COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Glenelg Entertainment Complex (New Magic Mountain)

#196 Post by Will » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:20 pm

Ben wrote:
Will wrote:The current ferris wheel is so small that those aboard wont even be able to see over the pine trees.
I doubt the children ride it for any other reason then the fact it is a ferris wheel and I doubt the views and various landscapes is what a 5 year old would be riding it for, for this reason I do not see the need for it to be any taller.
I am not saying the kids will not love it, I'm sure they will. My arguement is, why build it solely for the kids? A 50m, ferris wheel would still appeal to the kids but additionally to the adults.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#197 Post by stelaras » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Will wrote: I am not saying the kids will not love it, I'm sure they will. My arguement is, why build it solely for the kids? A 50m, ferris wheel would still appeal to the kids but additionally to the adults.
I agree here.

As an Adult i dont want to spend my $8 to go on this ride... The simple point i think some people here are getting at is that we build stuff just for the sake of building stuff to fill a vacant space, when other states (again i reference the eastern states) do exactly that but add some vision and take a risk..

Now, Glenelg is a bustling place, lots of apartments, lots of hotels, a marina a boardwalk, a great restaurant precint centred around the municipal offices, it look inviting and beautiful and importantly family friendly, why not take the frigging risk and put up a decent ferris wheel since we are spending the money to put one up anyway!! cater for everybody, not just the kiddies and love-struck teens that want to impress their girlfriends..

We look at melbourne docklands region, 10 years in the making, apartments everywhere, boardwalks with great restaurants, boat tours...now a shopping complex is going up with outlet stores, boutique shopping etc etc etc and a friggin Ferris Wheel thats 120M tall....

Im not saying that Glenelg would have benefitted from a 100+M ferris wheel, but we could have gotten a 50M Ferris wheel. It would attract the tourists, it would attract the kiddies, it would attract the love struck teens and it would attract the Adults (win win situation)

Im not a character that knocks Adelaide all the time and is negative, but it seems that at times what comes across is..."Oh, yeah we need to build something here, but it has to comply with this and that we cant chop this tree down or that one...this would be really good, but...and at the end we get some half baked compromise that looks crap and nobody uses once any initial novelty wears off"

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#198 Post by JamesXander » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:56 pm

It looks good for children. But you would think if they spent a little more money and made it a little bigger and more appealing to older people then it would become more popular. Almost iconic.

I am a little disappointed. But I still don't mind it. It makes Glenelg have a carnival feeling to it, which I like.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#199 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:25 am

stelaras wrote:As an Adult i dont want to spend my $8 to go on this ride... The simple point i think some people here are getting at is that we build stuff just for the sake of building stuff to fill a vacant space, when other states (again i reference the eastern states) do exactly that but add some vision and take a risk..

Now, Glenelg is a bustling place, lots of apartments, lots of hotels, a marina a boardwalk, a great restaurant precint centred around the municipal offices, it look inviting and beautiful and importantly family friendly, why not take the frigging risk and put up a decent ferris wheel since we are spending the money to put one up anyway!! cater for everybody, not just the kiddies and love-struck teens that want to impress their girlfriends..

We look at melbourne docklands region, 10 years in the making, apartments everywhere, boardwalks with great restaurants, boat tours...now a shopping complex is going up with outlet stores, boutique shopping etc etc etc and a friggin Ferris Wheel thats 120M tall....
Well no offense but I don't think very much of Melbourne's ferris wheel

As for this Glenelg ferris wheel, a 50m version of this design would of been the worst thing ever built in Adelaide! and would of ruined Glenelg.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#200 Post by how_good_is_he » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:48 am

The real question is would there have there been enough space/land for a bigger wheel anyway ...its a limited area the developer had and I remember reading they had problems even getting this one approved by council as it went outside the designated perimeter of the lease.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#201 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:59 am

Why is there so much complaint? I saw it the other day and its very unattractive but why is there comments like "typical crap Adelaide" and the like?
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it privately funded? How does the state have anything to do with how under-impressed you are by this attraction?

Maybe you would have a right to complain if it was built with tax payers money and should have been a general attraction but it was infact built from children who would visit the Beach house.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#202 Post by stelaras » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:06 am

.::G!oRgOs::. wrote:Why is there so much complaint? I saw it the other day and its very unattractive but why is there comments like "typical crap Adelaide" and the like?
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it privately funded? How does the state have anything to do with how under-impressed you are by this attraction?

Maybe you would have a right to complain if it was built with tax payers money and should have been a general attraction but it was infact built from children who would visit the Beach house.

Mate, most developments (of this type) along the seaside, docklands regions are built from private investment. Just because they are built by "private" dollars doesnt abscond them from building something that is aesthetically pleasing or designing something that is oriented at maximising profits by capturing a larger portion of the market.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#203 Post by pushbutton » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Will wrote:I think that this is a wasted opportunity. Something iconic, a genuine tourist attraction could have been built, but in typical Adelaide fashion we have to settle for second best. The ferris wheel could have easily being 50m, without ruining the 'heritage nostaligic charm' of Glenelg. The Norfolk pines are taller than the ferris wheel!
Agreed, except for the bit about "heritage nostalgic charm", because there isn't any in Glenelg anyway. Glenelg is a thoroughly modern, contemporary place (which suits me perfectly!)

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#204 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:50 pm

I expect a Ferris Wheel to at least designed something that looks like this:

Not a Crab-claw wheel.

If you are going to build it, build it right and make it stand out.

Not just build some cheap-looking unattractive un-architectural looking Ferris Wheels.

Real disappointment.

Even the Channel Ten ferris wheels at the Royal Show looks 10x better than the crab-claws wheel, even stand out at night.

Yes, that was what I was expecting, at least, to be honest.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#205 Post by Shuz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Whilst they're doing up the Showgrounds at Wayville, it would have made logical sense to relocate the ferris wheel there down to the bay. I would have liked that.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#206 Post by bmw boy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:21 pm

momentkiller wrote:Whilst they're doing up the Showgrounds at Wayville, it would have made logical sense to relocate the ferris wheel there down to the bay. I would have liked that.
It would have been logical to just design/build a decent ferris wheel at Glenelg and keep the showgrounds one there.

Firstly. I dont think it would look at Glenelg, which deserves something a bit more classy (which unfortunately we didnt get in the end anyway).
Secondly, no use spending 1+ mill on a new Ferris wheel to be used once a year. Makes more sense to spend the money on something which is available for year round use.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#207 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Does anyone know if the ferris wheel is open yet?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#208 Post by Howie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:57 pm

They were still working on the barriers two weeks ago when I went there last.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#209 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:07 pm

Howie wrote:They were still working on the barriers two weeks ago when I went there last.
WOW talk about slow progress. 2008/09 will be the 3rd Summer it has been said to be up and running for. Wonder what the delay is.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#210 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Ben wrote:
Howie wrote:They were still working on the barriers two weeks ago when I went there last.
WOW talk about slow progress. 2008/09 will be the 3rd Summer it has been said to be up and running for. Wonder what the delay is.

Smells like Nimbys. lol