[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Proposed - Rundle Convergence

#406 Post by Will » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:49 pm

This project is still alive, and it has taken a great step towards becoming a reality, as this coming Monday, at the ACC development assessment panel meeting, a recommendation has been made for the council to grant planning APPROVAL for this project.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#407 Post by Edgar » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:01 pm

approval based on the existing plan or is there a new plan or render?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#408 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:05 pm

Existing, I assume.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#409 Post by Will » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:35 pm

Some technical aspects of the proposal:

*Attach a steel frame over a portion of the building's structural frame, that will be clad with angled natural anodised aluminium panels.

*the attachment of 748 LED panels, 22 high and 32 across, covering the north-west corner of the building, which is approximately 28m along Rundle Street and 27m along Pulteney Street.

*the content will vary between moving and static images, however the resolution achieved will be insufficient to display written or television quality images

*no advertising will be displayed

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#410 Post by rogue » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Bring it on!!!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#411 Post by Will » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:36 pm

A further piece of information that i forgot to mention is that the LED display will only function from dusk to midnight. If anyone from the council is reading this, may i suggest that on Friday and Saturday nights, that the LED display be switched off at 2:00AM instead of midnight. I say this because at that time, there are still plenty of people in that part of the city, and it will cause embarrassment for the city if it is switched off so early.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#412 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Yep I'll agree with that, maybe even 3 or 4am on a Saturday

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#413 Post by rogue » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Why not dusk till dawn on weekends?

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#414 Post by aussie2000 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:48 pm

is there much people in the city on sunday night? i only go friday and saturadays

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#415 Post by frank1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Will wrote:*the content will vary between moving and static images, however the resolution achieved will be insufficient to display written or television quality images
Not to complain, but i thought in the test run they did a while back, they where playing the movie finding nemo. Isn't that the same as television quality images?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#416 Post by Howie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Pretty pixelated version of the full motion video.. you're obviously going to be limited by the number of pixels/panels you can throw up on the car park. So the resolution would be less than your mobile phone (probably much less), so not that many pixels to play with to get any sort of discernable text or fine video on screen. But then again that's not the aim of the display.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#417 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:26 am

Another step closer for Rundle Lantern

The innovative artistic installation known as Rundle Lantern has received the green light from the Adelaide City Council’s Development Assessment Panel.

Construction is expected to take approximately four months and be completed this financial year.

The Rundle Lantern will illuminate the corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street and comprises of 748 square panels, fixed on the Northern and Western facades of the Council’s Rundle Street UPark, each incorporating an LED (light emitting device) system.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison welcomed the Development Assessment Panel’s bold decision to move forward with the project.

“The Rundle Lantern will display colours and shapes in artistic designs and bring a new level of vibrancy to the Rundle Mall and Pulteney Street intersection. It will transform the UPark building into an interactive and dynamic public art display attracting visitors to the City,” said the Lord Mayor.

“In addition to creating a stunning centrepiece for the City, the design also takes environmental considerations into account and features energy efficient LED lamps.

“The Rundle Lantern will not inhibit air flow throughout the UPark, allowing natural ventilation.”

City-based Russell Group Pty Ltd was named late in 2007 as the preferred tenderer to construct the new ground-breaking landmark for the City of Adelaide.

The Rundle Lantern concept was created by South Australian company, Fusion, who won a public competition for the project.

MEDIA NOTE: High resolution images of the proposed design and a test from late 2007 are available by contacting the Adelaide City Council Media & Communications office.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Approved - Rundle Convergence

#418 Post by Howie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:26 am

Someone bet me to changing the title to approved :D

Great work from the Council and Fusion ... can't wait for work to get started!~!!!!

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#419 Post by Edgar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 am

Thank goodness it is approved.

I would love to see the panels covered up the entire building instead, even though it could mean higher cost, but why does Adelaide always get second best? Wouldn't it be nice if they were to add more panels just so they could cover the entire ugly facade of the existing carpark.

But still, something is better than nothing, uh.. :wank:
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#420 Post by Howie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 am

There's higher cost, there's ventilation, lighting, fire safety.. doing panels all the way around might look great but it's not as simple as just taking more panels and putting them up. Hopefully in a few weeks time we can sit down with Fusion and they can fill us in on the technical side of things... looking forward to that.

Btw, i don't think we're getting second best here... this will be the largest display of it's type in the country, so for a change we're getting it first, right here in Adelaide!