[COM] Lot 8 | 43m | 13lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #U/C: Lot 8 Coglin Place - 43m, 13 lvls

#211 Post by Norman » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:15 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:Nice pics Norman. That blue glass is certainly a rich colour.
Thanks should go to Pikey ;)

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#212 Post by Just build it » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:40 am

What a great building. Simple, fresh and modern with some really cool features and fantastic looking blue glass. If I were looking for a work space in the city I'd be all over it (if its not full already).

Special thanks to the person who insisted on blue glass and not another hideous shade of green. Actually, thinking about drab designs that would benefit from a colour boost and modern look, how much sexier would Spire look using this same blue? :D

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#213 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Norman wrote:
wilkiebarkid wrote:Nice pics Norman. That blue glass is certainly a rich colour.
Thanks should go to Pikey ;)
Whoops!!

That's probably the red wine!!

Having said that, the more I look at this building. the more I think we are being cheated here in Adelaide.

It's not much to get excited about. After all, it's a poor excuse for a CBD high-rise in a city of Adelaide's size. I'm pretty sure that this would have been refused in Pirie or Grenfell Streets. This is why the southern end of the CBD needs to be given serious planning vision, or we'll end up with buildings of no real architectural merit, and of suspect quality and size in what should be the future growth area of this fine city.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#214 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:04 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:...the more I look at this building. the more I think we are being cheated here in Adelaide.

It's not much to get excited about. After all, it's a poor excuse for a CBD high-rise in a city of Adelaide's size. I'm pretty sure that this would have been refused in Pirie or Grenfell Streets. This is why the southern end of the CBD needs to be given serious planning vision, or we'll end up with buildings of no real architectural merit, and of suspect quality and size in what should be the future growth area of this fine city.
Very true, it's uninspiring, just like most of Kyren's (Samaras) developments. It's the simple (economical) way it's built, steel and glass. I guess most here don't mind it, because it's blue and it adds height to an otherwise rather flattish landscape. Let's hope future developments down south follow on the lines of the Hills Industries, Edge and Wave models. :)

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#215 Post by Just build it » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:55 am

I suppose what one person likes another dislikes. Thats life. I honestly think there's extremely few sites in the CBD this would have been knocked back for and definitely zero south of the Sq. There's nothing obnoxious about the design apart from being clean and simple and the site it's on isn't exactly the centre of the universe.

100x better to have this thing go up fast and start working than hanging onto the space waiting for the perfect low-mid rise application that never comes. Even KWS itself may not be built up fully for another 50 years.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#216 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 am

I really don;t know how this building could be nearly 10metres less then Ernst & Young. ... maybe just because of it's location it looks taller then it is? Looks atleast in the 50's

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#217 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 am

I think it has a lot to do with its location. Also the fact Ernst and Young is basically attached to ANZ makes it appear shorter too. Coglin is also a bit more slender which makes it appear taller.

Coglin's simple design is good. A simple and a clean appearance can be very effective. I also think the fact it is blue glass is a big plus. We are all over green glass now I think :D It's worst feature is its eastern blank wall, could have included a bit more detailing but it isn't that obvious from many nearby locations.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#218 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 pm

One of Shuz's pics
Looks dominating, I really like it.
The cladding looks great to.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#219 Post by Shuz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:16 pm

There's more where that came from :P
Took a photo tour today, and by golly does the blue glass look - to quote Giorgios - "hawt".

And an oldie (2 weeks)
Last edited by Shuz on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#220 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Maybe we like blue because it looks like water... either because water is calming or because water is scarce.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#221 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Norman wrote:Maybe we like blue because it looks like water... either because water is calming or because water is scarce.

The Torrens river is green, the Port river is brown.....

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#222 Post by Pants » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Really don't see the fascination with this one. It's just a white box with cheap looking blue glass.

Each to their own I guess.

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#223 Post by Zills » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:07 pm

why so many nasty pasties?
I think the truth is that some of you just need a good root!
Everything that goes up in this city gets bagged out, seriously people, just learn to get amped!!!

One day you'll be dead!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#224 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:46 pm

zills_86 wrote:why so many nasty pasties?
Everything that goes up in this city gets bagged out, seriously people, just learn to get amped!!!

One day you'll be dead!
wow, random.....

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#225 Post by frank1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:08 pm

Cruise wrote:
zills_86 wrote:why so many nasty pasties?

One day you'll be dead!
wow, random.....
But true enough :wink: