[COM] Torrens Footbridge | $40m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #COM: Torrens Footbridge | $40m

#886 Post by Joelmark » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 am

photo (73).JPG
photo (73).JPG (2.82 MiB) Viewed 6370 times

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#887 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 am

Two questions:

First, what's the room that appears to be underneath the City-end of the bridge?

Second, how long do you think it'll take for vandals target the bridge? :?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: UC: Torrens Footbridge | $40m

#888 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Vee wrote:This item is also relevant to the ACC thread.

Torrens Riverbank footbridge would be costly for Adelaide City Council to maintain
Adelaide City Council seems reluctant to take control of the new Torrens Riverbank footbridge because of high operational costs.

Cleaning and other costs originally were estimated at $320,000 annually but now are put at about $500,000.
Back in 2012 the council was keen to have control of the state-funded bridge and the South Australian Government agreed.

But councillor David Plumridge says taking it over now would mean costs would have to be met from the council's general revenue.
"We've got a clearer picture now what the bridge involves, the cost of maintenance and upkeep and cleaning and so on but I still think basically council has a responsibility to own and maintain these assets in the city," he said.

"It is a very important part of the issue of public transport access to the oval, making it easier to come from North Terrace and the railway station, [it] helps to bring people in by public transport and that's worked remarkably well."

Part of the maintenance costs might be raised by leasing parts of the bridge and its waterfalls for use at events including weddings.
"We supported the bridge right from the beginning, now we need to maximise its use," Councillor Plumridge said.

Tuesday night's council meeting is due to vote on accepting ownership of the footbridge.
ABC News:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-17/t ... -m/5529124

Perhaps Murdoch could contribute to the costs of cleaning, removing shredded and discarded/dumped Advertisers, given out free on the Adelaide Oval Plaza after football games, which make a significant contribution to the litter on the Footbridge?
Make it a toll bridge!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#889 Post by Will » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:28 pm

From realestate.com

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#890 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:35 am

Had a look at the completed bridge three hours ago as of typing (Friday night). Official name is Riverbank Bridge, opened by Weatherill on 14 June. Lights were green and gold (Socceroos colours). New stairway to the northern bank of the Torrens looked nice, the top of it offers nice sightlines of the bridge. Walked across, encountered the blight of a massive, steaming pile of horse crap. Went to the waterfall, quite nice. However, it has caused a visible amount of oil, small debris and other junk to accrue around it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#891 Post by Henwii » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:12 pm

I went down to have a look on Wednesday, luckily it was a really nice day so the photos look extra special.

This last photo was where the "road block thingos", were, so as it turns it out they were leaving an area for people to walk down. Very steep though.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#892 Post by Henwii » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:17 pm

And the work at/near the Festival Theatre

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#893 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:57 pm

From the photo posted above (and copied here) I can now see that the jumping fountain does not actually interrupt the path at all, and is actually well designed.

MORE than happy to admit I was wrong about that!
fountainbridge.jpg
fountainbridge.jpg (135.41 KiB) Viewed 5866 times

Matt
Legendary Member!

#894 Post by Matt » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Brilliant photos Henwii!

Love the entire project - slightly obsessed with it in fact, particularly the LEDs at night.

My only gripe is that I wish they'd either get rid of, or relocate that shitty old windswept fountain. I reckon with the waterfall there now, it's too much having both so close together.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#895 Post by Will » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:45 pm

I am concerned by the amount of eucalyptus trees they have planted, especially near the new fountain/artwork side of the Festival Centre and at the Adelaide Oval end of the footbridge. When those trees mature, they are going to completely cover these new pieces of infrastructure and block view corridors.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#896 Post by ml69 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Matt wrote:Brilliant photos Henwii!

Love the entire project - slightly obsessed with it in fact, particularly the LEDs at night.

My only gripe is that I wish they'd either get rid of, or relocate that shitty old windswept fountain. I reckon with the waterfall there now, it's too much having both so close together.
I had a good look at the footbridge and riverbank precinct from the King William St bridge last saturday night, it really looks brilliant and the LED lighting (which was electric blue at the time) really gives the footbridge a "wow factor" that grabs your attention.

It also really helps illuminates this precinct much better, which prior to the footbridge was very dark at night. Now I'd happily walk across the bridge at night with my family (2 little kids in tow).

Matt
Legendary Member!

#897 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:17 pm

Looking forward to some Instagram videos/clips of the colours moving and changing.

The static pics are great, but obviously you miss out on the "wow" factor of the changing colours.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#898 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:27 pm

I took this one the other day:
http://instagram.com/p/pfwXQATWjj/

Actually pretty impressed at how much is looked like the render with all the kids playing on it.

Now for the Festival Centre to get some much needed love.

robboaustralia
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#899 Post by robboaustralia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Was there supposed to be an audio aspect to the footbridge? Playing crowd noises or quick audio highlights from past and present Crows / Port and Australian cricket games. I walked over a bridge in Melbourne on the weekend which had audio features which made me thing we were supposed to have some audio on ours.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#900 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 am

robboaustralia wrote:Was there supposed to be an audio aspect to the footbridge? Playing crowd noises or quick audio highlights from past and present Crows / Port and Australian cricket games. I walked over a bridge in Melbourne on the weekend which had audio features which made me thing we were supposed to have some audio on ours.
Oh please no. Wont someone think of the tranquillity?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.