[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3946 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Final result aside, yesterday proved why a redeveloped Adelaide Oval had to happen.

The ground has been transformed from a picturesque, but antiquated ground to a picturesque, yet state of the art stadium. Whether it's the old school charm of the old scoreboard (with the same 'goal', 'behinds', 'points' signage that has been used for decades), of the lap of luxury that is the Audi Stadium Club, this is now a truly world class stadium.

Getting to the ground was a breeze. Yes the train was packed, but so were the old FX buses to AAMI. Getting across the bridge was easy. Getting into the ground was easy. Getting food and drink was easy. Was amazing walking around the concourse, that overlooks the ground to your seat. The video screens are outstanding. The stats that are on the northern screen are brilliant, and even small things like the graphics are a massive improvement on the ones that were at AAMI Stadium.

Exiting the ground was easy. Straight out on the bridge, straight across to the railway station, and straight onto a train. The bridge was packed but it flowed, and there were no queues for trains. Only issue was the connecting bus from the train only operates hourly and doesn't connect with the train, but ah well a nice 20 minute walk home from the interchange. All up, travel time is about the same as AAMI Stadium, but much more direct.

All up, a brilliant day, and truly the dawn of a new era.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3947 Post by jk1237 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Vee wrote:Fabulous atmosphere at the Adelaide Oval yesterday.
Spotted: Port and Crows fans mingling in the queues outside the Oval and chatting.
Huge numbers of 'special guests' and legends, local and interstate, arriving before the game.
Massive numbers of fans using the Footbridge before and after the match.
Buzz in the city.
Lots of people making use of the free public transport (not just Footy Express).

Only negative for me was the huge bottleneck at the scanning turnstiles for people moving from the southern/riverbank stand to the western stand. The system could not cope and extra manual scanners (did not work or intermittent) added to the bottleneck.

Overall, great excitement and praise for our redeveloped Adelaide Oval and footy in the city. And lots of love from the interstate media.
I agree entirely, however I didn't notice any turnstiles in operation between the western and southern stands. It looked like an army of green shirts manually checking tickets

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3948 Post by Aikhme » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:11 pm

mooshie wrote:So you don't like Rundle Mall and you have a weak payout of the new oval (could say any stadium with a white roof looks like a toilet bowl ) great contribution with your first 2 posts. :applause:
wasn't a payout! It really looked like a toilet seat from the air!

But as for the Rundle Mall, yes that was an honest payout because it is just hideous! :?

There were a lot of bogans around the city as well, more than usual for the city of Churches! Was something on? :P

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3949 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:54 pm

jk1237 wrote: I agree entirely, however I didn't notice any turnstiles in operation between the western and southern stands. It looked like an army of green shirts manually checking tickets
There's 2 turnstiles at the Riverbank/Chappell Stand crossover, which is sufficient for cricket but not for the football, which would be why there was an army of ticket scanners.

In hindsight, they probably should've put in more turnstiles to factor in the bigger football crowds that will use the Western Stands.

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3950 Post by Aikhme » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:13 pm

In my opinion, they should've built a Northern Stand, and left enough room for the wonderful old scoreboard.

As for the trees, they could shift them into the parklands surrounding the ground.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3951 Post by Hooligan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Before the game started i was loving the atmosphere, something I haven't done in years. I simply can't believe this is going to be the norm now. oh and we should keep the northern hill because it is awesome.

Also, Carn the Pear!

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Mants
Legendary Member!

#3952 Post by Mants » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Aikhme wrote:In my opinion, they should've built a Northern Stand, and left enough room for the wonderful old scoreboard.

As for the trees, they could shift them into the parklands surrounding the ground.
Are you aware of what the aerial root structure of a moreton bay fig tree looks like? I don't think it would be possible to shift one anywhere. As for your toilet seat comment...here, have this... :toilet:

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#3953 Post by spiller » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:57 pm

.I had seats in the northern banking just in front of the northern mound and had a fantastic view of all three stands. It was phenomenal to see every single seat filled.

The thing that blew me away the most was the noise level. With 50,000 spectators, the noise is similar to the MCG with 90,000+. Needless to say MUCH louder than the old AAMI Stadium which was more open.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3954 Post by ghs » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Great photos mate. I'll transfer them onto skyscrapercity.

It will be interesting to see the crowds which Port Adelaide get there. 45,000
is possible if they keep winning.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#3955 Post by spiller » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm

ghs wrote:Great photos mate. I'll transfer them onto skyscrapercity.

It will be interesting to see the crowds which Port Adelaide get there. 45,000
is possible if they keep winning.
already put them there :D

I think both clubs will regularly see crowds over 40K this season. I'm interested to see how many the crows get next week against sydney. 50K may not be out of the question for that game.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#3956 Post by Allkai » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 am

jk1237 wrote:
Vee wrote:Fabulous atmosphere at the Adelaide Oval yesterday.
Spotted: Port and Crows fans mingling in the queues outside the Oval and chatting.
Huge numbers of 'special guests' and legends, local and interstate, arriving before the game.
Massive numbers of fans using the Footbridge before and after the match.
Buzz in the city.
Lots of people making use of the free public transport (not just Footy Express).

Only negative for me was the huge bottleneck at the scanning turnstiles for people moving from the southern/riverbank stand to the western stand. The system could not cope and extra manual scanners (did not work or intermittent) added to the bottleneck.

Overall, great excitement and praise for our redeveloped Adelaide Oval and footy in the city. And lots of love from the interstate media.
I agree entirely, however I didn't notice any turnstiles in operation between the western and southern stands. It looked like an army of green shirts manually checking tickets
I was in the first throng hitting the crossover when the gates opened at 1:30.

Turnstiles were functioning, but for some reason a lot of tickets (mine included) scanned got a red light, and we got told we had go through the manually scanned entrance.

This caused a mess, with people cutting across all the other lines to get there.

Only other criticism - bar staff were woefully slow. First day, so benefit of the doubt. :wink:

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3957 Post by Aikhme » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Mants wrote:
Aikhme wrote:In my opinion, they should've built a Northern Stand, and left enough room for the wonderful old scoreboard.

Are you aware of what the aerial root structure of a moreton bay fig tree looks like? I don't think it would be possible to shift one anywhere. As for your toilet seat comment...here, have this... :toilet:
Thanks but I only use Lavender scented toilet paper from Burnside Village.

You got to admit that it does look like a toilet seat! :wink:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3958 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Aikhme wrote:
Mants wrote:

Thanks but I only use Lavender scented toilet paper from Burnside Village.

You got to admit that it does look like a toilet seat! :wink:

Lumpiest, gappiest toilet seat I've ever seen. But then, you seem to have sprouted a lot of shit in the short time you've been here, so I guess you know what you're talking bout.
cheers,
Rhino

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3959 Post by Aikhme » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:15 pm

rhino wrote: Lumpiest, gappiest toilet seat I've ever seen. But then, you seem to have sprouted a lot of shit in the short time you've been here, so I guess you know what you're talking bout.
Honestly mate!. There are plenty of gappy public toilets around. It looks just like one of those! :wink:

Now why would you respond in this way over someone expressing an opinion? Don't throw stones ...

Now I actually like the Adelaide oval. it's just a shame that an aerial shot isn't quite flattering to the Adelaide skyline but is easily fixed with a Northern Stand!

Matt
Legendary Member!

#3960 Post by Matt » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:19 pm

Via @thealexfragnito

Unflattering? Far from.