New City Arena

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New City Arena

#31 Post by Algernon » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:08 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:53 pm
Levesque wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:43 pm
However, what I now really don't support is a big open railyard not being covered by this new stadium. My main support originally was the subversion and hiding of the railyard in keeping with the pattern presently of convention centres etc.
I agree with this. On first glance, I didn't realise where this was being placed or how much space it would take up. It should be built over the railway to continue the ground plane from North Terrace to river front and allow space for other amenities (not least parklands).

I don't see how it's to be 'connected' to the Convention Centre when there's a gap of roughly 100 metres between them. Align it with Morphett Street.
Great in theory but it simply doesn't work unless the railways are sunk. Melbourne docklands has exactly the same problem. No amount of work to "integrate" it with the hoddle grid has worked because it will always be separated by the elevated walk ways over the railway.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#32 Post by rev » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:25 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:55 am
Ok so I'm confused. Everyone on here has been begging for a large multi purpose venue, and most have been demanding activation of this site adjacent to the railyards-so this apparently ticks both of those boxes. Many lament the ageing current Ent Centre as inadequate and dislocated on its site-so also solves that issue. The expenditure on Memorial Drive was a waste of money yes, but at least it provides a tennis venue until this new venue is built in about 3 years time, and will serve a different purpose anyway. Re the Bowden site and the lack of activity? That is a completely separate issue, and is more about the crap on offer in the current Bowden site, rather than the idea of the precinct itself. So why all the whining?-Just because its the libs? At least wait until the details are released and then pile on.
Right idea in theory, stupid location.

I haven't read all 3 pages, but Ill add something.
These idiots can find nearly three quarters of a billion for a stadium, but cant fund our ambulance service?
Not a single new ambulance brought online under this government. Ramping continues to be a problem.

Priorities. Do these morons have aby, and in the right order?

Lets look at it another way.
They shut down any chance of us hosting a Commonwealth Games any time soon.
So why the hell are they spending $700 million on a new stadium?

What's needed, and Ive said this countless times, is to consolidate as many court sports to a new arena at Memorial Drive.
You first need to bring the relevant parties to the table, ie Baskebtall, Netball, Tennis, SMA, Entertainment Centre management, and Convention Centre management.

An overall body that runs our stadiums and conventional centre/concert venues needs to be created, with a board independent of any venue tenants (eg sanfl).

In other words an overall strategy and plan.
But there is none, there never is in South Australia.

Thats why compared to other capitals, we've got a dogs breakfast here.

SBD

#33 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:19 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:46 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 pm
Further comment, it's an unnecessarily large venue for 15,000 capacity (hell, not even Rod Laver Arena is takes up that much square meterage).
Great point. We only need something roughly the size of Perth Arena, which is much more compact than this apparent behemoth.
Is it 15,000 "COVID-safe" seats, and would fit 30,000 seats if the spectators are allowed at the density of other pre-2020 stadia?

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by mattwinter » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:18 pm

Yeah I must admit I don't get this one... I've been hoping for some more investments in stadiums for a long time, but...

The pricetag is the first thing... $700m? Seriously? I mean it was a big deal when we were spending $500m on the Adelaide Oval... but basketball and court sports only have a tiny fraction of the interest of footy and cricket.

There's something sensible about trying to sell the entertainment centre site and use the money for something new in the city, but surely you don't need to go for something a little more budget. You'd think we were trying to attract an NBA franchise.

Then it seems weird that they've just been spending money on Memorial drive like others have said but couldn't seem to find the money to do it properly as originally planned. They were pumping up memorial drive as a concert venue the other week... how many concerts are they expecting SA to get?

Then there's the fact that soccer and rectangular sports have been crying out for investment for a long time and they come along with this instead.

Then they annouce it right in the middle of all the issues with ambulances and healthcare... did they really think this would go down well for them?

Labour party would be celebrating tonight, I call this a massive own goal. Wait till they come and propose a $200 million dollar indoor arena + a $200 million dollar boutique soccer ground and $300 million for new ambulances....

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by SRW » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:10 pm

I think it's safe bet that Marshall wanted to tick off the 'vision thing' going into the next election, decided that concert hall wasn't a vote winner, and went with something sportsy. The convention centre has been tacked on to make the economic case (vaguely) more compelling.

By the way, Labor's proposals for AdeLINK tram extensions to Norwood and North Adelaide were only around $500 million together. Probably more sellable now...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by Eurostar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:23 am

Looks like a bathtub :lol:

Adelaide Entertainment Centre looks so pretty at night with the colorful lights.

claybro

#37 Post by claybro » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:14 am

SRW wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:10 pm
I think it's safe bet that Marshall wanted to tick off the 'vision thing' going into the next election, decided that concert hall wasn't a vote winner, and went with something sportsy. The convention centre has been tacked on to make the economic case (vaguely) more compelling.

By the way, Labor's proposals for AdeLINK tram extensions to Norwood and North Adelaide were only around $500 million together. Probably more sellable now...
Except Adelaide people really don't embrace trams, were apoplectic about the first extension to North terrace, and don't want them in their suburbs. They barely accept electric train overheads. Give them a sport/entertainment venue any day.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by ml69 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:46 am

I don’t understand all the hate, especially on a development forum!

People on this forum have been crying out for years for a CBD-based multipurpose arena.

Now the government is seriously proposing one on the riverfront, and there’s a tidal wave of whingeing!

In really simple terms, this arena is effectively a massive expansion of the Adelaide Convention Centre (ACC). It is this convention component that makes it economically feasible. No convention component, and the arena DOESN’T GET BUILT!

Therefore, it has to be located next to the ACC. A good outcome in my opinion, as the riverfront land west of Morphett St bridge is completely wasted at the moment.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by citywatcher » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:27 am

claybro wrote:
SRW wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:10 pm

Except Adelaide people really don't embrace trams, were apoplectic about the first extension to North terrace, and don't want them in their suburbs. They barely accept electric train overheads. Give them a sport/entertainment venue any day.
Rubbish
The trams have been a huge success
15000 seater sports venues will not be

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by citywatcher » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:30 am

ml69 wrote:I don’t understand all the hate, especially on a development forum!

People on this forum have been crying out for years for a CBD-based multipurpose arena.

Now the government is seriously proposing one on the riverfront, and there’s a tidal wave of whingeing!

In really simple terms, this arena is effectively a massive expansion of the Adelaide Convention Centre (ACC). It is this convention component that makes it economically feasible. No convention component, and the arena DOESN’T GET BUILT!

Therefore, it has to be located next to the ACC. A good outcome in my opinion, as the riverfront land west of Morphett St bridge is completely wasted at the moment.
You should have stopped at your first paragraph

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 am

claybro wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:14 am
The "Adelaide people won't use or embrace the trams what a waste of money" was trotted out on TV by the Liberal opposition and heavily in print by the Advertiser for months and months while the network was first being upgraded.

A few months after it started operating again, the Advertiser was lambasting the government for not having the foresight to buy more trams with higher capacity, because they were being so heavily used that they were overflowing, and overloading the insufficient European AC units in summer. I can't be the only one who remembers that particular bit of Tiser whiplash.

The trams have been a big success, and the only public objections to the network expansion have been from the traders on O'Connell and the Parade, who think that on street parking is the only measure of patronage for their stores.

Algernon

#42 Post by Algernon » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:58 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 am
claybro wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:14 am
The "Adelaide people won't use or embrace the trams what a waste of money" was trotted out on TV by the Liberal opposition and heavily in print by the Advertiser for months and months while the network was first being upgraded.

A few months after it started operating again, the Advertiser was lambasting the government for not having the foresight to buy more trams with higher capacity, because they were being so heavily used that they were overflowing, and overloading the insufficient European AC units in summer. I can't be the only one who remembers that particular bit of Tiser whiplash.

The trams have been a big success, and the only public objections to the network expansion have been from the traders on O'Connell and the Parade, who think that on street parking is the only measure of patronage for their stores.
I remember the heart felt concern for the welfare of the trees on north terrace at the time. Truly touching.

[Shuz]

#43 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:24 am

If they were building this over the railyards, I could understand there being a $700m price tag. But they're not. There is no way this is justifiable. Like many others I agree with the sentiment yes it would be nice if we had a new mixed use sports arena but it has to be economically worthwhile to do so.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by Saltwater » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 am

The area the proposed stadium is being built on is currently a no-mans land, a wilderness in the city, and a massive waste of space. Its a real shame because Adelaide looks best along the river, but very few people get down there. Mainly just a few cyclists and runners. Making the most of the existing vacant space and bringing people down to the river is a no-brainer.

If they are building a stadium, what's been done overseas is to integrate a mall underneath it, such as the OCBC Arena in Singapore. Maybe some kind of factory outlet, or even a bit more upmarket to give some balance to Rundle Mall, so its not completely deserted when events aren't on. And even when events are on, basketball will only ever be a niche sport in Australia, but if it gets used for conventions that help make it financially viable, then I'm all for it. The existing convention centre can then be redeveloped, along with the West End Brewery site. Maybe extend the tram with a hard left out to Findon, which is currently developing very rapidly.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#45 Post by rev » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:49 am

ml69 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:46 am
I don’t understand all the hate, especially on a development forum!

Most people here I'd say are all for a new city arena, especially an indoor & multi-purpose arena..but what exactly are we going to get for $700 million? When Adelaide Oval's redevelopment (55,000~ capacity) cost less?

We have an ambulance service that's struggling, we have a fire brigade that's struggling (it hasn't been as well publicised as the ambos plight), we have an under-resourced CFS.

The full redevelopment of Memorial Drive arena, the concept renders posted in the other thread, was estimated to cost $250 million.
What are we getting for an extra $450 million with this new proposal that just seems to be for Premier Marshall's own legacy?

We don't need a $750 million minor arena, when the $250 million proposal would be more then sufficient.

That extra $450 million could be better spent on better equipping the CFS, the SA Ambulance Service (I see the MFS has won some extra funding and new resources last month), continuing to improve our hospitals. They could put some of that money into specialized care, like that specialized care unit for babies that was removed previously that now sees babies flown to Melbourne. I think only cost as few million to have here, but we can find $450 million extra to spend on a ridiculously unnecessary stadium build for our premier to have a legacy?

How about spending some of that $450 million on expanding the tram network?
How about all those bridges in South Australia that were in need of urgent repair?
How about the backlog of general road maintenance?
How about improving rural roads?
How about even just providing funding for our rural communities for things they need instead of the continual overall general neglect they see from their state government compared to their city counterparts?
How about providing funding for school sports programs so we don't end up with an obesity epidemic like America?
How about providing funding for an actual beautification program across the whole of Adelaide, so that there is not only consistency but our city actually improves visually and with more greenery around we can actually help lower the overall temperatures, and even energy use by home owners?
How about a bigger scheme for solar and battery storage for homes and businesses?
How about extending or increasing first home owner grants?
How about providing funding for new apprenticeship programs? We keep hearing how there's always a skills shortage, well why not fucking do something real about it?

Or how about just not wasting a full $450 million on Marshalls personal legacy, and instead offering South Australians some tax relief and even cutting fees instead of always raising them every 12 months?

This is a gigantic waste of money and resources when there are bigger priorities for South Australia.
This is all about the premier having a legacy. So he can say look, I spent $700 million building a new indoor arena with a roof that can be raised and lowered. Yay Steven.