[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#616 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am

Fortunately a legacy that doesn't require much effort to tear down...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#617 Post by rev » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:35 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am
Can we send them the bill for demolition?

With any luck, this wont get too far off the ground before next years state election.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#618 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:33 pm

rev wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am
Can we send them the bill for demolition?

With any luck, this wont get too far off the ground before next years state election.
I think the addition of the new stands etc is due to be ready for the next Adelaide International in early 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#619 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#620 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Cheers for all of the photo updates today Andy!

Algernon

#621 Post by Algernon » Fri May 14, 2021 4:29 pm

Most appalling vanity project I've seen from an SA government.

What's the next secret stage. A retractable tennis court to reveal a swimming pool for the PAC swimming carnival?

Fuck me dead

claybro

#622 Post by claybro » Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Algernon wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:29 pm

What's the next secret stage. A retractable tennis court to reveal a swimming pool for the PAC swimming carnival?

Fuck me dead
I'm no fan of continuing to polish this turd. However given the hate on here and in general for the rail yards entertainment venue, if the libs do not get back in, that will never see the light of day. So polishing this turd might be as good as it gets for another decade. At least it will fulfill the purpose of a covered tennis arena, also suitable for some mid sized concerts. Adelaide needs this venue-now. It is being built-now-without bankrupting the state. It will allow for the continuous navel gazing whilst various entertainment centers are proposed, in the usual Adelaide fashion. Hate to say it, but Adelaide needs this for the interim-and at least the location works well.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#623 Post by wilkiebarkid » Fri May 14, 2021 8:35 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 pm
Algernon wrote:

Fuck me dead
I'm no fan of continuing to polish this turd. However given the hate on here and in general for the rail yards entertainment venue, if the libs do not get back in, that will never see the light of day. So polishing this turd might be as good as it gets for another decade. At least it will fulfill the purpose of a covered tennis arena, also suitable for some mid sized concerts. Adelaide needs this venue-now. It is being built-now-without bankrupting the state. It will allow for the continuous navel gazing whilst various entertainment centers are proposed, in the usual Adelaide fashion. Hate to say it, but Adelaide needs this for the interim-and at least the location works well.
:applause:

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#624 Post by aceman » Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Algernon wrote:

Fuck me dead
mate it's this or nothing.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#625 Post by rev » Sat May 15, 2021 3:06 pm

We don't need this "now".
It is not "this or nothing".

There's a proposal for $250 million to be spent to redevelop Memorial Drive, a proper redevelopment not the half arsed bandaid fixes the current government is doing to the site.
That would leave $450 million (since SA apparently has $700 million to throw around). That half a billion dollars could buy a load of new ambulances, it could fix quite a few problems in our hospitals, and it could also fund more appliances for the MFS, and even fund more equipment for the CFS.

Anyone who thinks that a new stadium for nearly three quarters of a billion is more important then better funding and equipping of our emergency services needs to re-evaluate their priorities.

All this is, is the Liberals throwing around money that SA doesn't have so that they can say in years to come that they built something that wasn't already underway from the previous Labor government, nothing but an empty vanity project by Steven Marshall.

I guess there must be some plans floating around somewhere in parliament from the previous Labor government about using that land over the rail lines for something like a convention centre expansion or further use for the bio-med precinct, and someone couldn't take not getting their way again..remember, its these Liberals who wanted to build a new stadium where the NRAH & bio-med precinct are.
One way or another, they're doing what they want..even though SA voters rejected their plan for a stadium in that area.

What SA needs NOW is better funded emergency services.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#626 Post by SRJ » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:45 am

I actually think this redevelopment will be great. You all that hate it, I am sure you would love it if labor came up with the idea. How can you tell it will be crap until it is finished? At least they got off their ass and actually did something about upgrading it.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#627 Post by citywatcher » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:40 am

SRJ wrote:I actually think this redevelopment will be great. You all that hate it, I am sure you would love it if labor came up with the idea. How can you tell it will be crap until it is finished? At least they got off their ass and actually did something about upgrading it.
FACEBOOK type generalisations from uneducated people who can't back up their ideals with any empirical evidence
It's spraying air freshener on a turd mate

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#628 Post by SRJ » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Citywatcher are you saying i am uneducated? That is a bit shit of you to say. It is my opinion and I am entitled to free speech. Yes it was a turd before but now they are upgrading it to make it less of a turd. Can’t we at least see how it turns out before we say what it is like. I remember people on this page insulting the Adelaide oval redevelopment, now it is the best stadium in the country.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#629 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm

SRJ wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10 pm
Citywatcher are you saying i am uneducated? That is a bit shit of you to say. It is my opinion and I am entitled to free speech. Yes it was a turd before but now they are upgrading it to make it less of a turd. Can’t we at least see how it turns out before we say what it is like. I remember people on this page insulting the Adelaide oval redevelopment, now it is the best stadium in the country.
I’d prefer this if it didn’t feel like such a half assed approach. Optus stadium is better than Adelaide oval also.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#630 Post by Jaymz » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:10 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm
SRJ wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10 pm
I’d prefer this if it didn’t feel like such a half assed approach. Optus stadium is better than Adelaide oval also.
Interesting comment. Optus Stadium is probably a better "stadium", but other than having more seating, what else does it have in its favour? Does it have any character or history? Has it changed Perth for the better, or been a catalyst for further investment in the city? Probably not. There's a lot more involved in building a successful stadium than capacity.