[COM] 52-66 King William Street | 65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#16 Post by Pants » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:57 pm

There’s a render on the front page of Adelaide Now but not one in the story, so I can’t copy the link. If someone’s still on an image hosting site, it’d be great if they could copy it in.

Looks pretty good.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Pants » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Here’s the article:

Southern Cross Arcade on King William St to be demolished for 15-storey tower
A popular food court in the city would be demolished to way for a 15-storey office tower under new plans to redevelop a slice of Adelaide’s major CBD thoroughfare.
Giuseppe Tauriello, Renato Castello, The City

August 6, 2020 3:30pm

The Southern Cross Arcade on King William Street will be razed to make way for a 15-storey office tower under new plans from property developer Charter Hall.

The company has lodged plans with the state’s planning commission, which include 40,000sq m of office space and 3000sq m of retail on the ground floor.

Charter Hall regional development director Simon Stockfeld said the company had entered an agreement to purchase the site from a group of investors led by Adelaide property investor Peter Tunno, and hoped to get work started early in the new year.

“We would hope to get at least 50 per cent pre-leased before we start construction,” he said.

“If everything goes well we’ll commence construction early next year and completion by the middle of 2023.”
The Advertiser understands Charter Hall is close to securing major tenant Services Australia to anchor the project.

The Federal Government department, which oversees public services including Centrelink and Medicare, has been on the hunt for 29,000sq m of office space in the Adelaide CBD since last year.

Mr Stockfeld and international property group JLL, which is handling expressions of interest on behalf of Services Australia, declined to comment on the status of negotiations.

Last year Charter Hall completed construction of the $260m GPO Exchange building for BHP and the Attorney-General’s Department.

Mr Stockfeld said the King William Street project, designed by Adelaide Oval redevelopment architect Cox Architecture, would draw inspiration from its state-of-the-art facilities.

“It’s really building on the work we did on GPO Exchange – it will be a technology-enabled building, a green building and a great retail element at the bottom of the building,” he said.

“We’ve been through the pre-lodgement process and it’s been a good consultative process with the State Government and Adelaide City Council, to put forward a fantastic redevelopment for this site.

“We like the King William Street location and the fact the site goes all the way through to James Place is appealing too.

“Most office tenants look for large floor-plates and this is very large site so we feel it represents a good investment for Charter Hall in South Australia.”

At 3000sq m, the floor-plates will be some of the biggest on offer in Adelaide.

Mr Stockfeld said the ground floor would offer a range of retail tenancies, replacing the current arcade which includes an international food court, newsagency and Cheap as Chips.

“It will be food and beverage and convenience-type retail – it’s in a strong retail location around the corner from Rundle Mall and we’ve got some ideas from a retail perspective.”

Southern Cross Newsagency owner Daryl Seekamp said he would “be amazed” if he would return after the upgrade.

“It’s probably going to be a two-year project at least and there’s no way I’ll be coming back,” he said, adding that his trade was 40 per cent down on pre-COVID levels.

He said four shops were presently empty in the arcade and another two tenants would be leaving soon.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Image from the article:

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Thank you for posting. I really like it, I just wish it were taller. Like another 100m taller.

PeFe

#20 Post by PeFe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:57 pm

I like it too....and want it to be much taller, with most of the floors set back from the street.

The current render is just a bit too "chunky" for my liking.

Patrick_27

#21 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:11 pm

And people were saying about how this would be a stumpy, shit design?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:13 pm

This will bring thousands of workers back to the central cbd area. This will be great for the mall and surrounds. Will be glad to see those $2 shops fronting king William disappear.

Nathan

#23 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:13 pm
Will be glad to see those $2 shops fronting king William disappear.
One can only hope. Along with North Tce, KWS is one of our premier streets, but it's lined with a lot of tacky businesses. Discount shops, tourist souvenirs, questionable forex traders, aging lunch bars, etc.

Algernon

#24 Post by Algernon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:13 pm
This will bring thousands of workers back to the central cbd area. This will be great for the mall and surrounds. Will be glad to see those $2 shops fronting king William disappear.
Stretching my memory a lot here, but about 25 years ago those shops were great for the dirt cheap, illegal, boot leg cds. They even advertised them on TV. :lol:

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by cmet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:45 pm

claybro wrote:
gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 pm
noted wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:42 pm
I wouldn't. Unless this in an amazing design, there are enough dumpy 50-60 metre buildings lining King William Street. Once it is there it won't be going anywhere, so if it takes decades for something better to be built then so be it.
A well designed 50m building is bester than a poor or average 100m building. Not all buildings need to be tall to add to the Adelaide cityscape.
However we can be almost guaranteed it will turn out both short and disappointing in appearance. This is such a prominent location in the absolute core of the CBD.
Nope, Charter Hall are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by how good is he » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 pm

While I agree I would have loved to see this 3x higher, the floor plates are massive, some 3000-4000 sqm per floor (4,000 sqm is an acre). So the trade off could have been a tall slender tower 3 x taller but with say 1,000 sq m floor plates or of course they go 3x higher with the risk the building being half empty. However in saying that I read ServicesSA (Govt) is or is expected to be the major tenant. So I am wondering if there is even more tenant demand for this site now it is announced, if they could/would build higher?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:29 pm

how good is he wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 pm
While I agree I would have loved to see this 3x higher, the floor plates are massive, some 3000-4000 sqm per floor (4,000 sqm is an acre). So the trade off could have been a tall slender tower 3 x taller but with say 1,000 sq m floor plates or of course they go 3x higher with the risk the building being half empty. However in saying that I read ServicesSA (Govt) is or is expected to be the major tenant. So I am wondering if there is even more tenant demand for this site now it is announced, if they could/would build higher?
The rumored tenant is Services Australia, which is the old Department of Human Services, which itself is the behemoth of Centrelink, Medicare and a few other areas.

Ho Really

#28 Post by Ho Really » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 pm

A nice looking building, but it is another missed opportunity for an iconic tower on a large alotment in a prime location. :( Probably more disappointing than the Planet site in Pirie Street. My :2cents:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Algernon

#29 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 am

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 pm
A nice looking building, but it is another missed opportunity for an iconic tower on a large alotment in a prime location. :( Probably more disappointing than the Planet site in Pirie Street. My :2cents:

Cheers
Medium to large organisations prefer large floorplates, so there will always be a tendency to go low and clumpy in Adelaide. Residential buildings are the opposite - they need to be as narrow as possible to allow sufficient light penetration into as many rooms as possible. I like tallies like everyone else, but it's going to be the residential/hotel sector that gets us there.

As far as clumpy ground scrapers go, this one looks pretty decent. Not a missed opportunity at all...

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#30 Post by citywatcher » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 am

Algernon wrote:
Ho Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 pm

Cheers
Medium to large organisations prefer large floorplates, so there will always be a tendency to go low and clumpy in Adelaide. Residential buildings are the opposite - they need to be as narrow as possible to allow sufficient light penetration into as many rooms as possible. I like tallies like everyone else, but it's going to be the residential/hotel sector that gets us there.

As far as clumpy ground scrapers go, this one looks pretty decent. Not a missed opportunity at all...
Yeah it is.
Main St. Prime site. Short stumpy
building full of public servants. Image

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk