[COM] Torrens Footbridge | $40m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: UC: Torrens Footbridge | $40m

#871 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:26 pm

From Saturday night.

Crows colours.

There were other colours too.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#872 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Stunning. Has anyone got any pics from the bridge looking back towards the city at the landscaped bit/waterfall?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#873 Post by Nort » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:27 am

I drove past about an hour ago (so 1am Tuesday morning) and the bridge looked great, although the waterfall was turned off. Does it go off at nights to save power or something?

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#874 Post by Honey of a City » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 am

Would love to see the Adelaide City Council complement the precinct by switching on the old fountain, and creatively lighting up the City and Morphett St bridges.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#875 Post by Vee » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:25 pm

This item is also relevant to the ACC thread.

Torrens Riverbank footbridge would be costly for Adelaide City Council to maintain
Adelaide City Council seems reluctant to take control of the new Torrens Riverbank footbridge because of high operational costs.

Cleaning and other costs originally were estimated at $320,000 annually but now are put at about $500,000.
Back in 2012 the council was keen to have control of the state-funded bridge and the South Australian Government agreed.

But councillor David Plumridge says taking it over now would mean costs would have to be met from the council's general revenue.
"We've got a clearer picture now what the bridge involves, the cost of maintenance and upkeep and cleaning and so on but I still think basically council has a responsibility to own and maintain these assets in the city," he said.

"It is a very important part of the issue of public transport access to the oval, making it easier to come from North Terrace and the railway station, [it] helps to bring people in by public transport and that's worked remarkably well."

Part of the maintenance costs might be raised by leasing parts of the bridge and its waterfalls for use at events including weddings.
"We supported the bridge right from the beginning, now we need to maximise its use," Councillor Plumridge said.

Tuesday night's council meeting is due to vote on accepting ownership of the footbridge.
ABC News:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-17/t ... -m/5529124

Perhaps Murdoch could contribute to the costs of cleaning, removing shredded and discarded/dumped Advertisers, given out free on the Adelaide Oval Plaza after football games, which make a significant contribution to the litter on the Footbridge?

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#876 Post by Dog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Like how do they make up this stuff, $500,000 that must to at least 10 full time cleaners, I think I for $500,000 I would be happy to toss in work and do it myself ( I need more exercise )

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#877 Post by AG » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Excuse the low quality mobile photo (I was there on Saturday night):

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#878 Post by Nort » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:35 pm

That cost does seem high but I wonder if they are including regular maintenance, power, replacement lights and so on.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#879 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Nort wrote:That cost does seem high but I wonder if they are including regular maintenance, power, replacement lights and so on.
...and don't forget about the costs of administration, planning fees, consultancy fees, executive bonuses, marketing, licenses and permits, workplace health and safety compliance, environmental compliance, and all the many other costs councils have no other option than to pay on everything they do! ;)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#880 Post by rev » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:20 pm

The single plain colours, yep, looks great.
But(and this isn't a dig at the Crows so the usual suspects can relax), the red-yellow-blue just looks shit.
Not the colours them selves, but the way it's just 'blocks' of colours. Maybe it's the photos, but it would look better if it blended in, like a colour gradient or something.

And now the convention center is being lit up in team colours? Seriously, I think it's starting to get out of hand. Next thing you know street lights will be changed to Crows and Port colours :lol:

And anyone seen this article on Adelaide Now about the cost of cleaning the bridge over the next 150 years?
I shit you not guys, they are talking about a cost blow out over 150 years. 11 billion it's going to cost over that period.
Why do these buffoons stop at 150 years? Why not 1,000 years.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#881 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Rev, have you seen it in person/video footage?

They aren't blocks of solid colour, it's constantly moving and changing. Looks much better in video form than pics.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#882 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:52 pm

...and I love the Riverbank lighting up for events. Crows colours, Power colours, green and gold for world sporting events, red for World AIDS Day, pink for Mothers Day, rainbow for Feast, etc, etc.
Creates a sense of event. I like it.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#883 Post by Phantom » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Matt wrote:...and I love the Riverbank lighting up for events. Crows colours, Power colours, green and gold for world sporting events, red for World AIDS Day, pink for Mothers Day, rainbow for Feast, etc, etc.
I can't wait until Colon Cancer awareness releases a brown ribbon, personally. :P

Imagine the bridge and ACC being coloured to represent that?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#884 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:19 am

Phantom wrote:
Matt wrote:...and I love the Riverbank lighting up for events. Crows colours, Power colours, green and gold for world sporting events, red for World AIDS Day, pink for Mothers Day, rainbow for Feast, etc, etc.
I can't wait until Colon Cancer awareness releases a brown ribbon, personally. :P

Imagine the bridge and ACC being coloured to represent that?
Look. If you are going to be off colour, then you should at least be accurate and call for brown and red.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #COM: Torrens Footbridge | $40m

#885 Post by Joelmark » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:38 am

photo (72).JPG
photo (72).JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 4151 times
some pictures of the new water feature / landscaping / stairs from Saturday