News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2626 Post by SRW » Thu May 15, 2014 2:09 am

david wrote:Councillor David Plumridge Notes - Issue 111

MY APOLOGIES, I UPLOADED THE WRONG NOTES TODAY

The correct version is attached below.
Notes from Councillor Issue 111.pdf
David Plumridge
Thanks for the update, David. I'm very pleased that the council's Historic Building Façade Improvement Scheme will see the restoration of 146 Rundle Mall (the Valley Girl building, I believe). The scheme has stuck in the back of my mind as a great idea since it was first announced, though I've heard very little of it subsequently. Have any other historic façades been unveiled with the funding so far?

I hadn't seen anything about an East Tce development, but a cursory google turns up this DAC submission for 200 East Terrace. Is this the one you mean? That document's a little light-on so its hard to judge what they're proposing but I'm not at all comfortable immediately opposing something simply on its height. In fact, given that stretch of East Terrace is already fairly disconnected from the historic character of the southeast quarter, I'd say there's reasonable scope for something of the sort. But I'll await more details.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2627 Post by Nathan » Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 am

That's the one. The documents were posted elsewhere (general developments thread?). When I had a quick skim through it it looked like there was reasonable set backs, but no renders to really give a feel for the impact it would have in the area (just wireframe images lacking a lot of context).

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2628 Post by Vee » Thu May 15, 2014 9:06 am

Brucetiki wrote:If Anne Moran and her ACC friends want to shrug off the 'we're not snobs' reputation North Adelaide residents rightly have, are doing themselves no favours with their attitude towards Adelaide Oval patrons.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6918015182
It's hard to believe an elected ACC Councillor, Cr Sandy Wilkinson, could make such an appalling statement:
“They are people from the suburbs who may have a lower care factor about littering."
The comment above reflects badly on Cr Wilkinson.
An Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority spokeswoman said that “our experience with fans coming to and from Adelaide Oval has been very positive and we’ve been very impressed by the behaviour of patrons”.

“These patrons are coming to the venue from suburbs all over Adelaide, as well as country areas, which is generating a real buzz in the city on game days.”

A council spokesman said the complaints were being investigated but there was no direct evidence football fans were responsible.
Footy in the city, and other events, at the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, have brought many benefits to the city and North Adelaide. I'm sure there would be many North Adelaide residents and business folk who would take a dim view of intolerant remarks, stereotyping others who reside beyond its boundaries.

Thankfully, the ACC has more progressive elements and leadership.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2629 Post by how good is he » Thu May 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi Clr David,
Thank you for your involvement in the forums and I am sure we all appreciate your time and direct availability to answer our questions.
Are you able to answer, now that the Adelaide Uni medical building is approved/starting, have you negotiated anything with the State Govt for compensation for a new skate park and if/when do you think you will you decide on a new location by?
Labors policy before the election was for a new $85m high school at the old RAH site and a new Law Courts Building - have you heard any more or do you think they are doubtful/impacted by the Federal budget? Is there anything else the ACC is a stakeholder in now possibly doubtful after the Federal budget?
If there were no state funds to share the cost for Victoria Square stage 2 upgrade, do you think the [next] council should or would fund it?
Have you or the ACC heard any more about the future of the former Le Cornu site on O'Connell St?

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2630 Post by Vee » Sun May 18, 2014 8:28 am

14 ways to make bike lanes better - a quick guide to the ways to protect a bike lane.
This infographic from the Green Lane Project, with photos and comparison tables, is topical in view of the differing views about the Adelaide City Council's Frome Road Bikeway - hailed a success by many cyclists but criticized by the usual suspects and some local media naysayers.
Modern bike lanes call for modern reference guides.
With so many different methods being used to physically separate bike and auto traffic, the tradeoffs can seem countless. This ... infographic ... is intended for anyone who wants to quickly get up to speed on the most popular tricks being used by cities around the world to improve bike lanes.

PeopleforBikes:
http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entr ... nfographic

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2631 Post by Wayno » Wed May 21, 2014 6:17 am

Adelaide as xmas lights capital of Oz

From AdelaideNow
ADELAIDE City Council is dreaming of a light Christmas as it considers transforming the CBD into the nation’s most spectacular festive lights display.

Under a plan now being investigated by council, Adelaide would become the undisputed Christmas light capital of Australia.

As reported in today’s The City, the plan being investigated by the council would encourage CBD residents and businesses to develop decorative light displays and 3D animation for buildings and homes.

Under the plan, tourists would “walk” along a virtual path around parts of the city including Victoria Square, King William St, Rundle Mall and, potentially, the East End.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said yesterday the vision was to create the nation’s most spectacular Christmas light display.

When asked if that meant it would be “bigger and better” than Lobethal’s traditional Christmas lights display, he replied: “The answer is yes. And we have started that process. This is an important part of bringing the city to life.”

Mr Yarwood said the concept could be rolled out all year round and was developed with the city’s heritage in mind.

But Lights of Lobethal committee secretary Maxine Herrmann said last night her town’s event was “unique”.

She said the hilly terrain helped create a spectacular display because people were not just “seeing the house in front of them”.

She added: “We will keep going. It is so popular. I can’t see it dying off.

“We can’t stop anyone doing it. I can’t see anyone replicating what we are doing. Each to their own.”

Adelaide City Council bureaucrats will formally look into the plan and how it can be implemented after council unanimously backed investigating the idea, raised by Councillor r Houssam Abiad.

Town Hall officials want to tap into the economic benefits experienced in ­Lobethal, which has developed the biggest community Christmas light display in the southern hemisphere.

The Lobethal lights festival, operating since 1990, attracts between 250,000 and 300,000 people a year.

A 2003 University of South Australia study concluded that the “village of Lobethal in the Adelaide Hills is synonymous with Christmas”.

The study, published in the Journal of Rural Studies, found the Festival was “fuelled by a strong sense of community”.

A city council report will detail how such a scheme would be funded and whether the council underwrites costs such as electricity bills. City council staff will report back within a few months.

Mr Abiad said the plans had “so much economic potential” that could capitalise on the popular annual Christmas pageant.

“We want to attract hundreds of thousands of people into the city, so the economic impacts would be immense,” Cr Abiad said.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2632 Post by Ben » Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 am

This is a fantastic idea and an area Adelaide has been lacking for some time. Last Christmas I was in Singapore where Orchard Road the main shopping precinct had a competion with all the shopping centres as to which was the best decorated and the public voted. This created an amazing amount of competition amongst retailers and the street looked incredible. Lights as far as you could see all down the main road and covered the facades. This was a tourist attraction in its own right with thousands of people taking photos etc

http://www.orchardroad.org/christmas/

Other than the Vic square christams tree you would find it hard to realise it was Christmas time driving through the CBD at Christmas. I would love to see the council make this start this year.

I would also love Westpac House to reinstate their Christmas Tree in the windows over Christmas. i had asked the landlord why they no longer do it and they said the naming right tenant (Westpac) did not want to fund the costs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2633 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 21, 2014 10:49 am

Ben wrote:...I would also love Westpac House to reinstate their Christmas Tree in the windows over Christmas. i had asked the landlord why they no longer do it and they said the naming right tenant (Westpac) did not want to fund the costs.
Westpac’s profits have swelled, as the country’s second biggest bank benefits from strong growth in its vast mortgage business and low default rates from borrowers.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/banking- ... 37r14.html
:applause:

But also; the landlord is being a cheap bastard. Passing the blame to their tenant.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2634 Post by mshagg » Wed May 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but seems some amazing photos found by the ACC are on display in the town hall at the moment. Just beautiful photos, too.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014 ... 008917.htm

Mants
Legendary Member!

#2635 Post by Mants » Wed May 21, 2014 9:26 pm

the saddest thing about these photos is the loss of all of those wonderful old churches with their large bell towers and spires. such a pity so many of them were demolished/destroyed.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2636 Post by Vee » Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 am

Love the Xmas lights idea. Thanks for posting, Wayno.
Hopefully LEDs, solar in the mix.

Other news.
ACC planting:
A new 5.5m Moreton Bay Fig Tree was planted in Hindmarsh Square this week, replacing the diseased one which had to be axed.
http://instagram.com/p/oMne6-ozdl/

And 5 Plane trees will be added to the Square.
http://ow.ly/x2pmC

via @CityofAdelaide

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#2637 Post by Maximus » Thu May 22, 2014 9:31 am

Vee wrote:A new 5.5m Moreton Bay Fig Tree was planted in Hindmarsh Square this week, replacing the diseased one which had to be axed.
http://instagram.com/p/oMne6-ozdl/
Looks like a fantastic specimen. A great result in the end.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#2638 Post by Mants » Thu May 22, 2014 5:37 pm

Vee wrote: And 5 Plane trees will be added to the Square.
http://ow.ly/x2pmC
getting bored of plane trees everywhere. why not a tree like liquidambar or pin oak... something with a bit more autumn colour.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2639 Post by crawf » Sat May 24, 2014 9:31 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opin ... 6930080385

What the actual f*ck. The only parasite in this city is him.

Rundle Mall is so much nicer and easier to navigate than previously (will look 10x better once the trees mature), Victoria Square is now a great event space and pop up venues have brought life back to the city.

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2640 Post by david.c-s » Sat May 24, 2014 10:35 pm

crawf wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opin ... 6930080385

What the actual f*ck. The only parasite in this city is him.

Rundle Mall is so much nicer and easier to navigate than previously (will look 10x better once the trees mature), Victoria Square is now a great event space and pop up venues have brought life back to the city.
Ahhh another well crafted piece of anti progress sentiment from Peter Goers.

Yet again this keyboard and microphone warrior feels at some stage a shining light hit him directly empowering him with the authority to speak on behalf of all South Australians.

I to am a City Resident Mr Goers and I would certainly like to clarify in no way do I share your opinion. Sure there maybe some things that will require tweaking, however I am sure many of us agree rarely is any thing a forgone success right off the bat.

I applaud The Lord Mayor for giving things a go, which is a far cry from the previous do nothing but propose, consult, and reject and ultimately plateau into a city of sleep, empty spaces and U-Parks.

I look forward to the ongoing axe grinding next Sunday, unless of course, he realizes his utopian city does exist ... It old Tailem Town where horse and cart are revered and progress is halted.

I conclude my rant
Using Tapatalk