[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#61 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 am

Ho Really wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
obituary resider wrote:While we are on the subject of pipe dreams and Hindmarsh Stadium, if the entertainment centre was to relocated to memorial drive (which it surely would if a multi-purpose venue is proposed) then it would free up land that could be used to create a footballing (soccer) complex around/adjacent hindmarsh stadium while also providing better linkage with the tram stops. Which would also mean the flashy dome thing outside the EC could still be used!
I tend to agree with this. However, the ET site could also be allocated to an extension of the Bowden site over Port Road.

I feel like if a new arena is built in the expected ten year time frame, that a tram to the airport will also no doubt surfacing around the same time and therefore would make a lot of sense to building a new soccer stadium where ETSA Park is... It'd be next to the tram and train lines, nearby our state's athletics venue, and still close to the city with a lot of available park nearby.
Someone is forgetting about concurrent events. If you want Memorial Drive to stage a basketball match and a concert on the same evening you would need two halls. Are they going to build two on the Memorial Drive site? I doubt it. I think enough money has already been spent on the AEC and bulldozing it now would be a mistake. Hindmarsh Stadium should not be transferred to the AEC site. AEC has more functions, shows, events than Hindmarsh so it would also be more logical to leave things as they are and build a football (soccer) venue from scratch elsewhere and have Hindmarsh Stadium re-zoned and sold for housing or whatever. ETSA Park is one place as mentioned. Hopefully there would be enough room for a stadium, associated parking and possibly an indoor training area.

As for public transport. The tram going to the airport would go down Sir Donald Bradman Drive and have a stop opposite both stadiums with access from below. This tram line could either go straight down the middle of Sir Donald Bradman Drive to the airport or turn south and run above the Keswick Creek to the airport. A railway station could also be included under the Hilton Bridges if required. My :2cents: anyhow.

Cheers

But under that same scenario, how does Perth Arena manage? Basketball, Netball, Tennis and live music all in the same venue and they have a far busier traffic of events on their calendar.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:20 am

After going to the Entertainment Centre recently, it's cemented my opinion that Adelaide will need a new concert venue within 5 years once finances start to improve again. Right now it's okay for our needs, but it's average compared to interstate venues.

If Perth can have a mixed venue, then why can't Adelaide?
Ho Really wrote:I think enough money has already been spent on the AEC and bulldozing it now would be a mistake.
As I've mentioned before, that $52 million was mostly spent on the new entry and theatre complex back in 2010. A worthwhile project as it improved the Port Road exterior, however the arena itself is just a relic from the early 90s.

ChillyPhilly

#63 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:22 am

Ho Really wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Ho Really wrote: Hindmarsh Stadium (Coopers Stadium) should have been upgraded properly a long time ago, but unfortunately mistakes were made. Besides the location at Hindmarsh is pathetic. A rectangle within a triangle. It was fine in the days of the NSL when West Adelaide (Hellas) and Adelaide City (Juventus) played, but these days venues need to be centralised, close to public transport, parking spaces and other pre- and post-match amenities. A brand new fully covered FIFA-sanctioned stadium with a minimum 25,000 seating capacity. Anything less would be a wasted opportunity. No more to say!

Cheers
Hindmarsh is connected to trains, tram and numerous bus routes; has a large multi storey car park at AEC, and has an (increasing) number of restaurants, pubs and bars in it's immediate vicinity. It's certainly no AAMI stadium or Adelaide Arena in terms of location.
Sure, but how far can you upgrade Hindmarsh Stadium? That's the question. Also you've got to factor in FIFA compliance.

Cheers
Two major ways:

- Westwards, across Holden Street;
- Northeast/southeast, by narrowing Manton St.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#64 Post by TooFar » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:18 pm

While it highly unlikly there will be an full rebuild of Memorial Drive any time soon. This design could be a suitable design and capacity.
The Hydro Arena in Glasgow, Capcity 13,000.

Ho Really

#65 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:But under that same scenario, how does Perth Arena manage? Basketball, Netball, Tennis and live music all in the same venue and they have a far busier traffic of events on their calendar.
Why make things so difficult? Basketball, Tennis, Netball and any other court type sport can be managed very easily with minor changes. Concerts and big events need much more room. It would cost much less to have a venue for court sports than something that would also cater for indoor motocross and similar events. The reasoning is that you've already got something built. If it needs adjustments internally spend the money there and not a brand new facility that is going to cost more than is required. Besides if you really want to stage huge concerts Adelaide Oval has proved it can do it.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#66 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:32 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Ho Really wrote:Sure, but how far can you upgrade Hindmarsh Stadium? That's the question. Also you've got to factor in FIFA compliance.
Two major ways:

- Westwards, across Holden Street;
- Northeast/southeast, by narrowing Manton St.
Sure you can expand in all directions if you could buy land and close off streets. Sure you could run Manton Street underground and close off Holden Street. Would that cause traffic issues and loss of business in the area? You work that out. However, if really want an expansion to the current badly designed stadium the only real place it can be done easily is to go south-southeast. There's a church there (and I can't remember if they still use it) that wasn't demolished when they expanded the stadium before 2000. That is what's standing in the way of a possible expansion currently, but even then how much more can you do to Hindmarsh to turn it into a world-class FIFA-sanctioned venue? Do you remember this Soccer's $270m grand Adelaide plan. Well that's what Adelaide needs. Not a redeveloped Hindmarsh.

Cheers

Ho Really

#67 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:42 pm

TooFar wrote:While it highly unlikly there will be an full rebuild of Memorial Drive any time soon. This design could be a suitable design and capacity.
Nice, perfect for those court sports and some concerts, but not good for indoor events like supercross/motocross, or any other acrobatic event such as the Crusty Demons or circuses where more room is required. Besides the AEC is used for other functions as well, like exhibitions, trades shows etc. Do you guys get the picture?

Cheers

P.S. Not having a go at you TooFar.

Patrick_27

#68 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:07 am

Ho Really wrote:
TooFar wrote:While it highly unlikly there will be an full rebuild of Memorial Drive any time soon. This design could be a suitable design and capacity.
Nice, perfect for those court sports and some concerts, but not good for indoor events like supercross/motocross, or any other acrobatic event such as the Crusty Demons or circuses where more room is required. Besides the AEC is used for other functions as well, like exhibitions, trades shows etc. Do you guys get the picture?

Cheers

P.S. Not having a go at you TooFar.
No, I don't get the picture you're trying to paint. Your suggestion is as unethical as the Liberal's proposal to build a new football stadium on the rail-yards whilst maintaining the Adelaide Oval; it's a genuine waste of land and money. The added costs you mentioned earlier of including live music into any proposal would be spent otherwise maintaining the AEC which as Crawf mentioned above (and I very much agree with) it's severely dated and uncommunicative in-comparison with interstate venues. The upgrades undergone in 2010 had little to no effect on the poor standard of the arena itself and was (like most things done in this state) a patch up job.

In regards to events such as supercross/motorcross, crusty demons etc, we have Hindmarsh and the Showgrounds which can and would host such events if AEC were to go.

And on you comment that big events can be held at Adelaide Oval; what I am suggesting is a 13-15,000 capacity arena venue, Adelaide Oval and Hindmarsh are 59,000 and 20,000 respectively in a live music event layout - it's too much for a Pop act.

Again, I agree with Crawf... If Perth can do it, why can't Adelaide?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#69 Post by rev » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Patrick_27 wrote: No, I don't get the picture you're trying to paint. Your suggestion is as unethical as the Liberal's proposal to build a new football stadium on the rail-yards whilst maintaining the Adelaide Oval; it's a genuine waste of land and money.
It's unethical? Why?
I don't agree necessarily with the Liberal's idea of building a new AFL venue on the railyards, but a rectangular stadium with a smaller indoor stadium next to it, to form a stadium precinct between the Oval and the railyards, and linked by a pedestrian bridge, perhaps a redevelopment of the morphet bridge, would have been a better use of the land then building a a new hospital on it. They could have picked any part of the massively underused and wasted parklands that surround the city to build the hospital. And used the occasion as the pretext to expand the cities public transport capabilities.

The biggest football tournament in Asia, with billions of people as an audience, did not roll into Adelaide because we do not have a suitable venue for it.
We spent half a billion dollars for a national sport that has very little international reach, and the international reach it has is insignificant at best.
Yet we can't spend some money to improve facilities for the world's biggest sport, which has a higher participation rate in Australia then our national football code?
"Soccer" has always played second fiddle to Aussie rules in this state, partly due to the racist nature of this state, but mostly due to the Aussie Rules centric media. The same media that's filled with former Aussie rules players at every corner.
In regards to events such as supercross/motorcross, crusty demons etc, we have Hindmarsh and the Showgrounds which can and would host such events if AEC were to go.
How do you know they would? You say it as if it's a definite thing, as if it's set in stone.
If you have a crystal ball, now's the time to organize a syndicate for the lotto with the rest of your S-A forumers.
And on you comment that big events can be held at Adelaide Oval; what I am suggesting is a 13-15,000 capacity arena venue, Adelaide Oval and Hindmarsh are 59,000 and 20,000 respectively in a live music event layout - it's too much for a Pop act.
20,000 screaming, annoying and obsessed females turned out for One Direction at AAMI stadium.
40-60,000 have turned out for Bon Jovi, U2, and Robbie Williams each respectively also at AAMI.

We don't need a small venue for concerts. We need an indoor stadium with no more then 20,000 capacity for sports like netball, basketball and tennis.
We don't need to have one that's convertible to a concert arena or a swimming pool.
We don't need to over complicate things for things that are never going to happen in a small, close minded conservative place like Adelaide which is scared of it's own shadow let alone big bold changes.
I don't think you want that can of worms opened.
But it's fairly obvious why Perth can have nice things and Adelaide is stuck with half arsed patch up jobs.

Christ we rebuilt Adelaide Oval around trees and an old score board and a patch of grass. That should tell you all you need to know about the mentality and scared shitless mindset of this state.

Perth has taken a big patch of grass, on it's river front, and is changing the face of it's city with the development there.

South Australia needs new management from outside the state with a mandate to bring the city and state forward.
Because our own are too incompetent, too gutless to do it. And anyone that makes suggestions is cut down.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by serca » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Rev I agree with some of what you said but Adelaide Oval having no international recognition or draw cards? What about the recently most viewed tv event in history India vs Pakistan?
And we missed out on the asian cup yes but Adelaide oval can be used for big event soccer matches - Liverpool vs Adelaide this year? Both of which would of not happened had it not been for the new AO. Also some of the big music gig's 50-60 thousand that we either miss out on or only get one show are now more appealing given the new AO

I think a 15,000-20,000 venue for tennis, basketball, netball, music gigs that kind of event would suite the spot. Entertainment centre possibly could remain no reason to get rid of it. But if this was redeveloped Adelaide arena, Aami stadium and ETSA park all would and should be redundant

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by Will » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm

rev wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote: No, I don't get the picture you're trying to paint. Your suggestion is as unethical as the Liberal's proposal to build a new football stadium on the rail-yards whilst maintaining the Adelaide Oval; it's a genuine waste of land and money.
It's unethical? Why?
I don't agree necessarily with the Liberal's idea of building a new AFL venue on the railyards, but a rectangular stadium with a smaller indoor stadium next to it, to form a stadium precinct between the Oval and the railyards, and linked by a pedestrian bridge, perhaps a redevelopment of the morphet bridge, would have been a better use of the land then building a a new hospital on it. They could have picked any part of the massively underused and wasted parklands that surround the city to build the hospital. And used the occasion as the pretext to expand the cities public transport capabilities.

The biggest football tournament in Asia, with billions of people as an audience, did not roll into Adelaide because we do not have a suitable venue for it.
We spent half a billion dollars for a national sport that has very little international reach, and the international reach it has is insignificant at best.
Yet we can't spend some money to improve facilities for the world's biggest sport, which has a higher participation rate in Australia then our national football code?
"Soccer" has always played second fiddle to Aussie rules in this state, partly due to the racist nature of this state, but mostly due to the Aussie Rules centric media. The same media that's filled with former Aussie rules players at every corner.
How do you know they would? You say it as if it's a definite thing, as if it's set in stone.
If you have a crystal ball, now's the time to organize a syndicate for the lotto with the rest of your S-A forumers.
20,000 screaming, annoying and obsessed females turned out for One Direction at AAMI stadium.
40-60,000 have turned out for Bon Jovi, U2, and Robbie Williams each respectively also at AAMI.

We don't need a small venue for concerts. We need an indoor stadium with no more then 20,000 capacity for sports like netball, basketball and tennis.
We don't need to have one that's convertible to a concert arena or a swimming pool.
We don't need to over complicate things for things that are never going to happen in a small, close minded conservative place like Adelaide which is scared of it's own shadow let alone big bold changes.
I don't think you want that can of worms opened.
But it's fairly obvious why Perth can have nice things and Adelaide is stuck with half arsed patch up jobs.

Christ we rebuilt Adelaide Oval around trees and an old score board and a patch of grass. That should tell you all you need to know about the mentality and scared shitless mindset of this state.

Perth has taken a big patch of grass, on it's river front, and is changing the face of it's city with the development there.

South Australia needs new management from outside the state with a mandate to bring the city and state forward.
Because our own are too incompetent, too gutless to do it. And anyone that makes suggestions is cut down.
Rev, I'm actually starting to get sick of your posts.

You completely forget that Perth is the capital of the richest state in the country. You constantly whinge about the "lack of balls" in this state, but really? Come on. In a recent post you acknowledge that our state economy is not in the best shape. Despite this, you still want the state government to build billion dollar entertainment precincts?

When you are floating in cash, it is easy to have vision. Do you think Arabs are somehow more visionary than other races? Or could it be, they have overwhelming cash reserves from their petrol?

Your rants are the equivalent of saying working class people are bad because they do not drive Ferraris.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#72 Post by rev » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:58 pm

serca wrote:Rev I agree with some of what you said but Adelaide Oval having no international recognition or draw cards? What about the recently most viewed tv event in history India vs Pakistan?
And we missed out on the asian cup yes but Adelaide oval can be used for big event soccer matches - Liverpool vs Adelaide this year? Both of which would of not happened had it not been for the new AO. Also some of the big music gig's 50-60 thousand that we either miss out on or only get one show are now more appealing given the new AO

I think a 15,000-20,000 venue for tennis, basketball, netball, music gigs that kind of event would suite the spot. Entertainment centre possibly could remain no reason to get rid of it. But if this was redeveloped Adelaide arena, Aami stadium and ETSA park all would and should be redundant
A friendly match falls under different regulations then an international tournament. I think that's something that South Australian's need to become familiar with.
Of course Adelaide Oval has international recognition, I don't think I said it didn't, and if that's the message you got from my post then accept my sincere apology.

We tend to miss out on a lot of bigger events, because there just isn't enough ticket sales in Adelaide. The reasons for that can be argued endlessly.
Soundwave ticket sales this year were described as pathetic, and this was more then likely the last time Soundwave will come here.
Now for whatever reasons people aren't turning up like they used to. It's a long held belief and often proven, that these large events don't sell enough tickets in Adelaide and thus don't make enough money to justify the expense of coming here. Now don't shoot me Will, but that's what's out there.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by Will » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 pm

rev wrote:
serca wrote:Rev I agree with some of what you said but Adelaide Oval having no international recognition or draw cards? What about the recently most viewed tv event in history India vs Pakistan?

A friendly match falls under different regulations then an international tournament. I think that's something that South Australian's need to become familiar with.
Of course Adelaide Oval has international recognition, I don't think I said it didn't, and if that's the message you got from my post then accept my sincere apology.

We tend to miss out on a lot of bigger events, because there just isn't enough ticket sales in Adelaide. The reasons for that can be argued endlessly.
Soundwave ticket sales this year were described as pathetic, and this was more then likely the last time Soundwave will come here.
Now for whatever reasons people aren't turning up like they used to. It's a long held belief and often proven, that these large events don't sell enough tickets in Adelaide and thus don't make enough money to justify the expense of coming here. Now don't shoot me Will, but that's what's out there.
Rev, don't think I'm attacking you with my posts. Indeed, I have agreed with many of your posts. Think of this as a disagreement between friends. I just feel you are been too critical of what our state can realistically do. I am not critical of you for wanting better things for the state, because I too want the same, I just feel it I unfair to criticise our state for things it cannot control.

Nathan

#74 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:37 pm

rev wrote:We tend to miss out on a lot of bigger events, because there just isn't enough ticket sales in Adelaide. The reasons for that can be argued endlessly.
I don't think we should be using Soundwave as an example. AJ Maddah couldn't organise his way out of a paper bag. Look at the issues both Soundwave and BDO have had nationally while other music festivals have been growing. (It also wouldn't have helped that it was spread over two 40° days.)

serca
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by serca » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:16 am

All good rev. I think everyone gets frustrated from time to time with how conservative Adelaide in general can be.