[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | ~120m & 70m | 36 & 21 Levels

#76 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Nathan wrote:
Will wrote:
Ben wrote:I found a couple of renders ;)
Although, this is a jocular post, I wont be surprised of the final render doesn't look similar to this. As the developer is Kyren, they will likely stick with Cheeseman Architects. If you look at their website, most of their projects have a similar architectural expression.
They did the Alpha and Palais apartments across the road from the site, which have been a very poor addition to the East End.
400 King William and 74 Franklin were improvements on that effort though

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#77 Post by Jaymz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Oh wow!!! I really like on the second render how the building has been broken up into disjointed segments. A world first i'm sure :wink:

Patrick_27

#78 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:49 pm

For those of you eagerly awaiting further details on this development, allow me to tend to your needs. They displayed a flyover of the entire project at a council committee meeting this evening.

There are two towers (as you know).

The first is on Frome Street; a podium of about 8-10 levels (swimming pool on the top) that’s setback from the footpath (intended to open the footpath up more) and a tower that is centred on this podium with balconies all around. This building as you know will be 36 levels and from my own guess I’d say that it’s certainly taller than Westpac House, roughly a similar height to the Park Hotel proposal on Pirie Street. This will be a hotel building. The opening for the car park will be narrowed, and the entry for the hotel will be via the Tavistock Lane.

The second building as you once again already know will 21 levels, student accommodation and have a café on the ground level. This will be on the corner of Synagogue Place and Tavistock Lane. The developer wants to buy Tavistock Lane and use part of a site that he already owns on Synagogue to have Tavistock run between Frome Street and Synagogue Place (which would make things easier for hit hotel lobby on Tavistock.

InDaily will be posting the flythrough in their follow up on this laneway sale process.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the DAC will knock this building back (just like they did for the proposal on the corner of East Terrace and Rundle Street), it’s far too tall for the area and if this laneway sale doesn’t go through the developer will likely scrap the proposal altogether.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 pm

I hope its approved.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#80 Post by Norman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks for the info Patrick. I believe the reason why the other proposal was knocked back was because it was right in the heart of the East End precinct, this one is a bit closer to North Terrace. Looking forward to seeing how it looks!

norwood
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#81 Post by norwood » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:21 pm

The Indaily article mentioned that Council would vote to begin the process to make Travistock Lane a public road.
I doubt the Developer would scrap a 250M project if the hotel drop off couldn't be accommodated within the lane.

The Developer would simply revert to providing drop off on Frome Street or modify the existing car park entry and create a slip lane similar to a porte-cochère.

It does appear that the thought process in utilising Travistock Lane would be less intrusive to the proposed Frome Bikeway extension.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 am

Patrick_27 wrote: You can bet your bottom dollar that the DAC will knock this building back (just like they did for the proposal on the corner of East Terrace and Rundle Street), it’s far too tall for the area and if this laneway sale doesn’t go through the developer will likely scrap the proposal altogether.
Thanks for the well informed post Patrick.

Unless this is poorly designed, I have to disagree with the potential of the DAC knocking this back. They have a long track history of approving buildings much taller than their neighbouring properties and this is the exact type of investment this city needs. The East Terrace proposal can't be compared to this considering it was in a much more prominent low-rise location.

It's going to be a shame to lose the Rhino Room, though the benefits of this proposal far outweigh it. Overall this entire area is set for a major overhaul in the next coming 5-10 years, mostly thanks to the nearby RAH site development and recently announced tramline extension. I can think of a few high profile sites ripe for development - 275 North Terrace, Wilson Carpark (251 North Terrace) and back of the Masonic Hall. It's just a shame it will be all surrounded by the Alpha and Palais Apartments - one of the most underwhelming developments ever built in Adelaide.

Can't wait to see the renders.

Patrick_27

#83 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:03 am

crawf wrote:It's going to be a shame to lose the Rhino Room, though the benefits of this proposal far outweigh it.
I'm going to be completely honest with you all, I'm currently following with campaigning (behind closed doors) to support the Rhino Room over this development. Before any of you slag me off for this, I believe (based on what I saw) that the Rhino Room can (and should) be preserved with this development going ahead in respect to this.

The podium is quite wide in comparison to the tower on top and could easily be narrowed to allow the Rhino Room to still exist. At best the developer might lose a couple of hotel rooms and he'd lose the restaurant planned for that side of the building BUT in retaining it, he has a guaranteed long-term, UNIQUE tenant that has demonstrated that he can maintain a profitable business in this part of the city and this would help with his ambition to have laneway activation around the building as Rhino Room and Howling Owl are both open until late at night.

So whilst I won't bash any of you anymore on why you do support this development, do know that I will be (and already have been) quite vocal in my opposition of the Rhino Room being demolished but as I said I don't disapprove of this development, just of its current form. I feel that this can be amended just like the Harris Scarf development could have been amended to incorporate what's already there.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by Pants » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Will wrote:
Although, this is a jocular post, I wont be surprised of the final render doesn't look similar to this. As the developer is Kyren, they will likely stick with Cheeseman Architects. If you look at their website, most of their projects have a similar architectural expression.
Brown Falconer are the architects for this one.

They were behind the proposal for the Queen Adelaide Club, which I don't mind - http://brownfalconer.com.au/projects/qu ... aide-club/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#85 Post by rev » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Not far off..

Average. It would be nice to fill gaps, but not so nice when it will(potentially if it gets approved and goes ahead) be so dominant on the skyline.
Looks like something out of SimCity to be honest.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Not bad! No blank walls I'm guessing?

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#87 Post by Alyx » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 pm

rev wrote:Image
If that is the final design, there goes any enthusiasm I had for this project.

A blue glass box, perched upon a jigsaw puzzle of a podium, is hardly befitting of this building's prominence or its title as Adelaide's tallest tower. One of the biggest detractors for me, personally, are the solid walls on the near corner of the podium, but the overall design is just so generic. The design of the smaller building doesn't appear to be any more inspiring, but I will reserve my judgement until better renders become available.

When will we start demanding better of developers?

Nathan

#88 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:10 pm

That's incredibly bland. It neither attempts to do anything genuinely interesting, nor is it restrained in simplicity. When can developers here let architects move beyond this kind of rubbish?

Patrick_27

#89 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Alyx wrote:
rev wrote:Image
If that is the final design, there goes any enthusiasm I had for this project.

A blue glass box, perched upon a jigsaw puzzle of a podium, is hardly befitting of this building's prominence or its title as Adelaide's tallest tower. One of the biggest detractors for me, personally, are the solid walls on the near corner of the podium, but the overall design is just so generic. The design of the smaller building doesn't appear to be any more inspiring, but I will reserve my judgement until better renders become available.

When will we start demanding better of developers?
If you think that's bad, you're going to love the student accommodation building... It's basically a concrete box with window holes and an ugly canopy structure on the top of the building... A reporter from The Advertiser asked me at the council committee meeting yesterday how tall I thought this might be and I said 140m... I think I may have been a little off in my guess there, I apologise in advance when they provide such an unusually height in their report. :lol:

Cranjer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#90 Post by Cranjer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Anyone have the tools to put this building into context against our skyline? Be interesting to see the effect of a potential new tallest so far towards the east end.