[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Vee
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: COM: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4126 Post by Vee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Have you been to the footy at Adelaide Oval this year? Used the Footy Express? Other transport?

This survey seeks input from footy fans who have attended AO this year who may have caught the Footy Express to/from the ground. You can also do the survey if you have caught other Adelaide Metro services or used other transport.

Adelaide Metro's Adelaide Oval Footy Express survey:
Adelaide Metro is seeking feedback on Adelaide Oval Footy Express 2014 services to make improvements for the 2015 season.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AOX2014

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4127 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks for the survey. Put in my feedback (mainly the poor connections to local services and AOX routes that are too longwinded - such as the AO28). Hopefully they listen.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4128 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:16 am

Did the survey. I basically noted that the experiences for train users will be very different to those of bus users, but did point out the capacity issues the Gawler line faces on days of big matches.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4129 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:07 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Did the survey. I basically noted that the experiences for train users will be very different to those of bus users, but did point out the capacity issues the Gawler line faces on days of big matches.
I noticed on Saturday that they were doing Salisbury services (stopping all stations to Salisbury) and Gawler Central services (express to Dry Creek). I thought that was a good way to skip those inner stations fewer people use, while ensuring those sticking out further north got home a little quicker, in less cramped conditions.

ghs

#4130 Post by ghs » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 am

Adelaide v Richmond sold out already this weekend.

50,000+ for Port Adelaide v Sydney on the weekend.

They said on 5AA that last year the same two team drew 16,000 at AAMI last year.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#4131 Post by Henwii » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Does anyone know the absolute exact capacity of each stand?

Probably irrelevant info in the grand scheme of things but I'm interested :D

Nowlistencarefully
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4132 Post by Nowlistencarefully » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Apparently there are 50000 seats and 3500 on the hill (standing spots)

Eastern stand - 19000
Riverbank - 14000

that leaves 17000 for behind the goals and members Western stand (was 14000 originally).

If current crowds are sustained with the current rate of sell-outs, all the more incentive to piggyback of a Commonwealth games bid to:
-expand members with another tier (done elegantly of course), bigger roof, add some more bars facing the ground (like the current members bar in the Chappell stand bar but higher up), whilst retaining open undercroft, facade and with egress to riverbank stand at the top, etc ($heaps) and free up seats elsewhere.
-move/knock down/rebuild that NW light tower off the hill and put it behind closer to the gates and clear up that area adjacent to members ($3-4million at current prices).
-improve the area between scoreboard and Wanganeen stand ($few million).
-very minor works to hill (slope near video screen etc so you can see)

An increase of capacity to 56000-58000 could be realistically possible (without removing trees and scoreboard)

I reckon this year demand for 55000+ has occurred a few times (at least half a dozen).

My concern is that people will get turned off going in the long run because too many games they want to go to are too often sold-out to the general public.

Patrick_27

#4133 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Nowlistencarefully wrote:Apparently there are 50000 seats and 3500 on the hill (standing spots)

Eastern stand - 19000
Riverbank - 14000

that leaves 17000 for behind the goals and members Western stand (was 14000 originally).

If current crowds are sustained with the current rate of sell-outs, all the more incentive to piggyback of a Commonwealth games bid to:
-expand members with another tier (done elegantly of course), bigger roof, add some more bars facing the ground (like the current members bar in the Chappell stand bar but higher up), whilst retaining open undercroft, facade and with egress to riverbank stand at the top, etc ($heaps) and free up seats elsewhere.
-move/knock down/rebuild that NW light tower off the hill and put it behind closer to the gates and clear up that area adjacent to members ($3-4million at current prices).
-improve the area between scoreboard and Wanganeen stand ($few million).
-very minor works to hill (slope near video screen etc so you can see)

An increase of capacity to 56000-58000 could be realistically possible (without removing trees and scoreboard)

I reckon this year demand for 55000+ has occurred a few times (at least half a dozen).

My concern is that people will get turned off going in the long run because too many games they want to go to are too often sold-out to the general public.
Love and completely agree with your perspective. It's a shame there was no forward thinking with the Western Stand to build something that mirrors what was eventually going to be build on the eastern side of the ground. It'll be costly to build another tier on the Western stand, but it should be first priority in any attempt to increase capacity. Also agree with your statement about the NW light tower, cannot understand why they didn't re-position it like the others, it's placement so close to the oval itself is awkward. In terms of Commonwealth Games, I'd hope rather that destroying the hill, bay-fig trees and scoreboard (which unfortunately there are people on here that advocate this) that they would take a leaf out of Gold Coast's book, whereby building a temp stand for the games; it's do-able and with the design of the roof for all other AO stands it wouldn't be too hard to perhaps build a temp stand with a roof that replicate this.

All that being said, Adelaide probably won't get it's dice at a games now for at least 20-25 years, if not longer. We should have put a bid for 2018, we'd have won it easily over the two cities that were going for it. By the time our time comes around for a games (which just to remind everyone, we're the only major Australian capital city with a population of 1million+ not to have hosted a games), all our facilities will be in need of work; the state aquatic centre, AO - now seemed like the appropriate time to host because we have the Netball and Basketball centres, the velodrome, the entertainment centre; in 25 years they'll have probably all been merged into one multi-purpose facility.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4134 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:22 am

All fencing on North Eastern side is now down. Looking goooooood.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#4135 Post by Henwii » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:28 am

cruel_world00 wrote:All fencing on North Eastern side is now down. Looking goooooood.

Noticed that when I was driving home, does that basically complete the entire project now?

Such a nice area to have some lunch or relax for the afternoon, plus it should help when people are leaving the stadium.

aeon
Gold-Member ;)

#4136 Post by aeon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 pm

A couple of shots from last night (click for bigger).

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#4137 Post by Phantom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Wow Aeon!... Just... Wow!...

That type of camera always seems to make every night time sky look sorta stormy. I love it! Awesome pics, dude!

I know it's requested in a different thread, but please use that camera to take a photo from sorta near the Hilton of the Post Office and Town Hall on King William in Victoria Square for me? I'd be most appreciative! (I have a friend overseas who wants to see what it now looks like after the redevelopment) :P

But yeah, back on topic, it's amazing how the oval looks now! It's really a stadium! Those staircases inside actually look quite nice, with their diagonal lines being quite prominent.

I'm really happy they built this!.. While I'm here, if anyone would know this, it would surely be you guys. The capacity is from memory 53,500, right? If they created a northern grandstand of the same styling, and got rid of the fig trees, hill and scoreboard, what would be a reasonably accurate estimation of what the new capacity would be?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

PeFe

#4138 Post by PeFe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:13 am

From the 'Tiser
Adelaide Oval final an economic winner for SA
Port Adelaide’s Ollie Wines at training on Adelaide Oval during the week. Picture: Mark Brake. Source: News Corp Australia

CITY hotels are enjoying a spike in business as thousands of Richmond Tigers fans prepare to head across the border for Sunday’s AFL Elimination Final against Port Adelaide.

InterContinental Adelaide and Stamford Plaza are booked out for Sunday night.

InterContinental Adelaide is also close to capacity for Saturday night, the hotel’s commercial director Jakki Temple-Govan said.

She said there had been a surge in bookings from interstate fans throughout the football season, particularly during the latter part of the year.

“Showdowns have been popular also and when fans of the Perth teams come over they tend to stay longer, probably because of the longer flight,” she said.

Ian Kennedy from the South East Tigers supporter group will drive from Victoria to SA with several self-confessed “Tiger tragics” on Saturday.

He said there were about 12,000 Richmond fans in Sydney for the match against the Swans last weekend and expected about 15,000 Tiger supporters at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

Accor Hotels, which operates four city-based sites including the new Ibis Adelaide, said it had seen occupancy increase across the board.

“We have seen a positive flow on effect for our hotels around game periods with occupancy in the Adelaide market increasing by 10.1 per cent year on year,” said Accor Pacific chief operating officer Simon McGrath.

More than one million fans attended Adelaide Oval matches during the home and away season, beating the previous record set at AAMI Stadium in 2003.

Figures show Adelaide’s hotel market grew faster than any other capital city in Australia between January and August.

According to the statistics from STR Global and Hines Property, Adelaide recorded room rate growth of 9.3 per cent, well ahead of Sydney at 5.2 per cent.

Hines Property managing director James Hines, which operates Crowne Plaza Adelaide, said the hotel was on track to record its best calendar year figures since opening in 2010.

Country businesses are also benefiting as scores of fans make the road trip from Victoria for matches.

Tailem Bend’s Riverside Hotel has enjoyed a steady stream of visitors during the football season, according to co-owner Phil Marechal.

“This is our first footy season as owners of the hotel, but we have had quite a bit of traffic coming through with people going to the footy,” he said.

“Some stop for a beer, others for lunch.”

At Henry & Rose Cafe in Keith business is often brisk during AFL finals.

“When the football crowd moves, we do see a pick up in trade,” said cafe assistant Yvonne Schreiber.

The last 1000 tickets for Sunday’s match – in the public and western grandstands – will go on sale on Friday.
Originally published as Adelaide Oval final an economic winner for SA

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7048208786

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#4139 Post by Allkai » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Was quite surreal, being literally the only person in the stadium about 2 hours after it was jam packed.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#4140 Post by Henwii » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Phantom wrote:Wow Aeon!... Just... Wow!...

That type of camera always seems to make every night time sky look sorta stormy. I love it! Awesome pics, dude!

I know it's requested in a different thread, but please use that camera to take a photo from sorta near the Hilton of the Post Office and Town Hall on King William in Victoria Square for me? I'd be most appreciative! (I have a friend overseas who wants to see what it now looks like after the redevelopment) :P

But yeah, back on topic, it's amazing how the oval looks now! It's really a stadium! Those staircases inside actually look quite nice, with their diagonal lines being quite prominent.

I'm really happy they built this!.. While I'm here, if anyone would know this, it would surely be you guys. The capacity is from memory 53,500, right? If they created a northern grandstand of the same styling, and got rid of the fig trees, hill and scoreboard, what would be a reasonably accurate estimation of what the new capacity would be?
Riverbank stand holds approximately 14,000 people. Northern holds 3,500 on the hill and around 3,000 seats. So if you do the maths of 14,000-6,500 = 7,500 extra seats in capacity.

So just on 60,000. Not a huge increase for such a massive cost.