[VIS] University of Adelaide Redevelopment (Main Campus)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
floplo
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] Re: University of Adelaide Redevelopment (North Tce Campus)

#31 Post by floplo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Actually I can't see why they would start with that rather than putting up the tower across the street first

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 am

floplo wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:02 pm
Actually I can't see why they would start with that rather than putting up the tower across the street first
I thought that was the original plan - build the new tower, then build the gateway building.

Maybe the Napier building is in worse structural condition than previously thought and will need to come down ASAP?

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 am
floplo wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:02 pm
I thought that was the original plan - build the new tower, then build the gateway building.

Maybe the Napier building is in worse structural condition than previously thought and will need to come down ASAP?
It may come down to the amount of other activity around the Pulteney Street corner with tram extension works currently happening right out front and Realm across the way also due to start.
Either that or the money, money money...

Llessur2002

#34 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:58 pm

True, but the new tower was originally floated as a prerequisite of the gateway building as it was required to decant the Arts and Law students from Napier and Ligertwood buildings to allow those buildings to be demolished.

I wonder what the plan is now. I know the Uni had floated the idea of using some of the old red brick RAH buildings on Frome Road as temporary teaching space during the works but presumably this would only work if those buildings were to be around and accessible for the next 2-3 years minimum.

Given the fact that the Uni has just spent $x-million housing their new ThincLab on the site of the proposed tower I presume this isn't on the short-term to-do list any more.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by floplo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Not sure whether the thinclab thing is really an obstacle. let them take two more years till they get around to plan, finance and decide on it and by then they will be happy to tear that down again..... (or shift to somewhere on the old RAH site)

I have no idea how it looks internally, but could the Schulz building be the temporary stop gap for law & arts ? The Masterplan had it as 'residential' but with the glut of student housing coming onto the market in the next two years I seriously doubt that the uni wants to invest into that (they already have to figure out how to spruik the existing accommodation they are managing). So if that doesn't turn into residential space it could be the solution for Napier/Ligertwood?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:22 pm

It wouldn't take much to replace Ligertwood. It's not exactly a feature-rich building. Just some space divided into lecture, tute and office spaces.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by floplo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 am

monotonehell wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:22 pm
It wouldn't take much to replace Ligertwood. It's not exactly a feature-rich building. Just some space divided into lecture, tute and office spaces.
and a library

practically it's not about particular features of the building, it's about finding enough space in a single or at least connected locations. The University doesn't really keep buildings with office space for 50 or so academics, substantial lecture rooms and library space empty for these kind of situations...

It's easy to replace, but you need to have a solution to keep everything going while you are creating the replacement

[Shuz]

#38 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 pm

There's a CBD office vacancy rate of like 10% atm. I'm sure they could retrofit a few floors of some shitty building someplace for a couple years until works are done.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 pm

[Shuz] wrote:There's a CBD office vacancy rate of like 10% atm. I'm sure they could retrofit a few floors of some shitty building someplace for a couple years until works are done.
I think it's a bit higher, something like 15-20% vacancy AFAIK.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by floplo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Norman wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:There's a CBD office vacancy rate of like 10% atm. I'm sure they could retrofit a few floors of some shitty building someplace for a couple years until works are done.
I think it's a bit higher, something like 15-20% vacancy AFAIK.
Sure, but I somehow can't imagine many landlords willing to fit a lecture hall into their office space....

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Wasn't Adelaide Uni phasing out lectures anyway in preference of class learning and online?

I would say it's safe assume that the uni will take over some of the oRAH buildings while their future use is determined.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#42 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Once again, I sense this "we need another tower" mentality seeping through here... IMO and I believe this opinion is shared by the Uni, the Napier building needs to go, it's run down and a bad look for the Uni. As it has been mentioned there is plenty of vacant office space in Adelaide to fill the void temporarily. Besides, how many lecture halls do you people really think are in the Napier building? There is plenty of room to move lectures to other buildings on campus during the construction faze.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by noted » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:25 am

Makes sense to get on and bulldoze the Napier rather than spending years in a doomed building. Wouldn't think the uni would have too much trouble rescheduling lectures across the campus during the construction phase.

Llessur2002

#44 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 pm
Once again, I sense this "we need another tower" mentality seeping through here...
Nothing to do with that - when the VC presented the masterplan to staff the new tower was marked as a prerequisite to the rest of the work for logistical reasons. Doesn't really bother me whether it gets built or not (other than the fact it would probably result in the change of my workplace), I would just be interested to find out what the new plan is if that's no longer required. The floating crystal palace is far more interesting than the tower...

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by floplo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 pm

noted wrote:Makes sense to get on and bulldoze the Napier rather than spending years in a doomed building. Wouldn't think the uni would have too much trouble rescheduling lectures across the campus during the construction phase.
Yikes, you have no idea the nightmare class timetabling is... Taking out half a dozen large lecture rooms without replacement would probably cause half the timetabling team to have heart attacks... (the uni is basically running at capacity for larger lecture rooms, there aren't really any spare rooms around... )