[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#1 Post by Howie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 am

Site of the former RAH to be developed under a international design competition.

Here is the PCA Press Release today:
The Property Council has praised the State Government’s proposal for a design competition for the existing Royal Adelaide Hospital, describing the site as a critical lynchpin in the revival of the broader Riverbank precinct and essential to the ongoing health of the city’s East End.

Property Council of Australia (SA Division) Executive Director Nathan Paine said the site represented one of the best opportunities to strengthen the link between the city centre and the river.

“Adelaide has seen some major changes to the city’s excellent urban fabric in recent years, but connectivity between the city and the river remains an amazing opportunity,” Mr Paine said.

“The RAH site represents an ideal opportunity to not only make this connection, but also to create a lynchpin site along the Greater Riverbank precinct.

“We expect the final selected design will give the site a high-level economic use; this is essential to ensuring that the site is used to counter any draw of economic activity away from the city’s East End by the emerging medical precinct in the west.”

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[SWP] Re: #PRO: Former RAH Site (Design Competition)

#2 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Design contest for old RAH site
SA Premier Jay Weatherill said a design competition would help decide the future of the current Royal Adelaide Hospital site.

The hospital will open at a new site at the western end of North Terrace in 2016.

The competition will open on July 18 and a winner will be chosen in December after a shortlist of six finalists is drawn up.

The Government will outline design criteria but the Premier said it did not want to pre-judge what a final design might include.

Mr Weatherill said the prize pool of $900,000 would be enough to offset the cost of the design work.

"What we're getting is the best of really anybody's ideas, narrowing it down to six, picking one two and three and that will inform the next stage in the process. We don't have to obviously have a solution until 2016 but we think this is a good way to go," he said.

He said the shortlist would include a 'people's choice' finalist.

Government architect Ben Hewett said a contest would would help attract quality designs.

"The opportunity to be able to go internationally to source the best ideas from around the world is an extraordinary opportunity to have people contributing their ideas to this city," he said.

The Opposition said the competition would pave the way for a broken promise.

Liberal health spokesman Rob Lucas said former premier Mike Rann had indicated the site would be returned to parklands.

"The Government had committed to demolish all the buildings and return it to open space parklands and the Botanic Gardens," he said.

"Personally that was never my view. There should be some reuse of the site so if the Government is paving the ground for breaking that particular commitment we'd welcome at least that particular part of it."

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I've got an idea.
Why don't they maintain the existing RAH buildings, and lease them out to UNISA, Adelaide Uni, Flinders Uni, and other higher education institutions?
Could they convert some of the buildings into student accommodation?

Both options will bring in money for the government and help recoup some of the cost of the new RAH.

Why do we need to do anything fancy with it?
Keep it simple and turn it into a money maker.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Dazzeland » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:58 pm

rev wrote:I've got an idea.
Why don't they maintain the existing RAH buildings, and lease them out to UNISA, Adelaide Uni, Flinders Uni, and other higher education institutions?

Both options will bring in money for the government and help recoup some of the cost of the new RAH.

You have a point but that's what Adelaide has been doing forever. Keeping it simple. This is a perfect oppurtunity for us to come up with some sort of brilliant tourist attraction that would make us a better place to visit

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Dazzeland wrote:
rev wrote:I've got an idea.

You have a point but that's what Adelaide has been doing forever. Keeping it simple. This is a perfect oppurtunity for us to come up with some sort of brilliant tourist attraction that would make us a better place to visit
I believe that's the plan with the entire riverbank precinct - that it becomes one of the great urban parks of the world, and sits alongside the Barossa, KI and Flinders Ranges as a primary drawcard for Adelaide/South Australia. What happens with the RAH site has to fit within the greater riverside master plan, rather than considered in isolation (and that's been stated - the masterplan, released this Sunday, will be included as part of the brief).

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Shahkar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm

To be fair, this is a great idea. Competitions bring up some phenomenal ideas which usually don't pop up. Personally, I would have liked a competition for the Fed square area as well, but oh well.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Would be great if there was a free public park in the city with "wild" kangaroos. That would be a tourist draw card.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Ben wrote:Would be great if there was a free public park in the city with "wild" kangaroos. That would be a tourist draw card.
To expand on your idea, I have had an idea for a while of building an 'Outback experience' type attraction. It would consist of a structure like the Bicentennial Conservatory, but larger, where the climatic conditions of Outback Australia are recreated (i.e. days of 40 C), along with our iconic red soil and flora and fauna. You could even throw in a 'traditional aussie pub' into the structure.

Foreign tourists would love it!

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Will wrote: You could even throw in a 'traditional aussie pub' into the structure. Foreign tourists would love it!
So would I. I'd drink there. Oh, hang on - I am foreign ... well ... once upon a time ...
cheers,
Rhino

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by mattblack » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:48 am

1 x Eden project please. It is awsome.

Educational, architecturally amazing, fun for the whole family (que Pushbutton), adventurous, live music venue, botanic orientated.

http://www.edenproject.com

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#11 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Adelaide Tower?
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by neoballmon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 pm

This competition is a great idea and i think there will really be some stand-out options suggested!
Something fun for the family as a whole, but fun to individuals as well, with a decent, affordable entry fee (ie. No more than $50 for a family of 4) would be great there. Could bring a whole new existence to the area.
Something that's open alongside the Fringe, but not competing with it, so Fringe visitors can visit the attraction between shows, or vise versa.

An expansion of the botanic gardens would have to be the worst use of the land economically IMHO.
I have nothing against the gardens, or parklands, but This creates no extra revenue for the site, with exception of a possible kiosk/tourist shop in one of the heritage buildings. Any enthusiast will visit to see the new section, but other than that, I don't think it will raise foot traffic much at all, leaving the East End much quieter than it is with the RAH there.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by omada » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Have the whole place as an urban combat paintball experience. Could also double as Armed Forces training facility and great location shoot for tv and movies.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:25 pm

mattblack wrote:1 x Eden project please. It is awsome.

Educational, architecturally amazing, fun for the whole family (que Pushbutton), adventurous, live music venue, botanic orientated.

http://www.edenproject.com
Great idea.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Matt
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Matt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Eden Project is brilliant, yep. Have been a couple of times, they've done a really good job.