News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Clr Yarwood
High Rise Poster!

Re: News from the ACC

#406 Post by Clr Yarwood » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:30 pm

I cannot recall re motor bike parking - fair call, will chase this up.

Re bridge - we are waiting on a commitment by State Government as it is an expensive job and they MUCH more $ than us.
Councillor Stephen Yarwood
Candidate for Lord Mayor
Adelaide City Council

http://www.StephenYarwood.com

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#407 Post by Maximus » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:49 pm

Clr Yarwood wrote:I cannot recall re motor bike parking - fair call, will chase this up.

Re bridge - we are waiting on a commitment by State Government as it is an expensive job and they MUCH more $ than us.
Many thanks, Councillor.

Does this mean the bridge is a definite go-er if the State Government commits funds?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Clr Yarwood
High Rise Poster!

#408 Post by Clr Yarwood » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 am

At this stage it has "indicative" support from ACC - So I assume so.

We would need to sign off on it and I know a c ouple of councillors have concerns but on balance we are a pro pedestrian council so I would assume it would get the tick.
Candidate for Lord Mayor
Adelaide City Council

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#409 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:46 am

Clr Yarwood, something the council needs to look into urgently is rubbish bins at the CBD Tram stops. Everytime I catch the tram there is litter all of the stop as there is nowhere for it to be disposed of in a close proximity.... just an idea :)

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#410 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:11 pm

Ben wrote:Clr Yarwood, something the council needs to look into urgently is rubbish bins at the CBD Tram stops. Everytime I catch the tram there is litter all of the stop as there is nowhere for it to be disposed of in a close proximity.... just an idea :)
I was only looking into that the other day, reading through all the design briefs regarding the tram extension, and it was decided at the time that rubbish bins would not be provided as they would be a vandalism risk and safety risk.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#411 Post by omada » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Shuz wrote: I was only looking into that the other day, reading through all the design briefs regarding the tram extension, and it was decided at the time that rubbish bins would not be provided as they would be a vandalism risk and safety risk.
So they prefer syringes on the ground rather than in a bin eh? :?

Clr Yarwood
High Rise Poster!

#412 Post by Clr Yarwood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:13 am

Correct– we have asked this question and been advised that Transport oppose bins because they are a security risk re bombs being planted.
Candidate for Lord Mayor
Adelaide City Council

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#413 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 am

Clr Yarwood wrote:Correct– we have asked this question and been advised that Transport oppose bins because they are a security risk re bombs being planted.
I agree it is a risk but where does it stop? There are bins along roads like Grenfell st, King William and more importantly Rundle mall. I really don't see the risk being higher at a tram stop then say Rundle Mall, but i'm no expert. the only reason I brought it up is because, disembarking on the trams these days is like walking through Wingffield dump.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#414 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Ben wrote:
Clr Yarwood wrote:Correct– we have asked this question and been advised that Transport oppose bins because they are a security risk re bombs being planted.
I agree it is a risk but where does it stop? There are bins along roads like Grenfell st, King William and more importantly Rundle mall. I really don't see the risk being higher at a tram stop then say Rundle Mall, but i'm no expert. the only reason I brought it up is because, disembarking on the trams these days is like walking through Wingffield dump.

If places like Paris can have those clear plastic bins in their train stations, I think places like Adelaide could manage too. The only difference I see is that we don't have armed forces patrolling our streets. Is this reason we can't have bins?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#415 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:01 pm

One thing that annoys me is that there is no bins in Adelaide station, only just poxy signs saying the nearest bins are on North Terrace.

Pretty handy if your running late for a train :roll:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#416 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 pm

Yet there's bins on the trains. Go figure!

nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

#417 Post by nimeton » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:27 pm

SA Govt limits Adel City Council powers
Posted 28 minutes ago
Updated 27 minutes ago

ABC News online

City council powers curbed (Mark Sibly)

Map: Adelaide 5000
The South Australian Government says it is restoring independence to building planning in Adelaide by limiting City Council powers.

From this week, any application for a building in the city area worth more than $10 million will be considered by an independent development assessment commission.

The State Government says the decision is in line with recommendations of a recent planning review.

SA Infrastructure Minister Pat Conlon admits the City Council will not like the changes but says building companies need confidence that their applications are being judged independently.

Tags: local-government, states-and-territories, adelaide-5000

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#418 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:30 pm

nimeton wrote:SA Govt limits Adel City Council powers

ABC News online

City council powers curbed (Mark Sibly)

The South Australian Government says it is restoring independence to building planning in Adelaide by limiting City Council powers.

From this week, any application for a building in the city area worth more than $10 million will be considered by an independent development assessment commission.

The State Government says the decision is in line with recommendations of a recent planning review.

SA Infrastructure Minister Pat Conlon admits the City Council will not like the changes but says building companies need confidence that their applications are being judged independently.
WOW THAT'S HUGE!!!
Last edited by Ben on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#419 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:33 pm

*Prays for a building taller than Westpac*
AtD wrote:Yet there's bins on the trains. Go figure!
Even still there should be bins in the train station...

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

ACC Stripped of Powers!

#420 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Wow! From adelaidenow.com.au:
RUSSEL EMMERSON
July 14, 2008 03:30pm
ADELAIDE City Council has been stripped of its planning powers for projects costing more than $10 million.

Large-scale commercial planning applications will be heard by the state-run Development Assessment Commission, which currently assesses projects of "state significance".

Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon said the decision aimed to remove the local politics from the development process.

"What happens in the city affects all South Australians, so it is important that decisions are made by an independent body and beyond the influence of local politics," he said.

But it will not help Aspen Group, the developers who motivated the change.

Adelaide City Council's Development Assessment Panel last week rejected Aspen's $180 million Tower 8 proposal for its City Central development.

The panel later said it rejected the development rather than allowing the developer to amend its proposal because it wanted to "send a strong message" that it was taking its heritage and planning powers seriously.