[COM] 52-66 King William Street | 65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
noted
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 52-66 King William Street | ~65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#76 Post by noted » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:41 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 pm

I'd like to think that this will force developers to give greater weight to protecting and incorporating local heritage items, but the success this time (versus the former State Bank building) probably has more to do with Art Deco having a dedicated fan base prepared to advocate.
Me too. State Bank may be a matter of opinion, but the one that even to this day I still get mad about is the Gerard and Goodman building being knocked over for Dwell! Could have been something amazing if it had been integrated with a half decent design.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by dbl96 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:28 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:43 pm
That food court is one of the worst in Adelaide, I'm really glad to see it go. Good riddance.
Its cheap though. Tell me, where else in Adelaide you can get a decent lunch for under 10 dollars? You would struggle to find that even in Chinatown now that the Western food court there has been gentrified.

Luxury shops like Gucci and Louis Vuitton might make Adelaide look more prestigious, but they are completely useless to the vast majority of people who can't afford to shop there.

Like other people have pointed out, this food court is extremely well patronised, because it offers such good value, in such a convenient place.

I'm not opposed to this site being developed, but we all need to think twice before cheering on the replacement of everything that looks a bit tacky with shiny new expensive places that give Adelaide face but fail to serve the vast majority of its people.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#78 Post by dbl96 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:52 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 pm
I think some of you are missing the point that he's trying to make.
If some of you think that this, more government office space, is a good thing for the economy, as opposed to the private sector taking up floor space, then you should do some research.
Pandemic aside, office space built for government is not a good sign.

I mean sure, we're getting a nice new shiny building to the relatively low skyline. But a sign of real confidence in the market and economy would be if that office space (Regardless of height) was being built for a private sector tenant.
But you all knew that right.

Anyway lets see if the design posted actually ends up getting built and isn't watered down.
It is good for the economy though. Yes, it isn't the same vote of confidence as if it was entirely funded by private investment, but it is still investment, which stimulates the construction sector and moves money through the economy.

Furthermore, by making this investment and moving its operations into this building, the government will vacate other office space in Adelaide. The oversupply of office space this creates puts downward pressure on commercial rent prices in the CBD, which encourages private investment in Adelaide.

The government isn't going to be leasing the whole building anyway.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:54 am

The Federal Parliamentary Standing Committee are scrutinizing Services Australia's move to this site, which as I understand it means this will be their preferred location. Therefore this one will almost 100% be going ahead you'd imagine.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 am

Could someone post this article too please: https://twitter.com/theTiser/status/1320908323458293760

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by Alyx » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:58 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 am
Could someone post this article too please: https://twitter.com/theTiser/status/1320908323458293760
The interesting parts:
The Advertiser wrote:One of Australia’s biggest property developers will incorporate a 1930s art deco facade in a proposed $470m development in the Adelaide CBD.

Charter Hall is working with the State Government to redesign a 15-storey office tower planned for the Southern Cross Arcade site on King William Street.

The company is redrawing plans it submitted to the Planning Commission for approval following a decision by Environment Minister David Speirs to support the state heritage listing of the facade of the former head office of stationery company, Sands & McDougall.

Charter Hall declined to comment but it is understood its design team is consulting the State Government Architect over the retention of the facade when the Southern Cross Arcade and Sands & McDougall building are demolished.

Charter Hall has a strong record of incorporating heritage features into its new buildings, with the GPO Office on Franklin Street and Raine Square development in Perth among two examples.

Its decision to proceed with the King William St project – which will include two floors of retail – follows a special council meeting of Adelaide City Council two weeks ago, which discussed supporting the heritage listing of the facade.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by SRW » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:59 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 am
Sands and McDougall art deco facade to be part of new $470m Charter Hall tower on King William St
Colin James, 27 October 2020, City Messenger

One of Australia’s biggest property developers will incorporate a 1930s art deco facade in a proposed $470m development in the Adelaide CBD.

Charter Hall is working with the State Government to redesign a 15-storey office tower planned for the Southern Cross Arcade site on King William Street.

The company is redrawing plans it submitted to the Planning Commission for approval following a decision by Environment Minister David Speirs to support the state heritage listing of the facade of the former head office of stationery company, Sands & McDougall.

The facade was erected at the height of the Great Depression in a bid by the company – founded in the early days of the colony – to restore public optimism in the state’s economic future.

Charter Hall declined to comment but it is understood its design team is consulting the State Government Architect over the retention of the facade when the Southern Cross Arcade and Sands & McDougall building are demolished.

Charter Hall has a strong record of incorporating heritage features into its new buildings, with the GPO Office on Franklin Street and Raine Square development in Perth among two examples.

Its decision to proceed with the King William St project – which will include two floors of retail – follows a special council meeting of Adelaide City Council two weeks ago, which discussed supporting the heritage listing of the facade.

The SA Heritage Council gave it provisional listing in July before embarking on public consultation, which closes late next month.

Mr Speirs sought input from Adelaide City Council before publicly announcing he would not be objecting to the listing, effectively ensuring it would be approved at the heritage council’s meeting in December.

“I understand developers were keen to demolish the building as part of a wider upgrade to the Southern Cross Arcade,” he said.

“The Marshall Liberal Government is extremely supportive of this project and will work closely with the developers to support a high-quality design outcome which incorporates the facade into the wider renewal of the precinct.”

Charter Hall’s decision to incorporate the facade comes as the Adelaide City Council publicly releases a draft heritage strategy for public consultation.

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor said the strategy had been developed to guide the council’s heritage management for the next 15 years.

“The City of Adelaide’s highly successful Heritage Incentives Scheme has assisted owners in the care and conservation of their heritage properties for over 30 years,” she said.

“We want to continue protecting, promoting and preserving our heritage.

“This strategy and action plan is designed to guide council in making decisions about heritage in the future.”
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:44 pm

The amended plans are expected to be approved Thursday. Looks like this now includes a 2 level supermarket. Perhaps the Woolworths relocation that had previously been rumored? Only other option would be an Aldi.

I think the new plans look good.

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... Arcade.pdf

cmet
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 52-66 King William Street | 65m | 15 Levels | Southern Cross Arcade

#84 Post by cmet » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:27 pm

Quality

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#85 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:44 pm
The amended plans are expected to be approved Thursday. Looks like this now includes a 2 level supermarket. Perhaps the Woolworths relocation that had previously been rumored? Only other option would be an Aldi.

I think the new plans look good.

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... Arcade.pdf

Based on the footprint, it certainly could be an Aldi, but I would say that it's Woolies and that they're going to develop their Mall site. Even with Coles closing at the Market's the site soon, it's too close to Rundle Place and they will likely get first dibs on any supermarket footprint in the new Central Market arcade. Will be awesome though, having a supermarket at either end of the mall and one smack bang in the middle, good spread.

Also, love the consideration into the inclusion of heritage, using it as the main entry for the office foyer is a nice touch.

MR_T
Gold-Member ;)

#86 Post by MR_T » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 am

Any idea on the builder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Shuz]

#87 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:48 am

Fantastic development, the supermarket is a welcome addition and really appreciate the way they have incorporated the heritage facade into the development. One of the better proposals we have seen recently. Proves height doesn't have to be everything, the quality counts. Looking forward to this going up. Services Australia (Centrelink/Medicare/etc. would be silly not to anchor this as major tenant compared to Festival Plaza.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by arki » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Funny how incorporating existing heritage into designs leads to more attractive developments. Notice how the podium now has art-deco flair to compliment the existing structure? As long as quality materials are used this will turn out to be a very smart looking building.

Meanwhile on Pirie Street, we have a much more imposing heritage facade being torn down for the most mediocre of buildings...

Algernon

#89 Post by Algernon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:18 am

Next building to go hopefully in that area is the building next door - is it still occupied by singapore airlines? What a building - the floor to height measurement looks to be half of the neighbouring buildings and i always thought it looked weird af. Peter Dinklage would hit his fuckin head in that place

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#90 Post by cmet » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:23 am

Algernon wrote:Next building to go hopefully in that area is the building next door - is it still occupied by singapore airlines? What a building - the floor to height measurement looks to be half of the neighbouring buildings and i always thought it looked weird af. Peter Dinklage would hit his fuckin head in that place
Singapore airlines haven’t occupied it for a longgg time