New $55m pool floated for bus depot.

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

New $55m pool floated for bus depot.

#1 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:05 pm

Behind a paywall.
New $55m pool floated for bus depot
FRANKLIN ST A multimillion-dollar swimming complex capable of hosting national or international events could be built on the site of a former bus depot in the city.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 7b4487a6e2
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

bits
Legendary Member!

Re: New $55m pool floated for bus depot.

#2 Post by bits » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Alternative aquatic centre site which will be in a report to council next week.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by ghs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:31 pm

FFS we already have 2 aquatic centres, why do we need a third in the middle of the city ???

bits
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by bits » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:09 am

The proposal is to replace the North Adelaide site which would be demolished.
What is the second site you are talking about?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am

It's a great location for when Adelaide holds the Commonwealth Games.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Mpol02 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 am

Great location. Let’s hope for a great design!

The Scooter Guy

#7 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 am

Mpol02 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 am
Great location. Let’s hope for a great design!
We also need various water slides, a lazy river and wave pool.
All the other states and territories have them and South Australians are jealous!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:37 am

Can someone with access to the article please post it so we can actually read what is proposed.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by AndyWelsh » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:20 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:Can someone with access to the article please post it so we can actually read what is proposed.
News
New Adelaide Aquatic Centre could be built on site of former Franklin St bus depot
A new Adelaide Aquatic Centre costing up to $55 million could be built on the site of the former Franklin St bus depot, in the city.
The option is part of a staff report which will be presented to Adelaide City Council elected members at a workshop next week.
It was suggested by councillors Franz Knoll and Greg Mackie after alternative sites were sought for the city’s main swimming complex.
The existing aquatic centre on the northern parklands is outdated and needs to be refurbished or replaced.
It was being targeted by the Adelaide Crows as a potential new club headquarters before the pandemic began earlier this year. Today, Adelaide Crows chairman John Olsen said a move to the North Adelaide site was still being considered.
The council has decided to investigate building a new aquatic centre, with Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor writing to Premier Steven Marshall in August seeking funding support.
The council also is seeking financial help from the Federal Government, with an estimated construction cost of between $45m to $55m plus $6m for demolition.
In the report to be presented on Tuesday, property and commercial director Tom McCreedy says the vacant Franklin St bus depot and the existing site at Denise Norton Park, North Adelaide, were the two potential locations.
“There is general consensus amongst council members that the existing facility is at the end of its useful life and the best option moving forward is to construct a new facility while continuing to operate the existing facility,” it says.
“There is general agreement that any new facility should be capable of one million plus visitations and potentially capable of expanding to host national and or international events.”
Mr McCreedy says the Franklin St site did not offer the free parking available at North
Adelaide and could be too small for a complex with a potential footprint of 6850sq m.
However, its proximity to the Central Market and other retail outlets could encourage local spending while there would be no physical impact on the parklands.
By contrast, Denise Norton Park could accommodate free parking while also providing the opportunity to relocate the aquatic centre closer to O’Connell St.
The Franklin St option was raised by Mr Knoll and Mr Mackie during consultation by staff about alternative sites to six locations proposed by consultants engaged last year.
Only six of the 11 elected members provided feedback.
Mr McCreedy said the existing aquatic centre was a “very large and inefficient facility”, with a “very small” gymnasium.
The minimum requirements for a new centre would include a 25m pool, large warm water pool, learn to swim facilities, leisure pools, spa, sauna and steam room, gymnasium, creche and cafe.
[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by AndyWelsh » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:20 pm

bits wrote:The proposal is to replace the North Adelaide site which would be demolished.
What is the second site you are talking about?
Probably the SA Aquatic Centre at Marion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:44 pm

The site is to small for a 50m pool, it looks to be maybe 45 to 50m wide, you would need 60m+ for a 50m pool, they could use the west bit of Bowen Street which means it could go E-W or N-S (the block would be probably 70m long at the longest N-S but only 20m wide there, using Bowen Street it could be 40m wide, so having a 50m pool N-S on the eastern side would work well) But I doubt this site would get a 50m pool, it's too small to add in everything else, it would be a max of 3000m2 in size.

Patrick_27

#12 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:11 pm

FFS, this site is pretty much useless for what they should be building. I suspect the interest in the site is simply to lure people to and drive the ACC's Central Market Arcade...

They should be looking to MSAC in Melbourne for ideas on how to pull everything together, as far as swimming centres go, MSAC is amazing.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:15 pm

I think if they're rebuilding in the city, it should be a competition-grade facility (50 m pool, diving etc). I like the idea of an aquatic sports centre, though I'd situate it west of Morphett St bridge next to the river so rowing can be integrated. To tie in with BioMed City precinct, it could have facilities for sports medicine and hydrotherapy too.
Keep Adelaide Weird