[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#796 Post by SBD » Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 pm
Mpol02 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm
The level of tech business this has attracted has really surprised me I only hope it means other companies see Adelaide as a viable more affordable hub to our interstate sisters.
It all depends on how big their offices are. Amazon etc. opening an Adelaide office or whatever might be a good annouceable, but I would like to see how many people will actually be operating from that office. I also really doubt large multinationals who make more profit than many nation-states and pay people $100,000 a year at a minimum care much about affordability. In fact, I'm sure many employees for these companies actively want to be based in Melbourne or Sydney, rather than Adelaide.
I don't know what anecdotal or other evidence you have for the Sydney or Melbourne bias. I suspect there are also many Americans and other employees of these companies that would rather live in Adelaide than either of those cities, once they have visited or done enough research to discover that Australia extends west of the Great Dividing Range further than is reasonable to drive in a Sunday afternoon.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#797 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun May 02, 2021 11:22 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Mpol02 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm
The level of tech business this has attracted has really surprised me I only hope it means other companies see Adelaide as a viable more affordable hub to our interstate sisters.
It all depends on how big their offices are. Amazon etc. opening an Adelaide office or whatever might be a good annouceable, but I would like to see how many people will actually be operating from that office. I also really doubt large multinationals who make more profit than many nation-states and pay people $100,000 a year at a minimum care much about affordability. In fact, I'm sure many employees for these companies actively want to be based in Melbourne or Sydney, rather than Adelaide.
I don't know what anecdotal or other evidence you have for the Sydney or Melbourne bias. I suspect there are also many Americans and other employees of these companies that would rather live in Adelaide than either of those cities, once they have visited or done enough research to discover that Australia extends west of the Great Dividing Range further than is reasonable to drive in a Sunday afternoon.
It's somewhat anecdotal, sure, but look at the population growth trends in Australia. Young, educated, ambitious people have long left Adelaide and other smaller cities for Melbourne and Sydney. There's quite simply more happening, more opportunity etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Adelaide, but one part of why working in a big company is desirable is that they are often based in big cities. Furthermore, cost of living pressures aren't such a problem when you're getting paid handsomely to work in big tech.

I see no issue with these sorts of firms setting up in Adelaide, but thinking they'll set up their head office here seems pretty unrealistic and I think the multiple attempts to get Google here illustrates that.

SBD

#798 Post by SBD » Mon May 03, 2021 12:10 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:22 pm
SBD wrote:
gnrc_louis wrote:

It's somewhat anecdotal, sure, but look at the population growth trends in Australia. Young, educated, ambitious people have long left Adelaide and other smaller cities for Melbourne and Sydney. There's quite simply more happening, more opportunity etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Adelaide, but one part of why working in a big company is desirable is that they are often based in big cities. Furthermore, cost of living pressures aren't such a problem when you're getting paid handsomely to work in big tech.

I see no issue with these sorts of firms setting up in Adelaide, but thinking they'll set up their head office here seems pretty unrealistic and I think the multiple attempts to get Google here illustrates that.
The Americans coming to live in Australia have already decided to leave Silicon Valley or New York. That makes them different to the people who started in Adelaide and are choosing to move somewhere bigger.

I suspect we can all find examples that "prove" what we want to. I don't know if there would be a reliable source on what proportion of Americans coming to work in Australia choose which cities, and for what reasons.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#799 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon May 03, 2021 10:51 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#800 Post by NTRabbit » Sun May 09, 2021 4:22 pm

SBD wrote:
I don't know what anecdotal or other evidence you have for the Sydney or Melbourne bias.
It's not about bias, it's about getting ahead - and employees putting themselves front and centre in the main office every day are more likely to get ahead than people marooned out in a satellite office, doesn't matter what city we're talking about.

SBD

#801 Post by SBD » Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:22 pm
SBD wrote:
I don't know what anecdotal or other evidence you have for the Sydney or Melbourne bias.
It's not about bias, it's about getting ahead - and employees putting themselves front and centre in the main office every day are more likely to get ahead than people marooned out in a satellite office, doesn't matter what city we're talking about.
"Australia" is the satellite office. It's good that some of these companies and their staff see Adelaide as a viable place for their Australian office.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#802 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
SBD wrote:
"Australia" is the satellite office. It's good that some of these companies and their staff see Adelaide as a viable place for their Australian office.
But they're not are they? How many have their main Australian office in Adelaide? Aren't they mostly satellite offices of the main Australian offices located in Melbourne and Sydney?

SBD

#803 Post by SBD » Sun May 09, 2021 9:38 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 pm
SBD wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 pm
NTRabbit wrote:

But they're not are they? How many have their main Australian office in Adelaide? Aren't they mostly satellite offices of the main Australian offices located in Melbourne and Sydney?
I am not sure. I had read the announcement as being special for Adelaide.

It looks like Accenture has presence in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney (the order on their website is alphabetical) but the senior leadership is in the Sydney site. Adelaide site is presently Angas Street, Kent Town, but expanding.

I can't find a clue for Amazon Web Services (they are deliberately vague as part of their business) but at least have staff in Canberra already.

Google will the third Australian site, but I'm not sure if they all rank equal as outposts of the US headquarters. I believe that Google Maps (used to be?) based out of Sydney (globally). Maybe Adelaide will become the home of some other thing we don't know we need yet.

bits
Legendary Member!

#804 Post by bits » Sun May 09, 2021 11:54 pm

Google, Amazon, Microsoft they all have an office in every significant city of the world.
How many staff and what they are doing is the important part.

Algernon

#805 Post by Algernon » Mon May 10, 2021 1:49 am

bits wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:54 pm
Google, Amazon, Microsoft they all have an office in every significant city of the world.
How many staff and what they are doing is the important part.
Yep, it's all about the scale. If it's just some field office occupying a floor of a building, then it's a few payroll guys and someone answering the emails nobody else wants. Only exception if some trailblazers started up a new product and somehow convinced HQ to keep their hands off it.

Patrick_27

#806 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:29 pm

Sidenote to all of this; it's ironic that this whatever was to be done with Lot 14 is was intended to fuel a resurrection of the East End after the supposed exodus left by the RAH moving west. However, the East End hasn't recovered at all despite there already being upward of 2,000 workers on the site. Both major parties can argue that it was the hospital moving that caused Rundle Street to die off but evidently it was happening well before that, and I appreciate that the Liberals have come in and actually made the most of Lot 14, which wasn't their pet project to begin with, whereas Labor were stalling on finalising any plans for the site; but make no mistake, Google, Amazon, Australian Space Agency; it doesn't matter who's on the site or how great their presence is, the fact is, it's an isolated hub with fuck all connection to the outside retail and hospitality precincts and more needs to be done about this. I don't mean building more apartment buildings/increasing the population of that area of the city, an actual plan to attract new local businesses much like they're doing with tech groups at Lot 14.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#807 Post by SRW » Mon May 10, 2021 6:59 pm

I always found odd the notion that building 30,000 sqm of commercial space on free parklands will somehow boost the East End more than investing the hundreds of millions into more productive land uses in the East End itself.

The innovation building could be built instead where the lung and sexual health clinic is at 275 North Terrace.
Last edited by SRW on Mon May 10, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#808 Post by Nathan » Mon May 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Paxtons Walk needs a complete rethink, as the key link between Lot 14 and Rundle St. If the northern end can be made inviting and active, then I think there would be more movement between the two sites. Frome St (between Rundle St and North Tce) too, with it's car park entrances, rental car yard and blank walls. If the links are dead, then we can't be surprised no-one uses them.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#809 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu May 13, 2021 12:56 pm

From today:

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#810 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri May 14, 2021 12:00 pm

This is coming down fast!