[COM] 52-66 King William Street | 65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#31 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:32 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 am
Algernon wrote:
Ho Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 pm
A nice looking building, but it is another missed opportunity for an iconic tower on a large alotment in a prime location. :( Probably more disappointing than the Planet site in Pirie Street. My :2cents:

Cheers
Medium to large organisations prefer large floorplates, so there will always be a tendency to go low and clumpy in Adelaide. Residential buildings are the opposite - they need to be as narrow as possible to allow sufficient light penetration into as many rooms as possible. I like tallies like everyone else, but it's going to be the residential/hotel sector that gets us there.

As far as clumpy ground scrapers go, this one looks pretty decent. Not a missed opportunity at all...
Yeah it is.
Main St. Prime site. Short stumpy
building full of public servants. Image

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
It's alright, you'll get over it city watcher.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#32 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Algernon wrote:
Ho Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 pm
A nice looking building, but it is another missed opportunity for an iconic tower on a large alotment in a prime location. :( Probably more disappointing than the Planet site in Pirie Street. My :2cents:

Cheers
Medium to large organisations prefer large floorplates, so there will always be a tendency to go low and clumpy in Adelaide. Residential buildings are the opposite - they need to be as narrow as possible to allow sufficient light penetration into as many rooms as possible. I like tallies like everyone else, but it's going to be the residential/hotel sector that gets us there.

As far as clumpy ground scrapers go, this one looks pretty decent. Not a missed opportunity at all...
Yeah it is.

Yeah - because only office workers in the private sector spend money :lol:

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#33 Post by citywatcher » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Algernon wrote: Medium to large organisations prefer large floorplates, so there will always be a tendency to go low and clumpy in Adelaide. Residential buildings are the opposite - they need to be as narrow as possible to allow sufficient light penetration into as many rooms as possible. I like tallies like everyone else, but it's going to be the residential/hotel sector that gets us there.

Yeah it is.

It's alright, you'll get over it city watcher.
That the best you can do

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#34 Post by citywatcher » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:12 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Algernon wrote: Medium to large organisations prefer large floorplates, so there will always be a tendency to go low and clumpy in Adelaide. Residential buildings are the opposite - they need to be as narrow as possible to allow sufficient light penetration into as many rooms as possible. I like tallies like everyone else, but it's going to be the residential/hotel sector that gets us there.

Yeah it is.

Yeah - because only office workers in the private sector spend money Image
Private sector would build something worthy of the site
Economics 101

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:31 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:12 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Yeah it is.

Economics 101

Charter Hall - the developer, is a private company, no?

cmet
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#36 Post by cmet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:14 am

citywatcher wrote:
gnrc_louis wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Yeah it is.

Economics 101

The developer is private? And recognised as one of the leaders operating in Aus?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by citywatcher » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:25 am

cmet wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
gnrc_louis wrote: Yeah - because only office workers in the private sector spend money Image
Economics 101

The developer is private? And recognised as one of the leaders operating in Aus?
Was waiting for this response
Of course it is. It always is. The point is who it is being built for. Only a massive uptake of the floor space from the private sector would provide for a project worthy of this site.

The Scooter Guy

#38 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Southern Cross looks very dated and run-down.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#39 Post by rev » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 pm

I think some of you are missing the point that he's trying to make.
If some of you think that this, more government office space, is a good thing for the economy, as opposed to the private sector taking up floor space, then you should do some research.
Pandemic aside, office space built for government is not a good sign.

I mean sure, we're getting a nice new shiny building to the relatively low skyline. But a sign of real confidence in the market and economy would be if that office space (Regardless of height) was being built for a private sector tenant.
But you all knew that right.

Anyway lets see if the design posted actually ends up getting built and isn't watered down.

Patrick_27

#40 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:33 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 pm
If some of you think that this, more government office space, is a good thing for the economy, as opposed to the private sector taking up floor space, then you should do some research.

I mean sure, we're getting a nice new shiny building to the relatively low skyline. But a sign of real confidence in the market and economy would be if that office space (Regardless of height) was being built for a private sector tenant.

Anyway lets see if the design posted actually ends up getting built and isn't watered down.
I agree with you, but I think what sets this aside from other government office building developments is that it's federal government departments taking up the space. I don't think our situation is ever going to change in terms of private sector being the main tenants for these sorts of developments, unless they're moving from elsewhere in the CBD (i.e. BHP into GPO). That's why I've raised the point in the past that a lot of private sector businesses are setting up on the fringe of the CBD along Greenhill and Fullarton Road(s) which I have always been of the opinion that those locations would be better suited to medium density apartments and that the government should be trying to encourage those businesses to call the CBD home, whether it be in one of the many office buildings theta are empty or in new buildings touted for the CBD.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Ben » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Don’t take Advertiser journalism as gospel. The tenant mix has not been confirmed yet, there are actually a lot of tenants in the market both public and private...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:18 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:33 pm
rev wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 pm

I agree with you, but I think what sets this aside from other government office building developments is that it's federal government departments taking up the space. I don't think our situation is ever going to change in terms of private sector being the main tenants for these sorts of developments, unless they're moving from elsewhere in the CBD (i.e. BHP into GPO). That's why I've raised the point in the past that a lot of private sector businesses are setting up on the fringe of the CBD along Greenhill and Fullarton Road(s) which I have always been of the opinion that those locations would be better suited to medium density apartments and that the government should be trying to encourage those businesses to call the CBD home, whether it be in one of the many office buildings theta are empty or in new buildings touted for the CBD.
I guess this is where the market goes in. If the cost and benefit ratio of having in the office in the city is higher than being on the fringe, then they will move. However, each business will make that assessment on their own.

Ho Really

#43 Post by Ho Really » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:24 am

Here's a mockup of the Southern Cross Arcade development I did from a screen grab of Aerometrix Adelaide Building Development Activity July 2020. The height is an approximation. I used the 69 metre Commonwealth Bank Building and the 63 metre Extrastaff House as a reference. Enjoy...

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

WGG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#44 Post by WGG » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:23 am

The Sands & McDougall building was nominated for a State Heritage listing, and was considered at yesterday's Heritage Council meeting. The panel accepted its nomination, and is now a provisional entry. This means the building carries the same status as a State Heritage listed place, for the next three months in which time an objection may be lodged.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by shiftaling » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:52 am

I wouldn't mind the Sands McDougall facade being retained, it's quite beautiful and an example of a style that isn't represented much in our streets