[COM] Torrens Footbridge | $40m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
arki
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: UC: Torrens Footbridge | $40m

#811 Post by arki » Sun May 25, 2014 11:55 am

I hope those multicoloured lights are not permanent and are just for testing. I think we should stick to a gold look for our riverbank, with the Hyatt, Convention Centre and current footbridge strip lighting all taking on that gold appearance right now it would be a shame to cheapen the look by adding too many colours.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#812 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Vee wrote:Adelaide Oval was amazing (again) as a venue for last night's game - great atmosphere and build-up (pyrotechnics etc) positive vibe. And the footbridge is a huge part of the successful mix.

One thing continues to annoy me and it was the worst I've seen last night after the match. The Murdoch Press continues to 'give away' free copies of their newspaper after the game - on the Adelaide Oval Plaza. OK, some folk might appreciate a free Advertiser but obviously many/most have no interest. There are piles of papers left after the match, others stuffed in nearby rubbish bins and, worse, lots of littering of the plaza, roadways, footbridge and railway station.

Last night the footbridge was strewn with ripped papers - from one end to the other. The papers littered the railway station and I saw a Rail employee picking up the litter. Apart from the unsightly mess which spoilt the AO surrounds, footbridge etc, WHO PAYS for cleaning up this unsightly litter? It was an absolute blot on the beautiful Riverside precinct.

It adds to cleanup costs and the overall budget for the football and precinct.
Can/will the SMA and or ACC do anything about it?
There's a very simple solution. Just have the free newspapers in suitable containers near the exits and people can pick one up only if they actually want one. Might also help if they have them in bags, so people can easily carry them and won't be as likely to change their minds and discard them to avoid carrying them. Paper bags would be preferable to plastic ones for environmental reasons, and the bags could have the Advertiser logo on to provide some good advertising as people are seen carrying them.

This is what's done at Movie World on the Gold Coast and I haven't seen and newspaper litter there.
Last edited by pushbutton on Sun May 25, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#813 Post by Vee » Sun May 25, 2014 1:28 pm

pushbutton wrote: There's a very simple solution. Just have the free newspapers in suitable containers near the exits and people can pick on up only if they actually want one. Might also help if they have them in bags, so people can easily carry them and won't be as likely to change their minds and discard them to avoid carrying them. Paper bags would be preferable to plastic ones for environmental reasons, and the bags could have the Advertiser logo on to provide some good advertising as people are seen carrying them.

This is what's done at Movie World on the Gold Coast and I haven't seen and newspaper litter there.
The newspapers are just left in big piles (after the people offering them out) leave. They are wrapped in the plastic used for home delivery, which helps to keep papers intact until ready to read? And I saw heaps, still in their plastic covers, stuffed in/on top of rubbish bins just 10 metres away from where they were given out.

I guess some of the littering is due to people making an anti-Murdoch statement while some like making a mess/littering, venting frustration or whatever. On Saturday night pages were even torn into pieces and strewn across the width and entire length of the footbridge (as well as page lift outs or whole papers dumped).

I did not walk along King William St/Memorial Drive but doubt they would have escaped the litter.

Perhaps they could sell them, even at reduced cost, to minimize littering or better still, give up trying to artificially inflate their sales/subscriber numbers with mass print edition giveaways that end up degrading the environment with litter and increasing clean up costs for the SMA/ACC?

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#814 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Vee wrote:
pushbutton wrote: There's a very simple solution. Just have the free newspapers in suitable containers near the exits and people can pick on up only if they actually want one. Might also help if they have them in bags, so people can easily carry them and won't be as likely to change their minds and discard them to avoid carrying them. Paper bags would be preferable to plastic ones for environmental reasons, and the bags could have the Advertiser logo on to provide some good advertising as people are seen carrying them.

The newspapers are just left in big piles (after the people offering them out) leave. They are wrapped in the plastic used for home delivery, which helps to keep papers intact until ready to read? And I saw heaps, still in their plastic covers, stuffed in/on top of rubbish bins just 10 metres away from where they were given out.

I guess some of the littering is due to people making an anti-Murdoch statement while some like making a mess/littering, venting frustration or whatever. On Saturday night pages were even torn into pieces and strewn across the width and entire length of the footbridge (as well as page lift outs or whole papers dumped).

I did not walk along King William St/Memorial Drive but doubt they would have escaped the litter.

Perhaps they could sell them, even at reduced cost, to minimize littering or better still, give up trying to artificially inflate their sales/subscriber numbers with mass print edition giveaways that end up degrading the environment with litter and increasing clean up costs for the SMA/ACC?
Agree with all sentiments expressed here.

Perhaps the papers should be given out on the eastern KWS footpath and inside Adelaide Railway Station if at all. Failing that, at the southern end of the footbridge could be an improved alternative.

I especially agree about putting the papers in a paper bag or similar, rather than environmentally-degrading plastic.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#815 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Vee wrote:I guess some of the littering is due to people making an anti-Murdoch statement...
I think you're giving people too much credit there.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

metro
Legendary Member!

#816 Post by metro » Sun May 25, 2014 7:14 pm

everytime I have crossed the bridge there always seems to be a huge pile of horse manure somewhere on the bridge :sly:

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#817 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 25, 2014 7:30 pm

metro wrote:everytime I have crossed the bridge there always seems to be a huge pile of horse manure somewhere on the bridge :sly:
See, if we drop our dacks and take a crap in the middle of a CBD street, we get a massive fine and in some instances can go to jail.

Police? Clean up after their own horses? Never!
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#818 Post by mooshie » Sun May 25, 2014 7:50 pm

metro wrote:everytime I have crossed the bridge there always seems to be a huge pile of horse manure somewhere on the bridge :sly:
Are we still talking about the newspapers?

arki
High Rise Poster!

#819 Post by arki » Sun May 25, 2014 9:27 pm

At the very least the cops could use these papers to pick up/wipe the horses ass. Its about the most useful thing you could do with that printed garbage (especially the page with Goers column).

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#820 Post by Wayno » Mon May 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Vee wrote:Adelaide Oval was amazing (again) as a venue for last night's game - great atmosphere and build-up (pyrotechnics etc) positive vibe. And the footbridge is a huge part of the successful mix.

One thing continues to annoy me and it was the worst I've seen last night after the match. The Murdoch Press continues to 'give away' free copies of their newspaper after the game - on the Adelaide Oval Plaza. OK, some folk might appreciate a free Advertiser but obviously many/most have no interest. There are piles of papers left after the match, others stuffed in nearby rubbish bins and, worse, lots of littering of the plaza, roadways, footbridge and railway station.

Last night the footbridge was strewn with ripped papers - from one end to the other. The papers littered the railway station and I saw a Rail employee picking up the litter. Apart from the unsightly mess which spoilt the AO surrounds, footbridge etc, WHO PAYS for cleaning up this unsightly litter? It was an absolute blot on the beautiful Riverside precinct.

It adds to cleanup costs and the overall budget for the football and precinct.
Can/will the SMA and or ACC do anything about it?
Hey Vee, post a request in the Adelaide City Council thread asking David Plumridge to run with it. The newspaper handouts are likely not associated with the SMA & ACC, but they should feel compelled to raise the issue with Rupert's AFL* team.

* Articles Full of Lies
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#821 Post by Henwii » Tue May 27, 2014 8:48 pm

What's up with the part of the bridge that looks unfinished at the AO end with these road block thingos in place. Is anything being done to finish that part? Seems odd that the entire bridge is completed apart from this.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#822 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:23 am

^ Is that post for real? That's not the Torrens Footbridge as far as I can see.

SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#823 Post by SCF » Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 am

I think Henwii's picture was just to show an example of the "road block thingos", not the actual ones around the bridge.

Whilst the crossing is complete and usable, the finishing touches are still being done. The lighting and water feature have only just been completed and they are still working on the surrounding areas such as the northern side linear park shared path. Once it is all done, the "road block thingos" will be removed. I don't know when it is due for completion, but I imagine it will be soon.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

[COM] UC: Torrens Footbridge | $40m

#824 Post by Dog » Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Henwii wrote:Image

What's up with the part of the bridge that looks unfinished at the AO end with these road block thingos in place. Is anything being done to finish that part? Seems odd that the entire bridge is completed apart from this.
henwii,

probably what all those who have complained about it being too narrow wanted, two way traffic as well! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk