[VIS] Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

#136 Post by Nathan » Tue May 29, 2018 9:21 am

My feeling is that the Contemporary has greater pubic support outside the herp derp of AdelaideNow comments who equate anything to do with art as some champagne sipping elitist thing.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#137 Post by Pistol » Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:21 am
My feeling is that the Contemporary has greater pubic support outside the herp derp of AdelaideNow comments who equate anything to do with art as some champagne sipping elitist thing.
Am really worried about that pubic support.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

SBD

#138 Post by SBD » Wed May 30, 2018 12:12 pm

The Art Gallery of South Australia and the South Australian Museum sit side-by-side on North Terrace, both established in the 19th century, and both have collections far larger than their display areas. Each has both old and new "stuff", and both Australian and exotic "stuff" in its collection.

I see no problem with each historic institution gaining a new site in the oRAH precinct (aside: we need a new name for that space!) and partitioning their collections and displays in a way that makes sense for each of them. Current discussions appear to be that the AGSA would like a space for "contemporary art" and the SAM would like a space for "indigenous culture". Both sound like worthy goals to me. Both should be designed and developed with participation from all key stakeholder groups.

Nathan

#139 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Coverage of the forum on ArchitectureAU:
https://architectureau.com/articles/adv ... ary-forum/

Nort

#140 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 am

Just announced that Melbourne is getting a 200mil+ contemporary art gallery. Looks like we've been beaten to the punch.

Patrick_27

#141 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 am
Just announced that Melbourne is getting a 200mil+ contemporary art gallery. Looks like we've been beaten to the punch.
There could be funding issues with their proposals but yes, we've been beaten to the punch. A $1b facility in total with $208m state government contribution and the remainder from philanthropists... We're always going to be behind the a-game unless we plan bigger and better from the get-go. Personally, in light of this announcement I would totally ditch our attempts at a contemporary gallery until we know that we have something that will match or out-do what the Victorian Government have planned otherwise our attempts in trying to procure exhibitions from overseas will amount to nothing.

Nathan

#142 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 pm
Nort wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 am
There could be funding issues with their proposals but yes, we've been beaten to the punch. A $1b facility in total with $208m state government contribution and the remainder from philanthropists... We're always going to be behind the a-game unless we plan bigger and better from the get-go. Personally, in light of this announcement I would totally ditch our attempts at a contemporary gallery until we know that we have something that will match or out-do what the Victorian Government have planned otherwise our attempts in trying to procure exhibitions from overseas will amount to nothing.
I think the opposite, it's reason to push ahead. If we worry about larger interstate institutions outdoing us, then we'd never build anything. NGV is already significantly larger than AGSA, but that hasn't stopped AGSA from bringing in and staging some significant exhibitions, especially over the last few years.

A smart state tourism body would try and start shifting the goal posts where instead of trying to attract people to a single gallery (or any other attraction) in SA, start talking about the entire south-east of Australia being an art destination. Encourage international tourists to do the "art triangle" — Melbourne — Hobart — Adelaide. Talk up the proximity and low cost of travelling between the three. After all, where international tourists are concerned, it'd be a heck of a lot easier to convince them to travel between the three than it would to come all the way from overseas just to Adelaide. As long as the Adelaide Contemporary has a point of difference to NGV Contemporary and MONA (which it would with the Gallery of Time, and also potentially how they hang the other galleries — which AGSA have proved innovative in) then it would work.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#143 Post by noted » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Yes, totally agree. This adds to the case for our own contemporary gallery rather than detracts. If you are aiming to attract international tourists then it becomes much easier when you can leverage off similar attractions only a short plane flight away.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#144 Post by ml69 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:51 pm

MONA has shown the value of cultural tourism to a city.

Now most of the major Aussie cities are planning major redevelopments of their cultural buildings.

Brisbane ... already have the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA), currently the largest contemporary art gallery in Australia.

Sydney ... expansion of the Art Gallery of NSW to create a new wing called Sydney Modern. Cost $344M, due for completion in 2021.

Perth ... Museum of WA redevelopment. Currently being built. Cost $428M, due for completion in 2020.

Melbourne ... NGV Contemporary as just announced. Proposed to be the largest contemporary art gallery in Australia. Due for completion 2025.

Adelaide ... Adelaide Contemporary. Cost approx $250M. Due for completion ???

As you can see, we face stiff competition in the cultural tourism stakes. We have to invest and move forward just to maintain the status quo. The question is, do we want to be a part of the growth of cultural tourism market? If so, we have no choice but to invest big $ just to avoid falling behind the pack.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by Jaymz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 am

Wasn't sure how to post the article, but according to The Advertise's online site today, this was chosen as the winning design by a nine-person international jury. Interesting choice as it didn't seem to attract much of the interest in this forum.

Nathan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 pm
DILLER SCOFIDIO + RENFRO AND WOODS BAGOT

Adelaide Contemporary is a new cultural paradigm that places the idea of the “contemporary” within an expanded time frame, linking the deep history of Aboriginal culture, the historical and geographic breadth of the Art Gallery of South Australia’s collection, the perpetual present of festivals and events, and art into the future.

The building is conceived of as a curatorial apparatus tailored to support these juxtapositions of time, geography, scale, and media. A matrix of unique spaces unbound by disciplinary categories range in size, height, infrastructure and light quality, and provide infinite flexibility for work across media. Daylit galleries above and light controlled galleries below are linked by a ground floor Super Lobby – a radically welcoming extension of the city and its gardens. Combining curatorial experimentation with new modes of education anchored by the Gallery of Time, Adelaide Contemporary will be a cultural incubator for South Australia and the world.

https://vimeo.com/264263369

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#146 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am

Its a box ffs. Where is the iconic structure we need.

[Shuz]

#147 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:26 am

It is a box, but I'm sure it will use high quality construction materials, surely if it's to cost $250m to build.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#148 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:57 am

Lots of good info on the announcement here:

https://architectureau.com/articles/win ... temporary/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#149 Post by Pikey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:08 am

It's a nod to Port Roads Saw Tooth factories...

I'm being sarcastic of course. Talk about picking the least inspirational design.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#150 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 am

This was my second choice, I like it, I think it works.
I look forward to seeing what the rest of this 'innovation hub' and 'cultural precinct' have to offer.