[CAN] 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#76 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:26 pm

Thanks mate for that.

10st section sounds more realistic than all of it 31 stories high, open glass lifts?, how cool.

Can't wait to see those renders :D.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#77 Post by Howie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:00 am

$100m `sculpture' for our skyline
April 15, 2007 12:15pm
Article from: Sunday Mail (SA)

ADELAIDE'S skyline has never seen anything like it – a radical new design that could replace Santos House as South Australia's iconic building.
The designers believe the $100 million futuristic office tower proposed for Currie St would put Adelaide on the international architectural stage.

Towering 123m (31 storeys) and spanning 40m across, the all-glass building would be one of Adelaide's biggest office developments.

Planned for the heart of the CBD, between Peel St and Gilbert Pl, it would feature 31,000 sq m of premium office space for up to 3000 workers.

Workers would travel to their offices in glass elevators visible from the outside and be able to swim in a 25m lap pool and enjoy a workout in a gymnasium. There would be 180 parking spaces and a ground-floor public cafe.

The southern side facing on to Currie St would feature a striking cantilevered facade that architects say would define the building's identity.

The existing Arturo Taverna building at 20-22 Currie St would be demolished. But the building would not surpass the 137m Santos House as the state's tallest building because of airspace height restrictions.

The project, designed by South Australian architects Tectvs, has been lodged with Adelaide City Council's planning department and will be referred to the Civil Aviation Authority for comment.

Public consultation is expected to start by the end of the month.

The proposal could be before the council's development assessment panel as early as July for approval.

Tectvs director Tony Giannone said his company and the property owner did not want another "stereotyped box" for the city.

"We wanted something a bit more sculptural, something that is of an international standard, a building that you can identify with the city more than what's been happening around town at the moment," said Mr Giannone, whose firm designed Air Apartments on Greenhill Rd.

"It's probably fair to say that a lot of buildings happening at the moment are a bit bland and don't contribute something to the city skyline. This will give back some dynamism and because it is across from Santos, it will complement the skyline. The other thing is this is being done locally – it is SA designed, we have got a South Australian who owns the land, who is confident in the state."

The land is owned by Lilly Nominees Pty Ltd, whose sole director is Derek John Blacker, of Torrens Park.

Mr Giannone said construction would only start once a key tenant was confirmed for the building.

He anticipated construction would take between two and three years.

Confidence in Adelaide's office market was underlined last year with a record $500 million worth of development applications lodged with Adelaide City Council.

The latest major application, announced on Friday, is for two buildings in Pirie St totalling almost 30,000sq m of office space.

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[CAN]

#78 Post by Snorkie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:35 am

Dude! Im sorry but that looks fucking awsome!!! Seriously. I thought it was gonna be some shitty box, but that looks sensational. Easily at the top of my hope it gets built list.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#79 Post by Pistol » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:59 am

I'm in love... Very 'cutting edge' and iconic - something that we don't see too much of in Adelaide. This will be Adelaide's answer to Eureka, World Tower and Q1 as iconic buildings. Build it and they will come!

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#80 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 am

OMG! This building is awesome. Is this really happening in Adelaide? This is ten times better than expected. Glass lifts on the outside, wow! That curved feature looks fantasitc. Build this one, build this one, build this one. I hope it gets approved by AAL. 124 votes so far and 84% of people love it.

tayser
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[CAN]

#81 Post by tayser » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:57 am

ubar.

reminds me a bit of Singapore's national library. It's all the white :)

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#82 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:02 pm

the best thing about this brilliant design is that it does not look the same from every angle. Thats what I love in tower designs.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN] AWESOME!

#83 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:04 pm

That render is BRILLIANT!

I've been whinging that Adelaide needs an interesting, iconic building to just about anyone who'll listen, and it looks like this is it.

Fantastic design - I hope it goes ahead.
WOW.

When I heard about the plans, I wasn't expecting anything like this. Thank god it's not another boring glass box.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[CAN]

#84 Post by rev » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:44 pm

Thats fucking sex right there.
FINALLY we have a proposal for a building that isnt all cubes and rectangular bullshit.

They would be INSANE to knock this one back or require changes.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#85 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:20 pm

LOVE IT 85% (304 votes)
HATE IT 14% (51 votes)

The people (albeit... 355 of them) have spoken - bring it on.
Take note ACC.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#86 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:43 pm

That poll proves that there is more people than just us who want such quality developments to proceed in Adelaide.

Hopefully the media attention that this tower has caused will force AAL and ACC to approve this work of art.

By the way, just looking at that render again, it looks freakishly long.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#87 Post by Mants » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:18 pm

its amazing!

wow, two highrose proposals this week! although this baby makes the pirie street job look like crap :D

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#88 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:23 pm

I'm just glad this one is actually imaginative.

The Pirie street design is just another bland and uninspired glass box.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

[CAN]

#89 Post by Bulldozer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:25 pm

Wow. 85% on the Sunday Mail poll are for it! You need to burn down City Hall if it gets knocked back then pack up and leave Adelaide.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#90 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:38 pm

These renders have completely shocked me, I was not expecting such a visionary, iconic and futuristic design . 20-22 Currie St will knock out the tired looking Santos House as Adelaide's No.1 Business Address.

It might not be our tallest building, but the design is just out of this world (especially for Adelaide). - I'm so exciting haha, I have never been this happy about a building development. :D

Mants to be honest, I think this will make many current buildings and proposed ones look like rubbish such as the new Santos, ING and Octagon Apartments aka the Remand Centre to this brilliant tower. Man i hope it gets built, it will become such a iconic building for SA and even Australia! :D. Though its going to be one very controversial development, but thats what we need - Adelaide's need to be more controversial and visionary, not dam bloody conservative.

I hope this sends many proposed buildings back to the drawing board, Adelaide needs more designs like this - modern, inspiring and visionary buildings. Not boring uninspiring boxes.

The developers deserve a huge applause to be proposing such a brilliant building in Adelaide, ACC will be nuts if they don't approve this.

Poll Update

86% - Love it (346 votes)
13% - Hate it (56 votes)

402 votes

:D