[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#781 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Bob wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:47 pm

What, because I actually have some cultural sensitivity and don't want to see a heap of trees from European origin planted in front of a gallery aimed at educating people on Indigenous Australia? Wow, how short-sighted of me! So many of you preach Adelaide's need for originality and progressive-thinking and yet you also cry in instances where banality is not adhered to in the form of bad town planning. Mpol02 is right in his reasoning for being critical of certain developments, and it's becoming ever-present how absolutely clueless some people here are.
North Terrace Boulevard can continue like the photo attached or be completely ruined by introducing the look in the other photo attached which is the native vegetation theme outside the East Gate of the Botanic Gardens on Hackney Road.

As I posted on Feb 4, move the proposed building back from the footpath if they want to add a native theme between the footpath and the project, or move the native theme to the proposed courtyard, or move the native theme to the rear of the project, but don't block the footpath from the continual consistent tree planted boulevard theme. You can have both but don't ruin the footpath - that was my point.
You say ruined, I think that well maintained native plantings like that could look amazing.
Agreed.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#782 Post by Spotto » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:35 pm

There’s pros and cons to both options.

Continuing the footpath and tree line along in front of the Indigenous Gallery would maintain the boulevard aesthetic of eastern North Terrace. On the other hand, there would be a stark contrast between the footpath tree line and native plantings behind the footpath that would accompany the gallery building.

Stopping the boulevard and installing native plantings and a footpath to match in front of the gallery would be a bold statement that would make it stand out from the rest of eastern North Terrace. On the other hand, if the transition between boulevard and natives isn’t done well, or it’s a sudden stop of one theme and start of another, then it’ll stick out like a sore thumb and not look good for either side.

I’d personally be interested in seeing different options for the native look right up to the kerb. It would compliment the gallery nicely, in a similar way that the tree line compliments the heritage buildings along the rest of eastern North Terrace.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#783 Post by Algernon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:37 am

Spotto wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:35 pm
There’s pros and cons to both options.

Continuing the footpath and tree line along in front of the Indigenous Gallery would maintain the boulevard aesthetic of eastern North Terrace. On the other hand, there would be a stark contrast between the footpath tree line and native plantings behind the footpath that would accompany the gallery building.

Stopping the boulevard and installing native plantings and a footpath to match in front of the gallery would be a bold statement that would make it stand out from the rest of eastern North Terrace. On the other hand, if the transition between boulevard and natives isn’t done well, or it’s a sudden stop of one theme and start of another, then it’ll stick out like a sore thumb and not look good for either side.

I’d personally be interested in seeing different options for the native look right up to the kerb. It would compliment the gallery nicely, in a similar way that the tree line compliments the heritage buildings along the rest of eastern North Terrace.
I'd like to see whatever they plant there not dying because 3 levels of government argue over who's job it is to water everything. For a bonus, it'd be super if they don't dig up the boulevard a week later because someone realises they dropped their keys in there or forgot to lay the utility pipes. You know, I'm really itching for this to be it's own street and not another Leigh st. I know for government types I'm really talking super expectations here but nobody should be telling anybody that they can't dream.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#784 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:33 pm

The argument not considered is that IF they continued the existing boulevard design along this section, would they continue it all the way to Hackney Road? And if not, what's even is the point of the current boulevard design being continued along the frontage of the Indigenous Gallery only for it to stop immediately east of the site?

I agree that the boulevard design looks good in the more established areas between Kintore Ave and Frome Street, and even outside Government House, but let's not ignore the fact that the design has failed big-time on the southern side of North Terrace along these same sections; the trees haven't matured all that much, by result it's always hot, it lacks variance and aside from people walking along that section to get from A to B, it doesn't have any activity along there (very little outdoor seating, no raised garden beds, few options for cafe's restaurants in terms of minimising the exposure to traffic along North Terrace which in term turns such businesses away).

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#785 Post by Bob » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:42 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:33 pm
The argument not considered is that IF they continued the existing boulevard design along this section, would they continue it all the way to Hackney Road? And if not, what's even is the point of the current boulevard design being continued along the frontage of the Indigenous Gallery only for it to stop immediately east of the site?

I agree that the boulevard design looks good in the more established areas between Kintore Ave and Frome Street, and even outside Government House, but let's not ignore the fact that the design has failed big-time on the southern side of North Terrace along these same sections; the trees haven't matured all that much, by result it's always hot, it lacks variance and aside from people walking along that section to get from A to B, it doesn't have any activity along there (very little outdoor seating, no raised garden beds, few options for cafe's restaurants in terms of minimising the exposure to traffic along North Terrace which in term turns such businesses away).
The concept was (still is???), for the cultural boulevard on the north side of North Terrace to run the length of the town plan from KWS to East Terrace with the same tree type as the vertical green structure, there was no intention of continuing past that point which just happens to coincide with the Botanic Garden North Terrace entrance. The whole length is about 1000+ metres, this last section is about 75 metres needing completion.

The south side of North Terrace opposite in the same section still need to have its final design, funding, and implementation, it can’t be the same as the north side due to lesser width, but the problem you point out about the heat and exposure has to be fixed. We must wait and see what the final plan is for that side.

ACC in more recent times (last decade or so) seem to favour deciduous trees for urban street corridors and native trees for open parkland areas such as the Torrens River re-vegetation, personally I think that is a good blend. You can go along the riverbank and get a more natural feel or you can walk down the North Terrace boulevard and get a city feel the same as certain parts of London, Paris etc especially as there are numerous prime attractions.

Even around the North Terrace/West Terrace crossover you will notice a more prominent deciduous tree planting along the north side up until the West Terrace intersection at which point the Port Road section becomes a prominent native tree theme, the RAH spans both sections.

There is still no reason the proposed Aboriginal Gallery cant have its entrance landscaping fit in between the boulevard proper and itself, in the same manner other buildings have. It is clearly a touchy point but personally losing future shade in summer and sun in winter along that strip I think would be a shame.

Speaking of aboriginals they seem to enjoy the deciduous trees on North Terrace each day for their gatherings in summer rather than the gum trees down by the river, not sure why, but its curious.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#786 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:58 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR_T
Gold-Member ;)

#787 Post by MR_T » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:37 pm

VIP update

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#788 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:54 pm

From today:

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#789 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 pm

From today:

New branding and signage

The cafe, bar in the Sheridan Kiosk is called “Community” and is always nicely busy

Deck for those working in the heritage buildings

Demolition continues out the back

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#790 Post by cmet » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm

Multiple reports that Google are about to reveal that this will be their 3rd office in Australia behind Sydney and Melbourne. Huge.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#791 Post by Howie » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:54 pm

Absolutely, with Amazon Web Services and Accenture both setting up there and now Google - this will definitely be a high tech hub.

I just hope that some of the other tech firms relocate to the area.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#792 Post by mattblack » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:18 pm

cmet wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm
Multiple reports that Google are about to reveal that this will be their 3rd office in Australia behind Sydney and Melbourne. Huge.
Confirmed

https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/news/medi ... t-fourteen

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#793 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 02, 2021 5:57 pm

The Australian Space Discovery centre is about to open at Lot Fourteen and looks like it will be an exciting place for anyone to visit. It will also be free!

https://www.industry.gov.au/australian- ... ery-centre

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#794 Post by Mpol02 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm

The level of tech business this has attracted has really surprised me I only hope it means other companies see Adelaide as a viable more affordable hub to our interstate sisters.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#795 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Mpol02 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm
The level of tech business this has attracted has really surprised me I only hope it means other companies see Adelaide as a viable more affordable hub to our interstate sisters.
It all depends on how big their offices are. Amazon etc. opening an Adelaide office or whatever might be a good annouceable, but I would like to see how many people will actually be operating from that office. I also really doubt large multinationals who make more profit than many nation-states and pay people $100,000 a year at a minimum care much about affordability. In fact, I'm sure many employees for these companies actively want to be based in Melbourne or Sydney, rather than Adelaide.