, it would be nice to see a revival on Grenfell St, and, more importantly, a makeover. The buildings and streetscape are grotty.
I like Grenfell St, I think the streetscape is quite nice, with the hi-rises stepped back from the street and the old buildings showcased. Franklin/Flinders gets my vote for "desperate for a makeover".
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#26 Post by rhino » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:32 pm

Matt wrote:Fifth Avenue? :wank:
For the love of god, this is Adelaide, not some thriving metropolis.
HEY!! We are a thriving metropolis aren't we? :D
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:33 pm

I don't wanna see Grenfell Street become a clone of Chapel St.

While I love Chapel St, I would rather see Grenfell St have its own style. Though we already have a nice fashion strip - King William Road.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 pm

rhino wrote:
SRW wrote:I have to admit, these exaggerated New York comparisons do get tiring. Still, it would be nice to see a revival on Grenfell St, and, more importantly, a makeover. The buildings and streetscape are grotty.
I like Grenfell St, I think the streetscape is quite nice, with the hi-rises stepped back from the street and the old buildings showcased. Franklin/Flinders gets my vote for "desperate for a makeover".
I like the buildings too. They're just dirty.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:48 am

I think James Place is a great little street but a few more 'respectable' retail stores can only help this little gem.

rhino

#30 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:52 am

If you want a laneway that's full of life, Moonta Street is pretty good
cheers,
Rhino