News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

Re: Infill Developments | Metropolitan Adelaide

#1036 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:33 pm

Urban sprawl limit imposed to protect food production zone beyond suburban Adelaide

A measure backed by the South Australian Parliament to limit Adelaide's urban sprawl will shrink house block sizes and drive up prices, critics have said.

The Legislative Council has approved introduction of a boundary through creation of an Environment and Food Production Area (EFPA). Protection of the food and wine production areas to the north and south of Adelaide will also affect towns as far afield as Victor Harbor, Murray Bridge and Kapunda
Full article: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-24/a ... atenews_sa
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#1037 Post by obituary resider » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:02 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Urban sprawl limit imposed to protect food production zone beyond suburban Adelaide

A measure backed by the South Australian Parliament to limit Adelaide's urban sprawl will shrink house block sizes and drive up prices, critics have said.

The Legislative Council has approved introduction of a boundary through creation of an Environment and Food Production Area (EFPA). Protection of the food and wine production areas to the north and south of Adelaide will also affect towns as far afield as Victor Harbor, Murray Bridge and Kapunda
Full article: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-24/a ... atenews_sa

Fantastic news! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1038 Post by Vee » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:04 pm

The EFPA is a sound initiative to prevent our most productive land being swallowed up under housing.
Another quote from SouthAussie94's ABCNews link...
The EFPA will provide a 15-year supply of land for urban growth within greater Adelaide..."
"It will encourage building of new homes in our inner and middle-ring suburbs, something which market research shows is where more and more people want to live.

"Such infill development, compared to green field development, generates more jobs, costs less to service and provides more affordable living options."

South Australian Greens leader Mark Parnell said Adelaide's population of 1.3 million could quadruple within its existing footprint if housing density kept increasing.
Urban sprawl is threatening Sydney's food bowl

This article about Sydney, but relevant to other cities, outlines multiple threats and reasons as to why legislation is needed to protect agriculture on rural-urban fringes from encroaching urban sprawl.
.. Sydney stands to lose more than 90% of its current fresh vegetable production. Total food production could drop by 60% and the city’s supply of food from within the basin could drop from 20% of total food demand to a mere 6%.
... strategic policies and plans are needed to ensure that agriculture is valued and prioritised as an important land use and economic activity within our city...
The Conversation:
https://theconversation.com/urban-spraw ... bowl-55156

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#1039 Post by Bacon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:11 am

fishinajar wrote:
duke wrote:Been driving down to Hallett Cove for the past month for my wife's work. I have never really been down this area so it was interesting to see the development going on down there.
I notice there is a new land release near the shopping centre. But I was wondering if anyone knows why there has been no infill development along Majors Road?
There is also a huge amount of land between the quarry and Lonsdale Road. This location would also have nice sea views.
It seems weird that we continue to push north and south while there are these huge pockets of land around.
Does anyone know anything about these areas?

Edit. I just answered one of them myself https://www.adelaide.edu.au/woodland-re ... lenthorne/
This land must be worth a lot though.
I think I remember hearing somewhere that the soil around there is not particularly suitable for development. Hence it was reserved off for other uses.
Boral own that land (including the golf course and that large house in the middle of the paddock) Their intention is to hold onto that land as it creates a buffer around the quarry works.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#1040 Post by Goodsy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:05 pm

I don't know if this has been posted before but the Munno Para Bunnings is being relocated to the corner of Curtis road and Frisby Road. The building itself is nearing completion with the exterior being painted.

and there's a lot of earth moving going on for the Munno Para Aldi

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1041 Post by Torrens_5022 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:17 am

Do you mean the Smithfield or Blakeview Aldi?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1042 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:07 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:I don't know if this has been posted before but the Munno Para Bunnings is being relocated to the corner of Curtis road and Frisby Road. The building itself is nearing completion with the exterior being painted.
Interesting... what's happening to the current Bunnings site?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1043 Post by Goodsy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:08 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:Do you mean the Smithfield or Blakeview Aldi?
Well guess it's Smithfield, but at the Munno Para shopping centre
crawf wrote:
Interesting... what's happening to the current Bunnings site?
A caller to triple M's rumor thing this morning said a costco is going to go there

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1044 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Will eventually need it's own thread this... Quite a massive site in an excellent location
For sale: Block where big eastern suburbs hardware store now stands
April 18, 2016 3:40pm
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6de8a2a76a

A PROMINENT eastern hardware store could make way for a 10-storey retail and apartment block, after the site was placed on the market this month.

The Banner Mitre 10 site on Magill Rd, near the intersection of North Tce and Fullarton Rd, is up for sale.

JLL South Australia managing director Jamie Guerra, who is heading the sale, said Mitre 10 had a lease and it was only the site, not the business, that was on the market.

“We are just selling the property, the businesses there currently are protected by their lease,” Mr Guerra said.

He would not reveal the length of the lease.

However, he conceded there was “room for development in the next couple of years”.

An advertisement for the site on commercialrealestate.com.au describes the location as “unquestionably blue-chip” and “in the sought after retail and residential suburb of Norwood”.

Norwood, Payneham & St Peters Mayor Robert Bria said the site, which is also home to several other businesses, could be redeveloped as a mixed use, commercial/residential complex up to 10 storeys.

“The rezoning of this particular piece of land is part of council’s longer-term vision to increase density,” Mr Bria said.

“The site is in a real prime location given it intersects with three main roads — Fullarton Rd, North Tce and Payneham Rd — and because of its proximity to the city and The Parade.

“There’s no doubt that will be an attractive element for any future development.”

Mitre 10 did not return the East Torrens Messenger’s calls.

Expressions of interest on the site close Wednesday, 25 May, at 4pm.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1045 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Also, it's a short throw away from the Caroma factory which is also earmarked for rezoning into medium density development (or in Adelaide parlance, "high density").

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1046 Post by Eurostar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Romeos Foodland is opening a new supermarket at "Mawson Lakes Central Plaza" in 2017.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1047 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Big site up for sale at Edwardstown, on south rd just south of Castle Plaza. 43,000sqm. Unsure how long it's been on the market.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1048 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Wayno wrote:Big site up for sale at Edwardstown, on south rd just south of Castle Plaza. 43,000sqm. Unsure how long it's been on the market.

43,000 sqm? Who would want to buy such a large site which has significant chance of being partially acquired when South Rd is upgraded?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

claybro

#1049 Post by claybro » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:42 pm

Who would buy it? Someone smart. Sit on it, and wait for the stupid state government to buy it back at a vastly inflated price for ...um a motorway that might one day be required there?!

[Shuz]

#1050 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:45 am

Surely the State / Federal Government will buy this one out, claim the parcel they need for the NS Corridor, and then divide the remainder back onto the market.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.