News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2116 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:45 pm

CASA limit at Realm was 186m, yeah? It's possible the conical slope of the radars would permit 230m at the 123m Flinders site, as 300m is permitted on corner of South & Pulteney.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Algernon

#2117 Post by Algernon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:14 pm

[Shuz] wrote:CASA limit at Realm was 186m, yeah? It's possible the conical slope of the radars would permit 230m at the 123m Flinders site, as 300m is permitted on corner of South & Pulteney.
Honestly does anybody inside or outside of the aerospace industries even have a consistent view or understanding of how this all works? I find it amazing that Essendon airport on the other side of Melbourne keeps everything to around 300m in their CBD, and yet in Adelaide apparently you can just walk a few blocks and get a 300m height limit for the airport which is pissing distance.
Last edited by Algernon on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#2118 Post by Spurdo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm fairly sure that the plans for 260 Flinders indicated that the PANS-OPS ceiling for the area around Flinders Street to Rymill Park was around 250 metres.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#2119 Post by slenderman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Not certain, but I'm pretty sure it goes like this:

- You can build higher than Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS) if approval is given. There's a map which shows OLS in the CBD that's available publically on the internet.

- You can only temporarily break the PANS-OPS limits (in the case of construction cranes that are higher than the building will be), but a permanent structure can't break these limits unless they appeal to have the limits raised for the area above the building. PANS-OPS isn't available for Adelaide except for little tidbits like that in the Realm Adelaide report. Not entirely sure why it isn't available, nor do I know where this 300m figure for South Tce/Pulteney Street came from.

Don't know why Essendon airport (seemingly) affects Melbourne more than Adelaide. Someone with more knowledge in this field can probably give a better answer.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#2120 Post by slenderman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:13 pm

Spurdo wrote:I'm fairly sure that the plans for 260 Flinders indicated that the PANS-OPS ceiling for the area around Flinders Street to Rymill Park was around 250 metres.
If that's the case, and that 250m figure is in AHD, then surely PANS-OPS for the 123 Flinders Street site wouldn't allow for anything much bigger than 200m above ground level on that site.

[Shuz]

#2121 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:59 pm

300m came from the CASA height map of Adelaide thats pubicly available.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2122 Post by monotonehell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:50 am

Back in 2008, members of this forum did an investigation into PANS-OPS and its ilk and produced this submission which we've sent to a few places and public consultations...

http://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/v ... 130#p59130

You can read how the height restrictions work in there.

(tl;dr: Not all regulations are a set surface you can view on a map. A developer has to ask for a height datum to be researched and they then get a response.)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#2123 Post by slenderman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

monotonehell wrote:Back in 2008, members of this forum did an investigation into PANS-OPS and its ilk and produced this submission which we've sent to a few places and public consultations...

http://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/v ... 130#p59130

You can read how the height restrictions work in there.

(tl;dr: Not all regulations are a set surface you can view on a map. A developer has to ask for a height datum to be researched and they then get a response.)
Bleurgh, I'm getting confused.

I've done a bit of digging, trying to find a PANS-OPS value for the 123 Flinders Street site, looking at nearby sites across the city and their PANS-OPS values. That led me to the 84m proposal at 124 Wakefield Street, where I found this document containing a PANS-OPS map for the Adelaide CBD (see Figure 4, Page 05).

http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... d_St_2.pdf

It accurately puts One Adelaide's PANS-OPS surface at just over 250m and Realm Adelaide's PANS-OPS surface at 210m. However, it appears to conflict with the 300m figure Shuz gave, which lies between the 240m contour and another contour of a height I can't find.

123 Flinders lies between the 240 and 250m contours, so I believe that means that the tallest building allowed on that site would be around or perhaps a little bit under 200m above ground. I can't seem to find any location in the CBD that would allow for a building of 230m above ground.

I flipped through that thread and the pdf submission at your link, but didn't find much more detail on what you've said that I bolded (sorry if it's just me being lazy), so I'm getting confused. Is this map consistent with what you're saying?

Nort

#2124 Post by Nort » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Algernon wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:CASA limit at Realm was 186m, yeah? It's possible the conical slope of the radars would permit 230m at the 123m Flinders site, as 300m is permitted on corner of South & Pulteney.
Honestly does anybody inside or outside of the aerospace industries even have a consistent view or understanding of how this all works? I find it amazing that Essendon airport on the other side of Melbourne keeps everything to around 300m in their CBD, and yet in Adelaide apparently you can just walk a few blocks and get a 300m height limit for the airport which is pissing distance.
I would suggest it's due to the Adelaide hills.

In flatter areas, you want to have more flexibility to give aircraft different inbound and outbound routes in cases of emergency. Due to the Adelaide Hills however there are already obstacles to consider and you can more safely allow a taller structure since that path can't be used.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2125 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:22 pm

slenderman wrote:
monotonehell wrote:(tl;dr: Not all regulations are a set surface you can view on a map. A developer has to ask for a height datum to be researched and they then get a response.)
I flipped through that thread and the pdf submission at your link, but didn't find much more detail on what you've said that I bolded (sorry if it's just me being lazy), so I'm getting confused. Is this map consistent with what you're saying?
There's no such thing as a prepared map with a surface on it that describes what the PANS-OPS height will be for anywhere.

The developer has to submit a design, then the powers that be do their complex calculations, work out what the implications on radar and other navigation systems would be, make chicken and goat sacrifices, eyeball models with their tongues stuck out of the corners of their mouths at appropriate angles, etc, etc and after much work they come up with a yes or no result for that one design.

We think (the information was not exactly free flowing at the time) that calculating PANS-OPS heights has to do with a complex amount of interactions of all the differing factors. It's not just an altitude that planes can fly over (That's OLS?)

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#2126 Post by slenderman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:26 pm

monotonehell wrote:
slenderman wrote:
monotonehell wrote:(tl;dr: Not all regulations are a set surface you can view on a map. A developer has to ask for a height datum to be researched and they then get a response.)
There's no such thing as a prepared map with a surface on it that describes what the PANS-OPS height will be for anywhere.

The developer has to submit a design, then the powers that be do their complex calculations, work out what the implications on radar and other navigation systems would be, make chicken and goat sacrifices, eyeball models with their tongues stuck out of the corners of their mouths at appropriate angles, etc, etc and after much work they come up with a yes or no result for that one design.

We think (the information was not exactly free flowing at the time) that calculating PANS-OPS heights has to do with a complex amount of interactions of all the differing factors. It's not just an altitude that planes can fly over (That's OLS?)
I think I get what you're saying, but I'm still a bit confused.

Here's the PANS-OPS map from that link I supplied (I suggest downloading that PDF if you want to see the picture/numbers more clearly):
PANS-OPS.PNG
PANS-OPS.PNG (379.39 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Is this map something that whoever created the document has conjured up from nowhere themselves (doubtful, as it checks out with other PANS-OPS values that we know from other developments), or is it something that the powers that be have created which acts as more of an "in the ballpark" guideline, but when a particular development is submitted that is above OLS, they still crunch their complex numbers to give an exact allowable PANS-OPS height for that development and then accordingly give the design a yes/no?

[Shuz]

#2127 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05 am

That's the first time I've seen a detailed PANSOPS map for Adelaide. One thing I've deduced, is that its not possible for the building to be 230m tall at the 123 Flinders location. The PANSOPS is 240m, and Adelaide CBD is roughly 40m above sea level, so at best, that site could accommodate a 200m / 50 level tower.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2128 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:36 am

Confusion is understandable. There seems to be a lot of contradicting evidence, and a near stonewall from the authorities who do the approving. This is why we made the investigation and submission back in 2008.

That diagram looks more like the OLS map for Adelaide Airport. Although there's some extra frilly bits I've not seen before. It could be a creation from other data by the developer because they "needed something in the document".

The only time we've seen a diagram of the PANS-OPS surface is where it's, again, been required by some bureaucracy and the designers of the document have created one. Even though the regulations require such a map to be made available to the public.

After extensive requests by Wayno back in 2008 we came to the conclusion that no such map was available, other than the rough one in Adelaide Airport's development plan. (Which is reproduced in the S-A submission.)

The weird thing is that the regulations also state that penetrating the PANS-OPS ceiling is prohibited, and yet we have several applications which do so and have been approved.

FYI OLS v PANS-OPS:
International standards have been adopted which define two sets of invisible surfaces above the ground around an airport. The airspace above these surfaces forms the airport's protected airspace. These two surfaces are the:

Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS); and
Procedures for Air Navigational Services—Aircraft Operations (PANS-OPS) surface

The OLS is generally the lowest surface and is designed to provide protection for aircraft flying into or out of the airport when the pilot is flying by sight. The PANS-OPS surface is generally above the OLS and is designed to safeguard an aircraft from collision with obstacles when the aircraft's flight may be guided solely by instruments, in conditions of poor visibility.
https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/ ... eased.aspx

ChillyPhilly

#2129 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:58 pm

slenderman wrote:Not certain, but I'm pretty sure it goes like this:

- You can build higher than Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS) if approval is given. There's a map which shows OLS in the CBD that's available publically on the internet.

- You can only temporarily break the PANS-OPS limits (in the case of construction cranes that are higher than the building will be), but a permanent structure can't break these limits unless they appeal to have the limits raised for the area above the building. PANS-OPS isn't available for Adelaide except for little tidbits like that in the Realm Adelaide report. Not entirely sure why it isn't available, nor do I know where this 300m figure for South Tce/Pulteney Street came from.

Don't know why Essendon airport (seemingly) affects Melbourne more than Adelaide. Someone with more knowledge in this field can probably give a better answer.
I just did a bit of digging and found this for Essendon Airport. It explains it perfectly, with PANS-OPS heights illustrated and explained as well. Perfect:

https://urban.melbourne/policy/2013/11/ ... -explained

In addition, visit these links:

http://www.essendonairport.com.au/plann ... protection
http://www.essendonairport.com.au/uploa ... ooklet.pdf
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2130 Post by Ben » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 pm