[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#586 Post by rev » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:28 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:47 pm
That artists rendition is a comical reduction from the early renders, puts some of the bait and switch from the last few years of city high rise proposals to shame. You just knew it was going to end this way after the interim government put the pergola over the top and called it a fine new development.
They're merely spending to say they've done something come 2022.
They think by renovating change rooms and putting a roof over the eastern stand at hindmarsh alone will get us womens world cup games.

We're going to have to wait till Labor gets back in and several years at least for proper investmemt/development.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#587 Post by cmet » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:07 am

Adelaide international ATP event locked in for 10 years

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#588 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:32 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:05 pm
So I guess this means no basketball or netball in the city for a while, which is a real shame imo. Wonder if the design of this project allows for future expansion, hopefully.
This is just a hack job to say they are doing something.
Also looks like they are tearing down the north stand and rebuilding.
My question is if they could keep the old heritage facade but tear down the stands why dont they
rebuild the stands the entire way around with 2 tiers with corporate facilities.
Possibly raise the current roof structure if required to allow new 2 tier stands and increase capacity.

Very sad news for Basketball, Netball and inner city indoor Event Stadium.

Does not appear that the Liberals are interested in any new multipurpose Indoor Stadium or new Soccer Stadium for a long time to come.
Lets just rehash the old - hey why should they care they arent exactly bidding for events.

No Commonwealth Games
No Adelaide 500 motor sport
what will be next.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#589 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Picked out these images from the Premiers Instagram story promoting the stadium upgrade:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#590 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:40 pm

Renders look good & the strategy appears sound but the outcome could be like putting lipstick on a pig plus a 6,000 or so crowd is meh. A band-aid fix until a new venue/stadium is built... which could be 10-20 years at this rate.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#591 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:11 pm

As others have said, this is just putting lipstick on a pig.

Marshall must be kidding himself thinking this half arsed job will attract events like those in the flashy renders. This is an embarrassment compared to interstate venues like Perth Arena. That is something Adelaide needs, not some shitty open-air tennis court arena.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.
rev wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:28 am
NTRabbit wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:47 pm
That artists rendition is a comical reduction from the early renders, puts some of the bait and switch from the last few years of city high rise proposals to shame. You just knew it was going to end this way after the interim government put the pergola over the top and called it a fine new development.
They're merely spending to say they've done something come 2022.
They think by renovating change rooms and putting a roof over the eastern stand at hindmarsh alone will get us womens world cup games.

We're going to have to wait till Labor gets back in and several years at least for proper investmemt/development.
Yup. Spot on.

followthefish
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#592 Post by followthefish » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:16 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:24 pm
Picked out these images from the Premiers Instagram story promoting the stadium upgrade:

Something I wasn’t aware of, but the plan is to build 4 new grandstands - something that wasn’t shown in the images, which also made it look like the southern stand would remain.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#593 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:05 pm

Would they not retain the red brick of the Southern Stand somehow? I quite like how it looks with the arches and well established ivy growing up the walls.

I was at the Day at the Drive event on Friday btw. This was a restricted view $30 ticket, but I thought the view was really good. Here’s a photo

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#594 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 am

My last post I wondered about retaining the brick and it appears they’re actually using more of it on the new stands, as shown in these new renders.

The news reported that we’re only getting two new spectator stands to the east and north of the venue, along with some new food and beverage and a precinct upgrade. Wonder what will happen to the west of the court?

Should start in March and be done by January for the Adelaide International 2022.

The style of the new stands from the outside reminds me of the Adelaide Oval stand facing Telstra Plaza (shown below).

Brick arches to match the Southern stand?

followthefish
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#595 Post by followthefish » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:22 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 am

The news reported that we’re only getting two new spectator stands to the east and north of the venue, along with some new food and beverage and a precinct upgrade. Wonder what will happen to the west of the court?

Which is contradictory to multiple articles I’ve come across. In the Advertiser’s article from November, it’s said that “$44 million was allocated for the second stage of the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre redevelopment, creating an additional 1500 seats across four new grandstands”

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#596 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:19 pm

It's a big sum of money for space that is used not much more than a few weeks of a year.

Would have much preferred a rectangular stadium, or a multi-purpose arena, failing that.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#597 Post by kingy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm

followthefish wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:22 am
AndyWelsh wrote:

Which is contradictory to multiple articles I’ve come across. In the Advertiser’s article from November, it’s said that “$44 million was allocated for the second stage of the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre redevelopment, creating an additional 1500 seats across four new grandstands”
The Advertiser article states:
"Stage two, funded during the State Budget in November last year, is expected to be event-ready by the Adelaide International in January next year, while the entire project is due for completion in mid-2022."

So it seems there will be a stage 3 completed afer the Adelaide International for the southern and western stands.

followthefish
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#598 Post by followthefish » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:50 pm

kingy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm
followthefish wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:22 am
AndyWelsh wrote:

The Advertiser article states:
"Stage two, funded during the State Budget in November last year, is expected to be event-ready by the Adelaide International in January next year, while the entire project is due for completion in mid-2022."

So it seems there will be a stage 3 completed afer the Adelaide International for the southern and western stands.
Ah that would make sense. I read somewhere that as part of the 4 new grandstands being built, they would be maintaining the heritage of the southern stand, similar to the western one at Adelaide Oval.

Once this is finished, it will go nicely with a new riverbank arena.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#599 Post by Matt » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:13 pm

This bears very little resemblance to the sparkling “Memorial Drive Arena” Christopher Pyne was dragged out to flog a few years back.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#600 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:33 pm

Disappointing. Adelaide has this fixation about heritage where it is not needed. Adelaide Oval and now Memorial Drive. They could've easily developed this into a nice arena if they had lowered the centre court and encircled it with tiered stands under an enclosed roof. The ancient Romans knew how to build stadia where everyone had a good view. But why can't we?

Matt, you are right. What was envisioned several years ago would've been perfect.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.