[COM] 52-66 King William Street | 65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] 52-66 King William Street | 65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#1 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:25 pm

This one has been in the pipeline for a very long time. It is smaller in height than I expected but this could be due to Covid.

This should dramatically change the precinct. I believe the design involves an office building on top of an upmarket shopping mall with brands Adelaide has not seen before.

This will be developed by Charter Hall.
52-66 King William Street, Adelaide
UNDER ASSESSMENT
Description
Demolition of all existing buildings and construct a 15-storey mixed-use retail and office building.
Application ID

Application number
020/A143/20
Attachments
SC.jpg

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#2 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:36 pm

Looking forward to seeing the designs on this one, hopefully it will be as classy as the brands that are promised for it. Also, it will be interesting to see if there are already office tenants in the mix this early in the development.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#3 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Huge opportunity. How this contributes to the streetscape & Mall environs will be far more important than height. This is probably the last large underdeveloped site left in the vincinity aside from Galleries arcade/Woolworths.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#4 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:16 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:36 pm
Looking forward to seeing the designs on this one, hopefully it will be as classy as the brands that are promised for it. Also, it will be interesting to see if there are already office tenants in the mix this early in the development.
Finally! This arcade is trash. However, like you, surprised by the height considering it's KWS, I'd have thought something taller and mixed use (even taking COVID into consideration). I don't think Adelaide needs to keep attempting these high-end/classy brand hubs, just provide the space and let the interest from the retail sector shape the offering, they've tried this with almost every arcade and it never works out long-term, those high-end brands eventually move out and leave the space available for your standard retailer to move in. I'd rather see them try and provide a large enough, versatile footprint to allow for brands like Zara and Uniqlo to open in Adelaide. Also, I had hoped that any development plans for this site would somehow include more direct access from Rundle Mall, perhaps by acquiring one of the more run-down buildings along that stretch of the mall, but apparently not...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#5 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:16 pm
Norman wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:36 pm
Finally! This arcade is trash. However, like you, surprised by the height considering it's KWS, I'd have thought something taller and mixed use (even taking COVID into consideration). I don't think Adelaide needs to keep attempting these high-end/classy brand hubs, just provide the space and let the interest from the retail sector shape the offering, they've tried this with almost every arcade and it never works out long-term, those high-end brands eventually move out and leave the space available for your standard retailer to move in. I'd rather see them try and provide a large enough, versatile footprint to allow for brands like Zara and Uniqlo to open in Adelaide. Also, I had hoped that any development plans for this site would somehow include more direct access from Rundle Mall, perhaps by acquiring one of the more run-down buildings along that stretch of the mall, but apparently not...
I don't think that direct Mall access is super important as it could be an opportunity to spruce up James Place. I would personally like to see, though, a clear passage between King William and James Place (linking through City Cross to Gawler Place) that's open, if not 24/7, most hours.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by cmet » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 pm

If brands like Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc come here that would be their first ever stores in Adelaide is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:34 pm

cmet wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 pm
If brands like Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc come here that would be their first ever stores in Adelaide is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure would be.

PeFe

#8 Post by PeFe » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:59 pm

15 storeys....so disappointing....was hoping for something around 40.....tall and sleek and slim.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:17 pm

There was an 18 storey hotel proposed for this site about 20 years ago
Was this the site were a 40 storey was proposed in the 70s?
In any case I'd like to see underground arcades incorporated into this linking up with the Mall and under Grenfell and King William Streets .

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:44 pm

Taller would be ideal, though I will be so happy to see Southern Cross go. It’s run down, an eyesore and a waste of prime CBD land. Pretty sure the last time I went in there, I saw pigeons on the tables.. yuck!

If this is going to be a similar standard as Westfield Sydney, then that will be a dramatic change to the current offering (cough Cheap as chips).

Perfect opportunity for the ACC to revamp James Place, which is looking a little tired.
Last edited by crawf on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 am

PeFe wrote:15 storeys....so disappointing....was hoping for something around 40.....tall and sleek and slim.
I'd rather a realistic 15 storey building that is built in the next 5 years rather than a 40 storey building that stays unbuilt. A 40 storey office tower in this environment, while we have buildings like Festival Tower to be built, is uneconomical.

Nort

#12 Post by Nort » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:33 am

Given the value of the site redevelopment was inevitable, but I for one will be sad to see Southern Cross Arcade go. Outside of Chinatown it's the best value food court in the city (and is always busy as a result)

noted
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by noted » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 am
PeFe wrote:15 storeys....so disappointing....was hoping for something around 40.....tall and sleek and slim.
I'd rather a realistic 15 storey building that is built in the next 5 years rather than a 40 storey building that stays unbuilt. A 40 storey office tower in this environment, while we have buildings like Festival Tower to be built, is uneconomical.
I wouldn't. Unless this in an amazing design, there are enough dumpy 50-60 metre buildings lining King William Street. Once it is there it won't be going anywhere, so if it takes decades for something better to be built then so be it.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 pm

noted wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:42 pm
Norman wrote:
I wouldn't. Unless this in an amazing design, there are enough dumpy 50-60 metre buildings lining King William Street. Once it is there it won't be going anywhere, so if it takes decades for something better to be built then so be it.
A well designed 50m building is better than a poor or average 100m building. Not all buildings need to be tall to add to the Adelaide cityscape.
Last edited by gnrc_louis on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claybro

#15 Post by claybro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:40 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 pm
noted wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:42 pm
Norman wrote:
A well designed 50m building is bester than a poor or average 100m building. Not all buildings need to be tall to add to the Adelaide cityscape.
However we can be almost guaranteed it will turn out both short and disappointing in appearance. This is such a prominent location in the absolute core of the CBD.