[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: U/C: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#901 Post by Paulns » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Does anyone know when this development is due to be complete? I can't wait to photograph this under lights!! :D
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#902 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 pm

The new stage canopy is a lil er... underwhelming.

They should of built a new canopy over the whole Gawler Place intersection, something large and outstanding to the eye.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#903 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:04 pm

crawf wrote:The new stage canopy is a lil er... underwhelming.

They should of built a new canopy over the whole Gawler Place intersection, something large and outstanding to the eye.
Yes, I've been watching progress on this. I can't see how it going to turn out from what they've done so far. It's very... um... yeah. Waiting for it to be completed before I make any further comment.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#904 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:30 am

Paulns wrote:Does anyone know when this development is due to be complete? I can't wait to photograph this under lights!! :D
This month. That's the vast majority of it anyway. The remainder may be ongoing yet.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Michael S
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#905 Post by Michael S » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:52 pm

I have seen this so called near Gawler Place canopy going up between French Connection and Strandbags. Personally I think it's a weird looking thing and nothing really exciting as others have said "It would be nice to see something eye catching". This new one being put up is too short compared to the previous one. If I had to choose between both of them I'd say the old one. I wonder how long this one will last and if the public will like it. With the old trees removed and these Chinese elms replacing them the mall is bare and very open at least for the next 30 or more years til they get to the height the old ones were. The mall lacks shade from the hot summer sun. You have to into the shops just to find shade.

Nathan

#906 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Michael S wrote:With the old trees removed and these Chinese elms replacing them the mall is bare and very open at least for the next 30 or more years til they get to the height the old ones were. The mall lacks shade from the hot summer sun. You have to into the shops just to find shade.
Chinese elms have quite a rapid growth rate (can reach 9m in 5 years), so I doubt we'll have to wait 30 years for suitable shade.

Waewick

#907 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:58 pm

In relation to the canopy. Im going to have to disagree.

The last one was a pain in the arse, amy event big or small made it near impossible to walk past and reallt bloody annoying.

Having it off to the side means people can actually go on shopping if they aren't interested in what ever they are doing under the canopy.

Michael S
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#908 Post by Michael S » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:29 am

Yeah I guess I can agree with Waewick on that I have found that area at times frustrating just the same as walking in the narrow walkways with all the fencing around the construction area. I hope they put up some decent lighting. Good to see the silver balls back in the mall. Hope they do a good job with this canopy.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#909 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:00 am

People who keep talking about the "hot summer sun" have you ever actually been in Rundle Mall?

During the awful heatwave at the start of the year I went shopping in the mall and found the second I walked into the mall from a side street, the temperature dropped significantly. I think all the shops were pumping their AC so much that you could feel it in the mall. Secondly, because of the cavernous nature of Rundle Mall, there isn't actually a lot of time when it is bathed in sun light for long periods of time - the buildings actually provide a lot of shade. Sure it will be nicer when the trees have grown but summer isn't really the problem. I think if it's pissing with rain we need to worry more.

Patrick_27

#910 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Waewick wrote:In relation to the canopy. Im going to have to disagree.

The last one was a pain in the arse, amy event big or small made it near impossible to walk past and reallt bloody annoying.

Having it off to the side means people can actually go on shopping if they aren't interested in what ever they are doing under the canopy.
Agreed. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen them expand the mall into Gawler Place more so that can have larger public events in the mall. Similar to the original plan to have a massive plaza between Rundle Mall and North Terrace.

Patrick_27

#911 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:36 pm

Also, any reason why they haven't re-done/paved the laneway that runs between Adelaide Central Plaza (David Jones) and Rundle Central? It still has the old mall pavers and doesn't look as though it's going to be done. Could this be to do with David Jones upgrading their building facade?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#912 Post by pushbutton » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:01 pm

What is Rundle Central?

Nathan

#913 Post by Nathan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:51 pm

pushbutton wrote:What is Rundle Central?
Old Coles building on corner of Charles St. Currently home to ANZ and Reject Shop.

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#914 Post by stronic » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:18 pm

cruel_world00 wrote: I think if it's pissing with rain we need to worry more.
People need to deal with the rain. Be prepared for it if it's forecasted and you're going out. Bring an umbrella etc. so you don't have to scurry to the nearest shelter. It's a lot better than being absolutely scorched with possible melanomas from the ridiculous Australian summer sun. People are so silly when it comes to a bit of rain, particularly Adelaideans :lol:

Nathan

#915 Post by Nathan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:25 pm

stronic wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote: I think if it's pissing with rain we need to worry more.
People need to deal with the rain. Be prepared for it if it's forecasted and you're going out. Bring an umbrella etc. so you don't have to scurry to the nearest shelter. It's a lot better than being absolutely scorched with possible melanomas from the ridiculous Australian summer sun. People are so silly when it comes to a bit of rain, particularly Adelaideans :lol:
Agreed, considering how little we get compared to almost any other city.