[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

[COM] Re: SOS for 'dying' Rundle Mall

#106 Post by Shuz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Seriously, any excuse for a article.

Rundle Mall is fine. Next, please.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#107 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Also, cheaper parking is NOT the answer. South Australians need to learn that having a car is a privilege not a right.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#108 Post by monotonehell » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:18 pm

If the car parking is so expensive, why do all the close by car parks fill to capacity and have a constant turn over on Friday nights and weekends? The rates are also set to discourage over staying (ie workers).

The Mall is busy everyday, it's hard to walk from point A to point B trying to get past all the shoppers. Friday nights and weekends are the same.

This article is a beat up. Then there's all the comments from suburbanites who are too lazy to get out of their lounge rooms. The same people who complain "there's nothing to do in Adelaide." While never leaving their houses to see.

I could also take the same "crowd free" photograph that AdelaideNow in any of the Westfields. You just have to wait for the right moment and click.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#109 Post by Hooligan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:Also, cheaper parking is NOT the answer. South Australians need to learn that having a car is a privilege not a right.
Well thanks to our plastic bags laws you need a car to go shopping.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#110 Post by Nathan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Hooligan wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:Also, cheaper parking is NOT the answer. South Australians need to learn that having a car is a privilege not a right.
That might explain why my fridge is empty, and I never have any new clothes. Oh wait, that's completely not true. Please explain why shopping is impossible without a car because of the lack of free plastic bags?

danielphin
Gold-Member ;)

#111 Post by danielphin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:09 pm

Hooligan wrote:Well thanks to our plastic bags laws you need a car to go shopping.
My bus ticket is interested in hearing the answer to this one. Also, my legs.

This topic is FUD. All retail areas seem to be turning into generic garbage IMHO. It seems social activities, including restaurants, cafes - which the mall lacks, will revive some retail strips.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#112 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:31 pm

Hooligan wrote:

That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#113 Post by Wayno » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 am

Increase the CBD population - problem solved...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#114 Post by stelaras » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Wayno wrote:Increase the CBD population - problem solved...

Exactly....how can less than 20,000 permanent residents in the CBD sustain all those shops?

Nathan

#115 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:18 am

Wayno wrote:Increase the CBD population - problem solved...
Here, here!

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#116 Post by omada » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Totally agree with the consensus here, the mall is hardly dying "the death of a thousand cuts". But it can be improved, it needs to focus its image on high-end fashion to distinguish itself from the suburban competitors. And, as we have mentioned so many times before - activate the laneways!!!!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#117 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Rundle Mall needs a facelift, but dying?. Please

rhino

#118 Post by rhino » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:44 pm

I was in Rundle Mall at lunchtime today, and it was PACKED! Seriously, you couldn't afford to walk along looking at something other than where you were going, or you would have bumped into people, and it's like that most days. The Tiser is just trying to sell papers.
cheers,
Rhino

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#119 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Agreed, Rundle Mall is far from 'dying', but I would not mind if someone is able to spend money on it if the money genuinely improved it in some way.

one other thing - to get a different perspective on Rundle Mall (eg. from a height), there are very few opportunities in the mall. One is FIRST bar (Richmond Hotel) where there is a bar with balcony on first floor (while good, is not really accessable for minors because of the alcohol) - the other I can think of is Billy Baxter's cafe in the Myer Centre. The view from Billy Baxter's is actually not bad if you sit right at the window, because you can see and notice the buildings that make up the mall alot more than you might simply walking through.

The main problem with the view from Billy Baxter's is the incredibly awkward setup of the seating 'at the window' - there's a metre of gap between where you can sit, and the edge (window), effectively obscuring the view to a certain degree. So, what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't mind more stuff at height on the mall which gives people a bit of a view. I'll have to test it out, but i remember hearing that the Renaissance building was discouraging people from simply riding the lifts.... the very demand for simply riding an elevator should be enough to convince you that people are wanting a view and that it is available nowhere proper.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#120 Post by Hooligan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:28 pm

To back up what i said before, Do all of you carry green bags on you all the time? if you are out somewhere and realise you need a few things from the shop how do you carry them?

Code: Select all

Signature removed