[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#661 Post by SRW » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:32 pm

I thought they were meant to be continuing the paving language from the rest of North Terrace? It looks like they chosen a new paver type (the charcoal) and are now using the Adelaide Granite only as accent.

It's hard to tell so I won't prejudge, but I have to say it really bothers me that this city doesn't seem to follow the manual of design it went to the trouble of creating.Every streetscape upgrade seems to do its own thing rather than following the aesthetic system for the hierarchy of streets . One of the things Melbourne does well is define its prime streets consistently in bluestone.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#662 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Marshall sets 2023 deadline for Aboriginal Cultural Centre

The $235 million Aboriginal Cultural Centre at Lot Fourteen will open by 2023, Premier Steven Marshall says, despite admitting a “complex” consultation with Indigenous communities has delayed progress.

https://indaily.com.au/wp-content/uploa ... x455-1.jpg

In an interview with InDaily, Marshall said his government would refrain from “rushing” its consideration and construction of the new gallery, but it had set a 2023 deadline to ensure the South Australian Museum’s mostly-hidden collection of Aboriginal cultural artefacts could be publicly displayed within three years.

It is anticipated that the collection – 95 per cent of which is currently kept in a leaky storage shed – will form the centrepiece of the new gallery, which aims to “bring Country to life” through interactive displays and exhibition spaces.

The museum describes the collection as the largest of its kind in the world, comprising more than 30,000 anthropologically and spiritually significant artefacts from across Australia.

Marshall, who holds the Arts and Aboriginal Affairs portfolios, announced he would build the “Australian National Aboriginal Art and Culture Gallery” ahead of the 2018 state election, at the time saying the gallery would be “the jewel in the crown” of the Liberals’ plan for the former Royal Adelaide Hospital site.

But he told InDaily delivering on the promise “hasn’t been the easiest of tasks”, with a “complex consultation” with Aboriginal communities delaying a scoping study by four months.

“It’s really important we get this right and not rushed, but we do hope that the centre will be open in 2023,” he said.

“We always said that we couldn’t begin construction straight away because there’s still extensive demolition on that site which needs to be completed before any construction can be undertaken, but that we would use this time to make sure that we had exactly the right project that delivered for Aboriginal people in terms of showcasing their wonderful stories and songlines.

“I think it’s much more important to let everybody have the opportunity to have their say rather than to rush something and get something which is not welcomed by the various communities.”

InDaily last year reported concerns from Kaurna Yerta Aboriginal Corporation chair Jeffrey Newchurch, who said the Government had not spent enough time listening to Aboriginal communities as part of the $200,000 consultation, and that artefacts would be relocated and displayed without traditional owners’ consent.

But Marshall said he was “really satisfied” with how the consultation with Aboriginal groups went.

“People came forward, they were spoken to, other people then came forward,” he said.

“I wouldn’t say the original vision for the centre has been changed but it’s been enhanced by dense consultation with Aboriginal communities and in particular the Kaurna people.

“I think, generally speaking, people are really excited about this opportunity to showcase these incredible stories and artefacts that we have here in South Australia and even more broadly.”

Marshall also addressed concerns that the Adelaide gallery – to be funded by $150 million from the State Government and $85 million from the Federal Government – had dropped the word “national” from its title amid competition with the Northern Territory over plans to build what both jurisdictions claim will be Australia-first institutions.

Ahead of the 2018 state election, Marshall described Adelaide as “the most suitable location for a national gallery which recognises the unique art and culture of our First People”.

He also insisted his plan would be larger in scope and more significant than the Northern Territory proposal.

But he has since stated the two galleries will be “complementary”.

“I think there’s further consultation that’s required and approvals needed at the federal level when you’re going to start naming things as national centres and we just thought it wasn’t necessary,” he said.

“We’ve never envisaged that there’s just going to be one central gallery for Australia which is showcasing Indigenous art and cultures and, in fact, we know there is a centre which is envisaged for the Northern Territory.

“We think there’s plenty of space to tell these stories in multiple locations across the country.”

In a report summarising findings from the Government’s consultation – published in November – it was recommended that the gallery by called a “centre” as “for many people, the word ‘museum’ or ‘gallery’ mean different things”.

The report suggested the centre could “tell the story of Aboriginal culture and history in a way that has never been done before” using modern technologies such as holograms and virtual reality.

No mention was given to the Art Gallery of South Australia, despite the gallery being one of the key cultural institutions consulted as part of the project.

“Obviously institutions can speak for themselves, but the Art Gallery of South Australia has been hugely successful in terms of Aboriginal art and storytelling,” Marshall said.

“I think we’ve all felt extraordinarily proud of South Australia’s wonderful success of (Aboriginal art festival) Tarnanthi and in many ways this provides the inspiration for what we’ll be envisaging for the new Art and Cultures Centre, and that is taking songlines and stories that go back tens of thousands of years and putting them in modern settings using digital representations as well as referencing back to original artefacts and artworks.

“Those collections, whether they be in the Museum or the Art Gallery or any other institution like our Botanic Gardens or the State Library or the state archives, are owned by the people of South Australia and I’ve always been impressed by the cooperation that exists between those institutions.

“If you go into the Elder Wing of the Art Gallery at the moment you see different objects that have been loaned to the Art Gallery from the South Australian Museum’s collection, so they’ve always worked very cooperatively in the past and I envisage that will continue into the future.”

Marshall said the Government was progressing with a $500,000 business case for the Aboriginal Cultural Centre, which would determine its curatorial vision, governance, design and operating structure.

He said the centre’s ongoing operating costs were yet to be determined, but “obviously we’ve got to be prudent with taxpayers’ dollars”.

“That’s why we want to make sure the commerciality of this new centre is optimised,” he said.

“When we look at modern galleries around Australia, there are commercial aspects that help with those ongoing costs and I can’t imagine they’d be any different here in South Australia.”

He also said the centre would increase employment opportunities for Aboriginal people in the state and drive interstate and overseas tourism.

“I think this will truly become a world-class space telling the incredible stories and songlines of Indigenous people on this continent.

“We’ve got incredible success with Indigenous artists, especially from central Australia and we see that in the success of the Tarnanthi exhibition.

“Bringing those two things together in a unique, new, dedicated space, I think, will provide a respectful representation of the culture.”
From: https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/02/11/ ... al-centre/

Patrick_27

#663 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 am

As someone who has recently started working at the Museum and has been able to get a better insight into this whole process (which Marshall is right, it's incredibly complex) and how things operate. I feel this gallery needs to be a part of a broader package that will see $100m allocated to both the Museum and the Art Gallery, in a way as a sort of compensation. The Museum particularly is going to lose a lot of its remaining draw-card appeal once it's Aboriginal artefact collection is relocated and inevitably there will be a redesign of this area for whatever replaces it. Not to mention the Museum hasn't had an upgrade in 40+ years, the exhibits are both showing their age and a lot of them are preserved by arsenic which makes servicing them a lengthy task (this could be rectified with the proper funding). There were also plans as some of you might remember to build out onto the front lawn of the Museum and build an underground exhibition space into this extension. I know some will argue that it's a lot of money to be handing out to these kinds of institutions, but when you weigh up how many visitors they take in every year (including schools), plus how long it has been between upgrades (the same scenario applies for the Adelaide Festival Centre), the government really needs to cough up the money and invest in these places (especially when you consider the fact that they don't receive any kind of rejuvenation for decades meanwhile hospitals and education institutions are always upgrading their facilities). All that said, The kind of package I'd propose would be a one-off $1b sports and arts allocation in the budget: $500m to sporting facilities upgrades/redevelopments; $500m to the Arts and culture (break down i.e. $235m Aboriginal Gallery, $100m SA Museum, 65m Art Gallery, $100m AFC); could lessen the blow to the state government's coffers by enticing federal funding where applicable (sports funding could be a part of a Commonwealth Games bid allocation).

Nathan

#664 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:54 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 am
As someone who has recently started working at the Museum and has been able to get a better insight into this whole process (which Marshall is right, it's incredibly complex) and how things operate. I feel this gallery needs to be a part of a broader package that will see $100m allocated to both the Museum and the Art Gallery, in a way as a sort of compensation. The Museum particularly is going to lose a lot of its remaining draw-card appeal once it's Aboriginal artefact collection is relocated and inevitably there will be a redesign of this area for whatever replaces it. Not to mention the Museum hasn't had an upgrade in 40+ years, the exhibits are both showing their age and a lot of them are preserved by arsenic which makes servicing them a lengthy task (this could be rectified with the proper funding). There were also plans as some of you might remember to build out onto the front lawn of the Museum and build an underground exhibition space into this extension. I know some will argue that it's a lot of money to be handing out to these kinds of institutions, but when you weigh up how many visitors they take in every year (including schools), plus how long it has been between upgrades (the same scenario applies for the Adelaide Festival Centre), the government really needs to cough up the money and invest in these places (especially when you consider the fact that they don't receive any kind of rejuvenation for decades meanwhile hospitals and education institutions are always upgrading their facilities). All that said, The kind of package I'd propose would be a one-off $1b sports and arts allocation in the budget: $500m to sporting facilities upgrades/redevelopments; $500m to the Arts and culture (break down i.e. $235m Aboriginal Gallery, $100m SA Museum, 65m Art Gallery, $100m AFC); could lessen the blow to the state government's coffers by enticing federal funding where applicable (sports funding could be a part of a Commonwealth Games bid allocation).
I get what you're saying, and would welcome an increase in funding to all the institutions you mentioned, but why would the Museum need "compensation" for what was their proposal in the first place?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#665 Post by Spotto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 am
I wouldn't necessarily call it compensation. The Aboriginal collection is being moved to a new gallery, that area in the Museum will need to be refurbished to prepare for whatever new exhibit moves in plus the rest of the Museum is overdue for upgrades and funding. It's more like a typical rejuvination for any aging facility, just hopefully with more funding breathe new life into the rest of the Museum too. Getting it done now will be much cheaper than waiting until something breaks and having to do the exact same repairs plus more.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#666 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Progress on the paving outside the old Allied Health building and along North Terrace today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#667 Post by baytram366 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:27 am

I noticed that the old brick and iron fence that I believe dated back to the days of the original hospital has also been removed most likely about the time of when the street trees were cut down. Does anyone know if this fence will be reinstated?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Llessur2002

#668 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 am

I remember reading about this a while ago - from memory it will be reused on the Lot 14 site but not in the same place and not necessarily in a continuous length.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#669 Post by d3v310per » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:11 pm

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#670 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Any chance parts could be reopened for coronavirus patients? Or are we past the point of now return for the site?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#671 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Any chance parts could be reopened for coronavirus patients? Or are we past the point of now return for the site?
Only the residential wing remains structurally intact but I believe it has already been stripped internally.

But the government has already requisitioned the old Wakefield and Golden Grove facilities for an extra 180 beds. Presumably they could also commandeer private hospitals or hotels for the effort too.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#672 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:59 pm

SRW wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Only the residential wing remains structurally intact but I believe it has already been stripped internally.

But the government has already requisitioned the old Wakefield and Golden Grove facilities for an extra 180 beds. Presumably they could also commandeer private hospitals or hotels for the effort too.
Yep - Spain nationalized its private hospitals earlier in March so you'd presume (hope) the Government would do the same here if need be.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#673 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue May 26, 2020 3:27 pm

Some photos from the weekend of the paving and landscaping outside Lot Fourteen on North Terrace.

It’s also worth noting that the historic octagonal Sheridan Kiosk on North Terrace (shown below) is being refurbished and already has a new paint job. It looks like they’ll be finished soon and Renewal SA are currently seeking expressions of interest from “experienced hospitality operators” to run this as a food and beverage outlet. It’s all starting to look really good IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#674 Post by Spotto » Tue May 26, 2020 6:28 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:27 pm
Some photos from the weekend of the paving and landscaping outside Lot Fourteen on North Terrace.
Thank goodness we've grown out of the mid-century attitude of "just tear it down and build something new" when it comes to anything heritage or architecturally significant. They're beautiful buildings and the landscaping makes them look stunning!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#675 Post by SRW » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 pm

It looks nice, but I am bothered that they haven't used the same material palette as the rest of North Terrace. IMO, it should have a consistent identity for its whole length, as was the objective of the upgrades to now (and per the city's design manual).
Keep Adelaide Weird