[COM] 147-151 Flinders Street | 30m | 8lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: 147-151 Flinders Street | 30m | 8lvls | Office

#31 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 pm

It will look seriously epic.

Though it's a matter of time before that Bob Jane site is redeveloped, possibly blocking this new wall.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:04 pm

I nominate that the wind arbour be heritage listed before its even built. :P
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nort

#33 Post by Nort » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Imagine an entire tower with that finish!

Matt
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Looks epic, but share Crawf's concern on Bob Jane eventually being developed and blocking it out.

Cross that bridge... etc.

Looking forward to this one.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Howie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Paul's got some more information for s-a members regarding the development.
The ground floor will feature a new lobby concept, a lobby and coffee place that is completely open to the footpath, a footpath that if council agree to equally contribute will see a few carparks become a small city park with lawn, hedges, and seats. The lobby and coffee bar will have true city integration, and wont be just another indent with a tree. This is of course subject to approval by the ACC, something that is proving difficult at this time.

The green-wall will be the largest in Adelaide, and having a north face, as well as the ability to maintain it easily from behind, should see it thrive. It's not there to just look green though. The plants will contribute toward filtering the air departing the carpark, and at the same time offer an important coolant source to the double skin façade above. Double skin façades have never really worked in Adelaide, simply because they have been incorrectly designed and are seen as far too expensive. This one though has some science behind it, with a natural current forming at its base dragging the cool air through the green-wall and up the face of the double glazing, effectively using heat generated within the double skin to create cool natural breeze up the vertical plane of the façade. In winter occupants can open the windows to bring some nice warm, fresh air in. The entire double skin façade is being prefabricated and pre-glazed, which has opened up massive cost saving opportunities as well as important construction safety advances.

The office floors are a boutique 500sqm each, and as with all our projects and without exception, this area needs to be maximised. There is a reality in Adelaide that only financially efficient projects proceed.

Level 6 will feature a double skin façade with landscaping to its east and west sides. The mature trees planted in massive below slab planters will offer the architectural occupants of this floor ideal outdoor work and meeting spaces, with the trees creating cool breezes in summer, and the double skin façade blocking the western wind. The space will feature large and small meeting tables as well as private discussion and work areas. Pruszinski Architects intends to demonstrate that in our climate, there are times that working and meeting outdoors is far better than being locked inside another glass box.

The wind arbour on the side is nothing new, although it's dynamic attributes will certainly surprise many in Adelaide, as will the constant movement of the two glass walled lifts in the centre of the façade. The combination of these two moving forms, along with the movement of the green-wall, will create a visual dynamic unlike any other in Adelaide, a solid sense that the building is alive and very active.

The parapet will be nothing but solar panels, 49 of them, creating significant power generation for a building of this size to help its tenants meet their carbon offset targets. The double skin double glazed façade systems and fresh air windows will contribute to a substantial reduction in power consumption, making the solar panels even more effective. Retractable horizontal louvres will be stored behind these panels to protect the east, west, and northern glazing as required.

Pruszinski Architects does not aim to produce award winning pieces of architecture, yet we are thrilled when our clients are recognised, especially at a national level. Our focus remains on the delivery of commercially appropriate buildings that provide significantly enhanced usability and pleasure for its occupants, solid commercial returns for its current and future owners, enhanced recognition of our environmental awareness, and a clear demonstration that a box shouldn't always be judged as a box. Our current office on Pulteney Street is also a box, and those that have been inside know first hand that it is far from ordinary, yet simple and efficient. Those that haven't been in our office, are welcome any time to help understand this principle.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by monotonehell » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm liking what I'm hearing here. A lot of good ideas combining to make the building work less to achieve more.

I hope the interface with the footpath is settled with the council. I'm guessing that it's so far removed from the norm that they are having trouble pigeon-holing it. Needs a little executive oversight to see the big picture.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#37 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 am

rhino wrote:It looks somewhat less iconic than I would have expected from these guys, but it will be interesting to watch how the vertical garden comes up. A bit of a setback from the street, with a small paza in the front with a few trees, would have been nice.
After seeing the clip of that wind wall, and reading the description from the architects, I completely retract the comment above, and congratulate Pruzinski Architects on their design.
cheers,
Rhino

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by Maximus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 am

It's this sort of innovative, and hopefully trend-setting, development that makes me very excited about Adelaide's future and strengthens my determination to move back sooner rather than later. :cheers:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#39 Post by believesinadsy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 am

It's this sort of innovative, and hopefully trend-setting, development that makes me very excited about Adelaide's future and strengthens my determination to move back sooner rather than later
Where you living atm mate?

I too agree. I am in Sydney and I look forward to coming back home again down the track.. to be honest I would probably look to buy an apartment in the city. Reading about the steady stream on new buildings proposed such as this one and 123 flinders St (which if it gets up would look amazing from the South and from the Airport Terminal), gives people living interstate or overseas optimism of a growing city and an exciting blend of modern architecture and a vibrant atmosphere.

One thing about Adelaidians is no matter where you meet them, the majority are always very proud to be SA. I have only been here for maybe 4 months and its nice to occassionally meet other Adelaidians and hear how much they love it back there. Speaking to my best mate whom is teaching English in Sout Korea, its the lifestyle that he misses in Adelaide which simply cannot be beaten..
With this project going up next year, along with Aria I think its called, Art, the student housing on King William and hopefully the apartment complex on Morphett, it will be great to continue coming back and seeing these additions changing the city scape. Not to mentioned the weekend influx of footy fans come 2014 theres a very realistic chance of the city really becoming an attractive place to live for more young professionals. :2cents:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:39 pm

A wind-activated art piece has been proposed for a new building in Flinders St

adelaidenow

A NEW $12 million building in Flinders St will feature a shimmering, wind-activated art piece the designer believes will be an Australian first.

Architect Paul Pruszinski says the eight-storey building, in which his firm will occupy the top two levels, will have a "wind arbour" - a five-storey tall detachable art piece made from thousands of photo-sized panels.

It also will feature a pair of glass-walled lifts in the centre of the northern facade, Adelaide's largest "greenwall" of vines covering two storeys of carparking, and mature trees planted six storeys up.

"There's thousands of those (panels) and each one flaps in the wind," Mr Pruszinski says.

"You'll see the patterns of wind floating across the facade.

"The combination of these two moving forms (the wind arbour and lifts), along with the movement of the greenwall, will create a visual dynamic unlike any other in Adelaide, a solid sense that the building is alive and very active."

The wind arbour will be detachable should the neighbouring Bob Jane T-Mart site be developed and blocks the view.

The greenwall will be at the base of the building's "second skin" - an outer layer of the facade acting as a cooling device.

"The plants will contribute toward filtering the air departing the carpark and at the same time offer an important coolant source to the double skin facade above," Mr Pruszinski says.

"This (double skin) has some science behind it, with a natural current forming at its base dragging the cool air through the greenwall and up the face of the double glazing."

Trees will be planted six storeys up to create shaded outdoor work spaces.

"In our climate, there are times that working and meeting outdoors is far better than being locked inside another glass box," Mr Pruszinski said.

He said he wanted the ground floor to house a cafe spilling onto "a little surprise park in the city" of grass and trees on the footpath and on-street parking spaces.

However, he said the City Council had so far baulked at his proposal to pay half the $60,000 cost and the loss of four on-street parks.

Demolition of the existing two-storey building on the site starts today and will finish in January.

Construction of the new building will start in February and be completed in August.

Mr Pruszinkski said construction would be fast because much of the building would be prefabricated offsite.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by serca » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Ridgy Didge!!! This is going to look brilliant... Convenient location for a innovative head office near enough to their design of a possible Adelaide icon in 123 Flinders

metro
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by metro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 am

Ben wrote:

A NEW $12 million building in Flinders St will feature a shimmering, wind-activated art piece the designer believes will be an Australian first.

Architect Paul Pruszinski says the eight-storey building, in which his firm will occupy the top two levels, will have a "wind arbour" - a five-storey tall detachable art piece made from thousands of photo-sized panels.
that "Australian first" wind arbour sounds like a tiny version of the huge one on the Airport Carpark in Brisbane :wink:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: APP: 147-151 Flinders Street | 30m | 8lvls | Office

#43 Post by Maximus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:06 am

believesinadsy wrote:Where you living atm mate?
See 'location' under my avatar...

There are plenty of benefits to living here, but not much inspiring architecture. Unless you're really fond of concrete... :lol:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 am

crawf wrote:It will look seriously epic.

Though it's a matter of time before that Bob Jane site is redeveloped, possibly blocking this new wall.
Now I'm even more worried, thanks to the prospect of having the state's new tallest building sitting right opposite Bob Jane. :/

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: APP: 147-151 Flinders Street | 30m | 8lvls | Office

#45 Post by Shahkar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 am

So is the demolition underway? Or has it been delayed?