News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1936 Post by Ben » Thu May 19, 2016 10:29 am

Don't forget the new "HQ" will be opening directly across the road from this site. Why would I or anyone else chose to come to this site rather than say the palace for example. It may work I'm just saying when there are other alternatives I don't see a reason for choosing this one. They will need to make a point of difference in their offering.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1937 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:18 am

SRW wrote:I think a cinema would be better situated in the Mall
I've always said the top two floors of the Myer Centre should be repurposed for this OR where Kmart now are in the Renaissance building.

But if they were to purpose build a facility in the mall, where City Cross could be an option.

Patrick_27

#1938 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 am

crawf wrote:I've noticed lately Arcade Lane which runs between Adelaide and Regent Arcades is currently getting a major facelift. Is this a sign the Regent Cinema is about to reopen?

A reminder >>> http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6509848442
EIGHT years after the final credits rolled on cinema in Rundle Mall, movie theatres are set to return to Regent Arcade.

The arcade's owner has lodged plans to revamp and reopen the 85-year-old theatre on the back of State Government and Adelaide City Council moves to revitalise the CBD.

The Ginos Group has proposed splitting two existing cinemas, which currently resemble bare shells, into four state-of-the-art gold-class theatres with a new candy bar.

Each intimate theatre will seat between 40 and 50 patrons and screen the latest Hollywood blockbusters.

Patrons will gain access to the theatre from a repaved and upgraded Arcade Lane, which will feature a new balcony, canopy, landscaping, plus lifts and stairs to take patrons to the first-floor cinemas.
Also.. Greater Union is set to return back to Hindley Street soon, possibly including a bowling alley.

Whoops, I didn't see this posting (and was just about to make a comment about the Arcade Lane getting a facelift too)!

The Advertiser really need to do their research, the 85 year old theatre and the cinemas were two different things. The theatre which was what the arcade was build around is on the Rundle Mall end, whilst the cinemas were in a semi-detached building almost halfway down the arcade. Whilst I would LOVE to see the theatre (which is where Mimso? are kind operating out of now) revitalised an leased back to say the ASO for their concert hall, it won't happen. Reopening these cinemas is a great idea, but with the only access being from Arcade lane, it's hardly going to flourish. When they were originally open, they have access to Arcade Lane from both Rundle Mall and Grenfell Street, and access from the arcade itself, two of these access points are now gone. Good luck to them but I can't see it working, especially if it's not offering patrons anything different.

Patrick_27

#1939 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:32 am

Sorry to hijack this thread but I just wanted to make a point about the cinemas on Hindley Street, never mind the lack of parking or the overall vibe of the streets, the other tenants within this precinct will be enough to turn people away period. A shisha lounge pumping out vapour, a dodgy convenience store and a el-cheapo Pizza place are hardly a selling point to people coming off the street. Surely Greater Union would have thought of this before moving forward with this development? Or do they expect people to turn a blind eye to the dodgy-ness like they do with Arndale...

Waewick

#1940 Post by Waewick » Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread but I just wanted to make a point about the cinemas on Hindley Street, never mind the lack of parking or the overall vibe of the streets, the other tenants within this precinct will be enough to turn people away period. A shisha lounge pumping out vapour, a dodgy convenience store and a el-cheapo Pizza place are hardly a selling point to people coming off the street. Surely Greater Union would have thought of this before moving forward with this development? Or do they expect people to turn a blind eye to the dodgy-ness like they do with Arndale...
I don't use Shisha - but that street enviroment it presents is fantastic - I only walked down there late the other night.

have you actually been there recently? it really isn't that bad.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1941 Post by Norman » Fri May 20, 2016 10:30 am

The shisha places are fantastic, without them the street would be dead Sunday to Thursday. And they're not just Arabs, they are mostly students from all over.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#1942 Post by mshagg » Fri May 20, 2016 11:00 am

People who smoke shisha don't go to the movies?

And lack of parking? There's literally one attached to the rear of this complex? You wouldn't even have to walk past the filthy peasants with their nightclubs, shisha bars and convenience stores.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1943 Post by Eurostar » Sat May 21, 2016 8:39 am

I have a feeling that the cinema in Hindley Street will be similar to their new cinema at Glenelg with fully licensed bar and restaurant.

Patrick_27

#1944 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Hoarding's starting to come off of the ground floor renovation of 1 King William Street. I don't really mind this one as far as cheap and cheerful makeovers go - something a bit different for what was a rather average looking building in the first place. Will be interesting to see what provisions for retail/cafe space have been incorporated into the design as up until now ground-floor usage has always been rather anonymous for such a high-profile corner site.

Finally got a chance to go past this today, the ground level is now my favourite part of this building. Such an improvement on what was there before. However, this doesn't change the ugly white slash like effect at the top of the building, it's absolutely awful.

Llessur2002

#1945 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Finally got a chance to go past this today, the ground level is now my favourite part of this building. Such an improvement on what was there before. However, this doesn't change the ugly white slash like effect at the top of the building, it's absolutely awful.
It's come on pretty well so far - agree the white slash thingy isn't great at the moment but presumably when there's a big ol' company logo splashed over it it won't look quite so imposing.

The ground level looks really good so far - the Westpac branch is actually pretty nice for what is essentially an ATM vestibule. Looking forward to seeing what else pops up there as the rest of the KWS facade is developed. I'm pretty sure I saw a sign inside the building lobby saying that a bar and cafe were coming soon - I wonder if this is the plan for the mezzanine level which also seems to have been redeveloped. Would be quite a good view for a first floor bar.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#1946 Post by noted » Tue May 24, 2016 11:01 am

Does anybody know anything about this? Just popped up on my fb feed- doesn't seem right...

https://twitter.com/adelaidemp/status/7 ... 6998900740

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1947 Post by Norman » Tue May 24, 2016 11:06 am

Is that the hotel at the corner of Morphett Street and Wright Street? There is a sign in the window that says the hotel is being refurbished because of Bohem... But nothing about it being demolished. Maybe someone got confused or didn't read it properly?

noted
High Rise Poster!

#1948 Post by noted » Tue May 24, 2016 11:13 am

I think the Wright Street Hotel is a little further east of Morphett Street. The one on the corner I believe is the Whitmore Hotel.

Llessur2002

#1949 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:16 am

Yeah, it's definitely the Hotel Wright Street in the picture but haven't heard anything about it closing. It was only refurbished a few years ago...

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#1950 Post by phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 11:37 am

noted wrote:Does anybody know anything about this? Just popped up on my fb feed- doesn't seem right...

https://twitter.com/adelaidemp/status/7 ... 6998900740
Rachel must have heard whispers from a pre-submission development proposal.

Gotta love it when your local Liberal member happily plays along with the anti-development crowd for a few votes.
Last edited by phenom on Tue May 24, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.