News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1876 Post by Nathan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:22 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Thank God. That whole paver debacle is a complete joke. Terrible decision to spend so much money on these dangerous pavers, and they were destined to be ripped up eventually anyway. The traders are kidding themselves if they think a 10km limit is an appropriate solution.
Disagree. Hindley St West should be a predominantly shared space, not a through road for traffic. With UniSA's expansion over to the south side of the road, it's effectively becoming an access road, and amenity and safety should be the priority over traffic speed.

ChillyPhilly

#1877 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Nathan wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Thank God. That whole paver debacle is a complete joke. Terrible decision to spend so much money on these dangerous pavers, and they were destined to be ripped up eventually anyway. The traders are kidding themselves if they think a 10km limit is an appropriate solution.
Disagree. Hindley St West should be a predominantly shared space, not a through road for traffic. With UniSA's expansion over to the south side of the road, it's effectively becoming an access road, and amenity and safety should be the priority over traffic speed.
Thank you for the time-relevant comment and general common sense on this topic.

In other news that's equally as frustrating, the Bank Street furniture is to be removed.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1878 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:08 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Thank you for the time-relevant comment and general common sense on this topic.

In other news that's equally as frustrating, the Bank Street furniture is to be removed.
I haven't had a chance to read the full Sadday Mail article, but I believe it will be replaced with something else. The parklets have been a fail anyway, they were always full of rubbish and started to smell like piss. They will serve another part of the city better.

Patrick_27

#1879 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:24 am

Nathan wrote:
Dare I say it, but I imagine that there are already plans somewhere for enclosed footbridges over Hindley Street and North Terrace when the city west campus expands further.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#1880 Post by obituary resider » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:26 am

Regarding Hindley Street: the paving (though obviously unsafe when wet) did a great job on improving the aesthetics of the street so this is such a shame. It is even more frustrating when you consider that the average speed around here is probably close to 25km/h anyway. Its an extremely short sighted decision and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it change back to paving within 3 or 4 years.

Regarding Bank Street, the parklets will be replaced with a full 'complete street' upgrade. Depending on available funds it will be similar to Leigh Street, but different (cheaper) detailing, materials etc.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#1881 Post by obituary resider » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:29 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Dare I say it, but I imagine that there are already plans somewhere for enclosed footbridges over Hindley Street and North Terrace when the city west campus expands further.
Footbridges etc. are not the direction that ACC should, and as far as I know will, be moving in... especially for a narrow street like Hindley. Its all about shared space designs etc. Streets should be for 'everyone' and installing footbridges is kind of going in the opposite direction to that.

Patrick_27

#1882 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:38 am

obituary resider wrote:Regarding Hindley Street: the paving (though obviously unsafe when wet) did a great job on improving the aesthetics of the street so this is such a shame. It is even more frustrating when you consider that the average speed around here is probably close to 25km/h anyway. Its an extremely short sighted decision and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it change back to paving within 3 or 4 years.
With the council committing to reusing the pavers, I'd like to see them repave the southern end of Victoria Square with what they salvage. After all, they have no intention of funding further Victoria Square upgrades and the bitumen they laid last year (I believe) looks awful.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#1883 Post by obituary resider » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
obituary resider wrote:Regarding Hindley Street: the paving (though obviously unsafe when wet) did a great job on improving the aesthetics of the street so this is such a shame. It is even more frustrating when you consider that the average speed around here is probably close to 25km/h anyway. Its an extremely short sighted decision and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it change back to paving within 3 or 4 years.
With the council committing to reusing the pavers, I'd like to see them repave the southern end of Victoria Square with what they salvage. After all, they have no intention of funding further Victoria Square upgrades and the bitumen they laid last year (I believe) looks awful.
Could be a nice idea, but my god, can you imagine the field day the advertiser would have with that! Makes me wonder how much having just the one big (and sensationalist) paper stagnates things in Adelaide

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1884 Post by Wayno » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 pm

I thought we had a thread for new development work at the South Terrace St Andrews hospital? I can't find it.

Anywho, all trees in the car park are being felled today, presumably as preparatory work...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1885 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 am

Wayno wrote:I thought we had a thread for new development work at the South Terrace St Andrews hospital? I can't find it.

Anywho, all trees in the car park are being felled today, presumably as preparatory work...
More site work today. Ripping up the car park asphalt, and levelling. Sorry, no photo, jogged past at pace...
St Andrews hospital car park
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1886 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:31 am

Found these office vacancy rates today. To be honest, it's not as bad as I thought it would be for Adelaide.
Attachments
poroperty-office1.jpg
poroperty-office1.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 2791 times

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#1887 Post by thecityguy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:11 am

I agree, not bad at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#1888 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:31 am

I'm also surprised the rate's increased. To me it feels like things are filling up but maybe not.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#1889 Post by phenom » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:57 am

The overall figure reflects a mixture of outcomes across different building quality stock.

D-Grade stock has reached an all time high whereas premium building stock vacancies are much, much lower.

This media release (can't access the full data, they want money) has at least the key explanations for what is going on in the Adelaide market.

http://www.propertycouncil.com.au/Web/N ... unity.aspx

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1890 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:54 pm

The city needs more variety in entertainment, looking forward to seeing the plans :)
The signs a Hindley St cinema is back on track
March 10, 2016 2:31pm
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7590988409

The Greater Union cinema on Hindley St has been closed since 2008.

IT’S almost lights, camera, action for the old Edge Church site on Hindley St as Greater Union Cinemas eyes its return to the popular strip.

The theatre closed its doors in 2008, leaving the Palace Nova Eastend as the city’s only major film venue.

This week the Greater Union group lodged its application for a Special Circumstance Licence with extended trading authorisation, making the return of the cinema to the CBD one step closer.

It has been rumoured that a tenpin bowling centre is to be part of a redeveloped complex.

This follows the announcement in July last year that Edge Church, which had wanted to remain in Hindley St and offered to buy the building, was seeking to move its congregation to Glenunga International High School.

The multi-screen complex will be home to at least six screens and city leaders have previously hailed the move as a “vote of confidence” in the future of Hindley St.