[CAN] 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #Approved: 123m 31 Level Office Tower 20 - 22 Currie St

#526 Post by Wayno » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Applications for consideration on Merit.
6. ITEM NO. 3.1 - 20-22 CURRIE STREET, 27-37 GILBERT PLACE, 22-28
PEEL STREET, ADELAIDE SA 5000, PLAN NO. DA/876/2007 [DA]
(F/DA/0876/2007, RR)
Mr D K Dyson, representor, addressed the Panel in relation to the application and
also responded to a question from a Panel Member.
Mr J Stimson, Connor Holmes on behalf of the applicant – Lilly Nominees Pty Ltd,
addressed the Panel in relation to the application and also responded to questions
from Panel Members.
Discussion ensued.
It was then -
Moved by Councillor WILKINSON,
Seconded by Councillor HENNINGSEN -
That the development, the subject of the application from Lilly Nominees P/L to
demolish the existing buildings and construct 31 level office tower with on site
carparking, gym, pool, creche and restaurant on top floor at 20-22 Currie Street, 27-
37 Gilbert Place, 22-28 Peel Street, Adelaide SA 5000 as shown on plans designated
City of Adelaide Development Assessment Panel Meeting - Minutes - 21 January 2008
DA/876/2007 be DEFERRED to enable the applicant to incorporate the retention of
the existing streetscape frontages in Gilbert Place and Peel Street
Discussion continued.
The motion was then put and carried.
Here's an extract from the ACC's Jan 21 DAP minutes. The approval(?) decision was deferred "to enable the applicant to incorporate the retention of existing streetscape..."

Does this mean retention of the existing buildings is mandatory?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

The Proboscis Monkey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[CAN] Re: #Approved: 20-22 Currie St - 123m, 31 lvls

#527 Post by The Proboscis Monkey » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 pm

City Messenger report on DAP deferral:
http://www.citymessenger.com.au/article ... _news.html

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: #Approved: 123m 31 Level Office Tower 20 - 22 Currie St

#528 Post by Edgar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 am

Wayno wrote:
Applications for consideration on Merit.
6. ITEM NO. 3.1 - 20-22 CURRIE STREET, 27-37 GILBERT PLACE, 22-28
PEEL STREET, ADELAIDE SA 5000, PLAN NO. DA/876/2007 [DA]
(F/DA/0876/2007, RR)
Mr D K Dyson, representor, addressed the Panel in relation to the application and
also responded to a question from a Panel Member.
Mr J Stimson, Connor Holmes on behalf of the applicant – Lilly Nominees Pty Ltd,
addressed the Panel in relation to the application and also responded to questions
from Panel Members.
Discussion ensued.
It was then -
Moved by Councillor WILKINSON,
Seconded by Councillor HENNINGSEN -
That the development, the subject of the application from Lilly Nominees P/L to
demolish the existing buildings and construct 31 level office tower with on site
carparking, gym, pool, creche and restaurant on top floor at 20-22 Currie Street, 27-
37 Gilbert Place, 22-28 Peel Street, Adelaide SA 5000 as shown on plans designated
City of Adelaide Development Assessment Panel Meeting - Minutes - 21 January 2008
DA/876/2007 be DEFERRED to enable the applicant to incorporate the retention of
the existing streetscape frontages in Gilbert Place and Peel Street
Discussion continued.
The motion was then put and carried.
Here's an extract from the ACC's Jan 21 DAP minutes. The approval(?) decision was deferred "to enable the applicant to incorporate the retention of existing streetscape..."

Does this mean retention of the existing buildings is mandatory?
Sounds like they make it mandatory, but it could be deferred based on the fact that they want a new proposal of what it would be like if they were to retain the existing buildings. my :2cents:
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#529 Post by Shuz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Having inspected the site today, I see absolutely NO reason whatsoever as to why they want to retain any of the 'heritage' properties. They are shamefully distasteful, dilapidated and contribute to making the streetscape look ugly. I think the current proposal would enhance the area much moreso than the way these buildings currently do.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#530 Post by Hippodamus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Shuz you obviously have no creativeness by the sounds of things.

It's amazing what a small thing like a paint job can do sometimes to a building. older buildings renovated can be far more attractive and appealing than modern glass facades. i can't be even bothered getting into this with narrow minded people like you, so please refer to my last submission on the last page.

get a life :roll:

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#531 Post by frank1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 pm

Incorporate the two structures, like they did with the myer center on north terrace (love that facade). It satisfies both of you.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#532 Post by Pikey » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:03 am

Hippodamus wrote:Shuz you obviously have no creativeness by the sounds of things.

It's amazing what a small thing like a paint job can do sometimes to a building. older buildings renovated can be far more attractive and appealing than modern glass facades. i can't be even bothered getting into this with narrow minded people like you, so please refer to my last submission on the last page.

get a life :roll:

Contender for over-reaction of the year.

He gave an opinion - no need to bust a valve.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#533 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 am

LOL. Definite over-reaction methinks. Photo taken by me.

Does this look worthy of preservation to anyone? Can someone please highlight to me what is so 'heritageable' about these properties to make them worthwhile of keeping?

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#534 Post by Brando » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:17 pm

^^^^Does anyone know if these buildings are occupied or not?
My initial reaction was of disappointment with the DAP, but now thinking about it, something really really great with an 'European' feel about it could be done with this laneway. We are always talking about revitalising our laneways. Maybe, as mentioned with a bit of imagination this laneway could become a vibrant area and yet still have this awesome tower above us. It's not all that bad, but ahving said that will this laneway be kept as a open for traffic forthe new building?
Would be great to see widening of the footpath, new shop fronts at ground level with older looking, more intimate restaurants, outside dining etc. Much potential :2cents:

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#535 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 pm

Shuz wrote:Does this look worthy of preservation to anyone? Can someone please highlight to me what is so 'heritageable' about these properties to make them worthwhile of keeping?
It does to me. It's an interesting lane and it has an intimate feel. I definately think those buildings have a lot to offer. The street is obviously underutilised at present but it wouldn't take much for that to turn around. A restaurant and or pub or two would so wonders for the street. Adelaide should really strive to retain the interesting feel of some of these small streets and laneways as we really don't have a lot like it. The last thing Adelaide needs is to be overrun with generic modern highrises at the expense of character.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#536 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:05 pm

I was in Dubai recently for work. HEAPS of skyscrapers, HEAPS of civic buildings/areas - but NO character...I felt like i was walking around in a sterile hospital environment. I strongly agree with keeping Adelaide's quaint little laneways and i'm confident Lilly Nominess will be back in front of the ACC very soon with a sensitively revised proposal
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#537 Post by Hippodamus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:14 pm

ok, maybe a bit of a harsh over reaction shuz, but perhpas a valid one at that

it appears that everyone who responded to your last post see some significance in keeping these buildings. who ever said that we must keep only 'heritage' listed buildings or ones that have 'heritage' appeal. i hate that 'heritage' word, it implies so much yet is so narrow. people's minds go straight to the typical 1880's style of edwardian architecture... preservation of architecture means so much more than that! what about preservations of streetscape and urban realm? there are other intersting buildings worth keeping, and this lane way holds some of them.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#538 Post by Brando » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:22 pm

Hippodamus wrote:ok, maybe a bit of a harsh over reaction shuz, but perhpas a valid one at that

it appears that everyone who responded to your last post see some significance in keeping these buildings. who ever said that we must keep only 'heritage' listed buildings or ones that have 'heritage' appeal. i hate that 'heritage' word, it implies so much yet is so narrow. people's minds go straight to the typical 1880's style of edwardian architecture... preservation of architecture means so much more than that! what about preservations of streetscape and urban realm? there are other intersting buildings worth keeping, and this lane way holds some of them.
Hippodamus, i don't agree with half of some of these so called heriatge listed buildings, but can't you see the potential for a quiet, intimate, secluded laneway here that can, if done right, have a real personal feel about it. Not a glass modernistic everyday touch to it. We all agree this development has to go ahead, but we can really create something unique at ground level here, a gem hidden from KWS.

fast_forward
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#539 Post by fast_forward » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Im new to all this, but does anyone know what was proposed for this this laneway? The photos of what is there now dont seem to offer much for an active street. They are nice buildings, but if they are to stay, there will be very little interaction between the new building and this little street because these facades have small openings and very pokey little windows. If they stay they need to be able to be opened up to allow an active streetscape.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#540 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:32 pm

fast_foward: http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/Netc ... Part_2.pdf There's elevations that include the surrounding building from page 12 onwards.

Also I noticed in the above document, there's a bike lock up with 200 spaces and a water storage tank. :)