[COM] 73-85 Pirie Street | 89m | 22 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#31 Post by skyliner » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:41 pm

I like it - with no basic changes from floor to topit looks even taller.

Though i used to live in Adelaide and hunted all over the city for develpments, I can't place the specific location of this one. Is it any where near the Gawler Place intersection or further west? From what I can work out it must be the tallest in the street.

Hope it DOES go ahead and does not get tied up in deferments, red tape or escalating costs. (So often the case).

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#32 Post by Pistol » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:18 am

This site is almost on the corner of Pirie and Gawler Place backing onto the Flinders Link. Not the tallest on the street - Telstra building takes that cake.

skyliner

[COM]

#33 Post by skyliner » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:18 pm

Thanks Pistol 78 - it's great to have you guys around - I love the place and know it better than Brisbane (been here 20 years). I started this caper you people get up to in the 1970's and still have'nt lost the bug!
8 sites of develpment concurrently operating was a major event - the city seems to have 'taken off' now -a new vibrance and pulse is evident.

I visited Adelaide in 2004 - went for the grand tour of the entire metro area immediately (in the night after getting of the plane) hunting out new developments. My conclusion, 'this place has come of age'!.

Congratulations all on such a comprehensive, active and well supported site.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#34 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Potentially bad news from the city messenger. Atleast we will find out one way or another soon.

THE city nightclub formerly known as The Planet could be reopened, as a three-year legal dispute over the site involving Adelaide identities appears to be nearing an end.

Owner, the Adelaide Development Company (ADC), is now considering options for the site that include restoring the long-vacant site to a hotel or club, or creating a 19-storey office tower.
ADC general manager Ian Marker said the company was completing ``detailed financial feasibility'' studies to decide if it would proceed with an office tower with or without a licensed venue or whether it would simply stick with a club or pub ``but probably in a different style than the fomer nightclub''.
ADC already has an existing development approval for an 72m-high office complex, with more than 38,000sqm of floor space and two levels of underground parking.
Mr Marker said both the office development and the nightclub plans had drawn attention ``from a number of parties around town''.
The Planet, the former Pirie St superclub, has remained vacant since its closing and waiting the outcome of a legal tussle between ADC and the company that ran the nightclub, Players, over its liquor and gaming licences.
At one time Players was owned by former Adelaide Crows captain Chris McDermott, former Australian spin bowler Tim May, tennis coach Darren Cahill and city lawyer Greg Griffin.
Only McDermott and Cahill are still involved.
In 2006, the Supreme Court awarded the licences and legal costs to ADC, a Roche family company.
Players sought to appeal the decision but it was upheld by the High Court.
The decision to award legal costs to ADC recently triggered Players, which has not traded since 2004, to go into liquidation last Thursday, March 8.
``It's all part of the same animal,'' McDermott told the City Messenger.
``It's been dragging on for a long time, the conclusion of it will be a relief to all parties.
``We'd prefer not to comment until things are closer to being sorted out.''
Administrator Martin Lewis said the company would not pay the court costs: ``The company won't be able to pay it, the costs won't be paid.''

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#35 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:29 pm

That would be a great outcome having a 19st office tower and a new nightclub in that part of town.

Ho Really

[COM] Re: #Approved. 73-79 Pirie St (ex Planet site) - 18st 72.5m

#36 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:13 am

Now that 20-22 Currie Street has been approved (and hopefully built) and that there is a possibility City Central will get a further (30,000sqm) 90-100 metre tower I would love to this development at 73-79 Pirie Street be raised to something between 90 and 100 metres. This would give the CBD core more balance. The allotment size could take a larger building easily and it is on the souhtern side of the street as well. I think the developers should consider this and come up with an even bolder designed structure. Thoughts?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:27 am

But is there enough demand in Adelaide?

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:51 am

Ho Really wrote:Now that 20-22 Currie Street has been approved (and hopefully built) and that there is a possibility City Central will get a further (30,000sqm) 90-100 metre tower I would love to this development at 73-79 Pirie Street be raised to something between 90 and 100 metres. This would give the CBD core more balance. The allotment size could take a larger building easily and it is on the souhtern side of the street as well. I think the developers should consider this and come up with an even bolder designed structure. Thoughts?

Cheers
Great idea.
crawf wrote:But is there enough demand in Adelaide?
Its a prime business location it will go like hot cakes, especially now the media states that there is more demand for office space in the city than ever.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Will » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:20 pm

There was a small article regarding this building in the commercial real estate section of the Advertiser a few weeks ago. It stated that the project was still alive, but that the situation remained the same as a yaer ago. No company has pre-comitted to the office space.

But this does not surprise me. This building is a bland box. I would encourage the develoeprs to raise the height and architectural standard if they wish to get a tenant.

But I also fear that there is too much office space awaiting pre-commitment. Something like 250 000 sqm2. It will be inevitable that some projects never come to fruition.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Proposal # 19 level office tower - Planet site - App.80m

#40 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:00 am

What ever happened to this?

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re:

#41 Post by Bulldozer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:54 pm

Howie wrote:That's stunning... it does have a rather large footprint doesn't it. I've always imagined that block to be rather small... guess i was wrong.
I used to work next-door to the Planet in the AON building (was one of what the rest of the building's inhabitants dubbed "the ferals on level 8" :)) and it's a rather large block if you look down on it from up there. It extends past the end of the lane between the two sites. I'd estimate it at being over 1,000m since I think AON's floorplate is about 700m if I remember right.

Ho Really

[COM] Re: Proposal # 19 level office tower - Planet site - App.80m

#42 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:03 am

cruel_world00 wrote:What ever happened to this?
See this thread: #Approved. 73-79 Pirie St (ex Planet site) - 18st 72.5m

Cheers

duke
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by duke » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:50 pm

I think Pirie St is one of my favorite streets in Adelaide. I like the feel of it. You can almost imagine your in a big city :P

But anyway, walking past today I decided to take a bit more notice of the pieces of paper stuck up in the windows.
It said something like its not allowed to operate until Jan 2008. The notice was issued March 2007.

I assume we wont hear anything about what is happening until after Jan 2008.

They should build the new building, and put a nightclub in the bottom floor. Have the best of both worlds.
But then, it seems like the super clubs struggle in Adelaide. Planet, Heaven, St Pauls..

Maybe they need to get away from spiritual type names :P

Ho Really

#44 Post by Ho Really » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:27 am

duke wrote:...They should build the new building, and put a nightclub in the bottom floor. Have the best of both worlds.
But then, it seems like the super clubs struggle in Adelaide. Planet, Heaven, St Pauls..

Maybe they need to get away from spiritual type names :P
Nightclubs of any kind in basement or ground floors of office buildings don't work. We've had several pubs in basements in the past, but some of these have been replaced by parking. Small cafes and intimate coffee houses are better suited to office buildings.

Cheers

rhino

#45 Post by rhino » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

Will wrote: This building is a bland box. I would encourage the develoeprs to raise the height and architectural standard if they wish to get a tenant.
I agree. The AON building next door is so far out of the box that this building looks extra bland.
cheers,
Rhino