News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3241 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Yep, just arrived.

Probably the ill-judged email I sent to Cllr Moran that time...

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#3242 Post by thecityguy » Thu May 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Yup I did aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3243 Post by Wayno » Thu May 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Don't know whether to feel happy or sad. I didn't get the email :-(
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3244 Post by Norman » Thu May 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Wayno wrote:Don't know whether to feel happy or sad. I didn't get the email :-(
Me neither. Let's start our own council... With blackjack... And hookers... In fact, forget the council!

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3245 Post by how good is he » Thu May 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Reminds me of the bankrupt ex-multi-millionaire that spent over half his fortune on alcohol, gambling and women.....and the rest of his money he just wasted.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3246 Post by Brucetiki » Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 pm

how good is he wrote:Reminds me of the bankrupt ex-multi-millionaire that spent over half his fortune on alcohol, gambling and women.....and the rest of his money he just wasted.
Clive Palmer? :lol:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3247 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:11 pm

I like the wired, cantenary style little globe lighting installed in Bank St, Ebenezor Place, Synagogue Place, little leafy walkway near Mother Vine etc, but just one thing, are we not allowed to actually turn them on. Bank St ones haven't been turned on months, Synagogue Place I have only seen them turned on once. Also the ones at the Belgian Beer Bar seem to only get a gig once a week :?:

The Synogogue place ones were put up but the owners of the 2 new bars/clubs so are only on when those bars/clubs are open.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3248 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:52 pm

New Adelaide parklands events plan will ban ‘late night bars’ in Victoria Square
June 8, 2016 9:00pm
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... y-comments

LATE night bars and alcohol-focused events will be discouraged from opening in one of the CBD’s most popular public spaces under new Adelaide City Council rules.

The “Adelaide parklands events policy” has, for the first time, provided specific criteria to use the 60ha greenbelt, comprising 40 separate parks, and the city’s six main squares.

The plan, backed by the state’s hospitality industry, will prevent any activity similar to a “late night venue” — or nightclub — from operating in Victoria Square or from “monopolising” Adelaide’s central public park for more than a fortnight.

The council guidelines will also ban “medium sized” events of up to 10,000 people from opening past 2am on weekends and midnight during the week.

Events to be encouraged include those that are “culturally diverse and accessible”, and which showcase food, wine, lifestyle, health, arts or live music.

The guidelines follow a review into how events are approved in green spaces.

It included more than 12 months of consultation with business, industry and community groups, and residents, as well as city visitors.

The guidelines were produced after a call from Councillor Alex Antic in April last year, during controversy over the Royal Croquet Club’s use of prime public city space.

The popular Adelaide Fringe venue event came under fire over its lease of Victoria Square after a backlash from the local bricks and mortar businesses amid fears it was the state’s “biggest bar”.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3249 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 am

FFS!

This is clearly targeted at the RCC, one of the most successful events ever held in the city and organised by a group of highly enthusiastic local lads. Victoria Square is also the perfect location being situated in the heart of town, with the skyline making a fantastic urban backdrop.... But nooo, ofcourse the Adelaide City Council had to stuff it up.

Also f*ck the AHA, these struggling businesses need to lift their game and adapt to a changing scene. Stop blaming events like the RCC and small bars for your incompetent business management or poor offerings.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#3250 Post by Blimp » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:17 am

Sigh... ACC again spoiling the fun for the majority as a result of complaints from a minority. No wonder RCC cant be arsed in dealing with the ACC, they make their lives miserable. Why cant people just accept the fact that RCC is miles in-front of the majority of these brick and mortar establishments - they could learn a thing or two from RCC! Hopefully the State Government can step in as they've done in the past, these policy changes will kill off the economic/tourism benefits RCC pulls.

Im surprised they dont have these up throughout the squares..

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#3251 Post by Blimp » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 am

crawf wrote:Also f*ck the AHA, these struggling businesses need to lift their game and adapt to a changing scene. Stop blaming events like the RCC and small bars for your incompetent business management or poor offerings.
AHA defiantly deserve an honorable middle finger, they shouldn't even have a say in the matter as they have vested interests. Can't handle the competition we so desperately need.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3252 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:52 am

The RCC has already flagged its intention to move to a new location from next year. I think they will be setting up on the Torrens parade ground instead.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3253 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 am

mshagg wrote:Both options look terrible (for the bike lane - the pride walk looks cool). If they're going to cave to the demands of hotels who insist their guests are able to alight from their cars in the middle of a bike lane then don't bother with it and spend the money somewhere else.
If the idiots in the ACC actually can make a decision...of course they'll choose the cheapie $50k option with no actual protection afforded to cyclists at all except that 'magic green paint' that does such a great job of helping cyclists stay safe from inattentive motorists:( I shake my head..there's a world of examples of world's best design, but our idiots want to continue to pander to their vested interests and then try to tell us that they are trying to keep cyclists safe as well:( pull the other one!

FFS it is possible to build protected bike lanes that even add greenery to the street-scape without being over engineered:
Vancouver has been doing it for years. This bike lane is both directions on the one side of the road. for a single direction..it is usually a fair bit narrower.

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3254 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 am

And here is how you build it so the hotel gets its important guest drop off zone:

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3255 Post by mshagg » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:43 am

Shameful pandering to the AHA by that fucking prick Antic. Guess we spend millions on these beautiful public spaces so that bible study groups can convene there - so long as they clear out by 10pm.