[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#1096 Post by monotonehell » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:08 am

SRW wrote:Somebody please think of the children!
The judge said I wasn't allowed to anymore.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1097 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:What a difference a day makes - the longitudinal cables went up last night and the supporting cables have been tensioned along the western half of the Mall. I reckon this is going to look brilliant.
It is starting to look better now, and will look even better once the light wires are cleaned up.

The only thing I absolutely dislike and believe ruins it, is the poles. They look out of place and ruin the visual appearance - not that I blame the council on this.. Maybe they will look better with colourful banners and lighting on top.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1098 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:46 pm

crawf wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:What a difference a day makes - the longitudinal cables went up last night and the supporting cables have been tensioned along the western half of the Mall. I reckon this is going to look brilliant.
It is starting to look better now, and will look even better once the light wires are cleaned up.

The only thing I absolutely dislike and believe ruins it, is the poles. They look out of place and ruin the visual appearance - not that I blame the council on this.. Maybe they will look better with colourful banners and lighting on top.
I blame the council. Look at Bourke Street Mall in Melbourne, do you notice that there are any poles supporting their cable-lighting system? Hardly.

These poles could have been shorter and much more subtle, instead the council have made a point of their existence.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1099 Post by rev » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:47 pm

crawf wrote:

Why couldn't they install poles that light up and change colours, similar to what LAX has? Obviously not as big.
More coloured/interactive lighting features could form part of a wider element from the Rundle St carpark with the existing light feature/screen, to Hindley st.
But hey, it's the City Council..

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1100 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:20 pm

rev wrote:Why couldn't they install poles that light up and change colours, similar to what LAX has? Obviously not as big.
More coloured/interactive lighting features could form part of a wider element from the Rundle St carpark with the existing light feature/screen, to Hindley st.
But hey, it's the City Council..
There's a lot of electrical being installed at the bases and on top. So you may get something like what you wish for. Although not exactly like LAX's gateway.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1101 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:13 am

Woo it's September and we have a few lights. It's hard to stay positive and wait for the end result when it looks so bad at present. Reminds me of a bowling green. I thought the actual lights would be more discreet like in the render.
benlights.jpg
benlights.jpg (485.45 KiB) Viewed 2942 times

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1102 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:05 am

I snapped a couple of pics as I ran past this morning also...
mallLights.jpg
mallLights.jpg (431.79 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
mallLightsCloseup.jpg
mallLightsCloseup.jpg (207.17 KiB) Viewed 2938 times

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1103 Post by Pants » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Drove past today. I'm really trying to stay positive about the eventual end result, but it's getting harder. It all looks pretty cumbersome and intrusive.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1104 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Pants wrote:Drove past today. I'm really trying to stay positive about the eventual end result, but it's getting harder. It all looks pretty cumbersome and intrusive.
Indeed. I'm hoping it will tidy up nicely when fully installed. I was imagining something less ... last century cable-ey...
Artist's impressions are often cleaner than reality I suppose. Maybe it's because it's overcast today?

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1105 Post by Pants » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:10 pm

I was thinking that the weather wasn't helping too, although the colour choice for the lights makes them stick out more than silver and the cabling's thicker than I expected.

Still, I'm sure once it's up and running people will get used to it and consider it less conspicuous. I'm already used to those big effing poles!

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1106 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Looks OK from the pics so far, but agree that the silver would have been better.

The black looks a bit... overbearing. Like CCTV.

Looking forward to seeing them at night (and switched on)

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1107 Post by jk1237 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:53 pm

I don't have a problem with this at all and I look forward to the end result. I think it will turn out good. The reaction here is way over the top

Patrick_27

#1108 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 pm

I like the light they've installed, they have character. However the poles which mean to be ultra-modern really clash.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1109 Post by Pikey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Here comes that bi-polar North Adelaide residents attitude again!!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Patrick_27

#1110 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Pikey wrote:Here comes that bi-polar North Adelaide residents attitude again!!
Not at all. The elements of the original proposal are great, the new additions (the poles) stink. Quite a reasonable reaction in my book.