News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2521 Post by NTRabbit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 pm

Eynesbury Senior College (yr 10, 11, 12) announced it is shutting it's doors in December 2021 due to lack of international students being sent their way by the co-located regular Eynesbury College (Australian uni prep school for international students).

Although the regular one says it is not closing, one wonders for how much longer, or whether they can afford to maintain their Franklin St location.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/educatio ... a23a94cbfc

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2522 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 pm
Eynesbury Senior College (yr 10, 11, 12) announced it is shutting it's doors in December 2021 due to lack of international students being sent their way by the co-located regular Eynesbury College (Australian uni prep school for international students).

Although the regular one says it is not closing, one wonders for how much longer, or whether they can afford to maintain their Franklin St location.

I think I heard that Eynesbury College in Franklin Street is closing, but the campus in Coglin Street will be continuing. Since the senior college is on the Franklin Street campus, that makes sense with the text of the article saying "Navitas can no longer provide us with a campus..."

Algernon

#2523 Post by Algernon » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:35 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm confused as to what part is closing. It sounds like it's the normal part with mix of aussies and internationals. But when I was there, it was only years 11/12, no year 10. Maybe this changed? If it's closing then that's sad - loved my experience there.

Ozbear73
Gold-Member ;)

#2524 Post by Ozbear73 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Can someone enlighten us all as to what this is all about that has just been announced?:
Attachments
2C84A57C-6019-4CB8-8ED8-0B0C6081894B.png

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2525 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Patrick_27

#2526 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Significant site works (piling and earthworks) have commenced at Hurtle&Co's stage five site obviously as stage four appears to be in the final phase of construction.

Patrick_27

#2527 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Sales signage is now up for the Hurtle&Co development in the south-eastern corner of the square titled 'Coda', this includes a render (see below). That said, I'm slightly confused; it seems as though the developers have only managed to buy a selection of the townhouses currently on this strip, the renders show two of the townhouses remaining plus the signage seems to show which houses are to make way for the building... Which from both the perspectives of the developer and property owner; why would you proceed without including the entire strip of townhouses at your disposal, and why wouldn't you sell knowing that you were going to face 15-months+ of noise and disruption to your property.
Attachments
IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0637.jpeg
IMG_0635.jpeg

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#2528 Post by shiftaling » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:06 pm

Not sure it's my place to start a new thread but I was wondering what people think of this - definitely deep into the "VIS" category! I am really keen to see a new concert hall and I love the talk about it being "more than just a concert hall."

https://indaily.com.au/inreview/design/ ... val-plaza/

I don't think I really like the exterior design of this to be quite honest, may be a little NIMBY of me but I have always liked the festival theatre roofs. This certainly makes a bold statement in relation to them! I'm sure Adelaide would probably grow to love it if it were built

Algernon

#2529 Post by Algernon » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:16 pm

shiftaling wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:06 pm
Not sure it's my place to start a new thread but I was wondering what people think of this - definitely deep into the "VIS" category! I am really keen to see a new concert hall and I love the talk about it being "more than just a concert hall."

I don't think I really like the exterior design of this to be quite honest, may be a little NIMBY of me but I have always liked the festival theatre roofs. This certainly makes a bold statement in relation to them! I'm sure Adelaide would probably grow to love it if it were built
Looks like a Bond villain hideout in the 70s

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#2530 Post by Benm16 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:59 pm

shiftaling wrote:

Damn what an eye sore. Looks extremely outdated (like something from the 70s') and disrupts the view of the riverbank. I am all for a concert hall but thank god this design is just a vision and will never happen. I feel like the Women's and children's hospital site in North Adelaide would be a better location for this as long as the tram was extended. Give people a reason to go to North Adelaide. The old le cornu site would have been better but that's not gonna happen anymore.

PeFe

#2531 Post by PeFe » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:38 pm

shiftaling wrote:

New concert hall thread....

https://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/ ... f=7&t=7103

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#2532 Post by shiftaling » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:27 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:38 pm
shiftaling wrote:

New concert hall thread....

https://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/ ... f=7&t=7103
Whoops! Sorry about that

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2533 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:12 pm

New development in Compton Street, not sure if it’s part of the property next door, google maps says this site is 17 Compton Street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#2534 Post by floplo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Too early for its own thread, but David Loyd and UniSA have clearly opened up negotiations about their City East campus / Brookman building, telling Uni Adelaide that it won't come cheap....
And he wants to close off Hindley street, which I actually think might be a good idea.

From the Advertiser:

UniSA’s Brookman building on North Terrace could be transformed into hotel
It’s been a centre of learning for 118 years, but the grand old Brookman building on North Tce could become a boutique hotel, its UniSA owners say.

The red-brick century-old Brookman building at the University of South Australia’s city east campus could be transformed into a hotel once the institution consolidates further down North Terrace, according to vice chancellor David Lloyd. Mr Lloyd said Covid had delayed plans for UniSA to leave its city east and Magill locations and consolidate at its City West and Mawson Lakes campuses by around three years but said it would be implemented once international students returned and the financial situation improved.
The vice-chancellor described the Brookman building, which was opened in 1903 as the home for the South Australian School of Mines and Industries, was a “gorgeous place’’ but “probably not a contemporary education space’'. “The Brookman building, if you think about it, is probably the ideal front for a boutique hotel,’’ Mr Lloyd said.

But he said there were other alternatives and it was possible the adjacent Adelaide University and Lot Fourteen project could be interested in using the Brookman as well.
“There’s many alternative uses, but it’s zoned for education right now,’’ he said. “From an expansion of University of Adelaide standpoint, it’s a ready made campus. from a lot 14 standpoint, it’s ready-made accommodations.’’

Mr Lloyd said international students made up 24 per cent of UniSA’s population.
International education contributed $2 billion to the state’s economy before Covid and Mr Lloyd said he was confident they would return once borders reopened.
“All of the barometers about international education on a global level says that people want to access quality English speaking, education, and they like Australia and this is the Australia’s most liveable city,’’ he said. Mr Lloyd said there would be 5000 more students at UniSA’s west campus following consolidation.
More buildings will be built but he also said he would be in favour of closing Hindley St West to through traffic to encourage a “different dynamic’’.
“You end up with a university precinct, where by dint of volume of people, you do start to decrease the traffic flow,’’ he said.
“There’s plenty of ways to get across town without going down Hindley St.’’

Simon Kuestenmacher, co-founder of The Demographics Group, says before the pandemic around 4.4 per cent of employees worked from home.
At the height of the pandemic this increased to as much as 50 per cent. “It turns out that many people like it,’’ he said.
“So therefore, it is hard once you granted a privilege, if you will, to a population, it’s hard to take that back.’’
Telstra had around 1000 employees in the CBD and while it has no plans to reduce office space, working habits have radically changed.
Telstra’s SA regional general manager Mark Bolton said employees nationally were working from home, on average 3.7 days a week, up from 1.7 days pre-pandemic.

Working from home is not helping anymore. Now it’s just lazy Shirking from home? Not likely, but it is giving us some time back Shops are dying – so how can we save our city’s heart?
“Where someone lives should no longer be a limitation to the work they undertake,” Bolton said.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2535 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 am

The government are considering rezoning the riverbank precinct to allow for more hospitality venues in and around pinky flat and other areas. The comments are overwhelmingly negative at the moment. I encourage anyone interested to view the documents and complete the survey.

https://yoursay.sa.gov.au/riverbankprecinct