News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#466 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:40 am

subscribers Only
Port Adelaide master plan revealed

ABOUT 1300 homes including four-storey townhouses, shops, cafes and an outdoor cinema are set to be built along the waterfront in the historic heart of Port Adelaide. SEE WHAT’S PLANNED

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 951fd83b1b
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#467 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:53 am

Port Adelaide master plan revealed: New townhouses, shops, cafes, cinema on the waterfront

ABOUT 1300 homes including four-storey townhouses, shops, cafes and an outdoor cinema are set to be built along the waterfront in the historic heart of Port Adelaide.

An artist’s impressions of the Port Adelaide waterfront development by Starfish Developments.

A public promenade around the inner harbour waterfront, converting the old Marine and Harbors building into apartments and shops and the creation of an observation deck are among the other plans for the site being released today.

The State Government has selected two Australian developers and a South Australian construction company as preferred proponents for five parcels of land on the inner harbour.

The developments are planned to take up 23ha of the 40ha of land the Government put on the market in May last year.

Housing and Urban Development Minister Stephen Mullighan said Port Adelaide was a unique development opportunity combining vast parcels of waterfront land with 180 years of distinctive maritime history and heritage buildings.

“These projects provide plenty of open space and recreational facilities, as well as preserving public access to the waterfront as well. It will be a great place for families looking to live in the west,” he said.

The proposals include nearly 1300 homes built over four parcels including:

ABOUT 760 homes at Dock 1 and Port Approach in the east of the inner harbour, to be developed by Starfish Developments.

REDEVELOPING the historic buildings at Fletcher’s Slip as well as 500 homes in the area.

UPGRADING the North West precincts in the west and north of the inner harbour, to be developed by Cedar Woods — the developer buying the land around Glenside.

When the 40ha of land was put on the market, the Government said it could generate up to $2 billion of investment.

An artist’s impressions of the Port Adelaide waterfront development by Starfish Developments.

This proposal has identified potential more than $1 billion in investment including about 2000 new homes, more than 350 construction jobs a year and up to 2000 ongoing jobs.

The maximum building height across all five precincts will be five storeys, with the exception of the existing seven-storey former Marine and Harbours building which will be retained.

Government land sale agency Renewal SA will work with the two residential developers and the local community to develop two master plans over the next six months, which will be presented to the Government for consideration.

Labor Member for Port Adelaide Susan Close said the private sector investment in Port Adelaide was a sign of the growing confidence in the renewal of the district.

“Combined with other developments including the State Government’s new office building to house 500 public servants, the construction of the Quest hotel and the $50 billion Future Submarines contract, the Port has a bright future,” she said.

A map of the new Port Adelaide development plan.

Starfish Developments managing director Damon Nagel said he hoped Dock One would become a new destination for people from across Adelaide as well as visitors from interstate and overseas.

“We’ve put a strong focus on planning new community facilities and infrastructure that can be enjoyed by residents and the broader community alike,” he said.

Cedar Woods development director Patrick Archer said Port Adelaide’s North West and Fletcher’s Slip precincts included more than 1km of river frontage.

“With the Glenside development and now Port Adelaide ahead of us, Cedar Woods has a very attractive mix of projects in SA and we will be ramping up our Adelaide office to deliver them,” he said.

York Group managing director Ian Tarbotton said the national company was proud to have maintained its headquarters in SA and to continue its investment in its home state.

“York Civil is delighted to be relocating its national head office to Port Adelaide, having had a long affinity with the Port dating back to the early beginnings of the company 26 years ago,” he said.

“York has a strong belief in the redevelopment of the Port and supports the Government’s plans to revitalise a once thriving commercial and social hub of the state.”

THE PLANS

Dock One

Developer: Starfish Developments (Stage 1)

— 3.58 ha

— 280 homes predominantly two and three-bedroom townhouses.

— Includes refurbishment of former Marine and Harbours building that will feature 36 homes, small offices and shops, a community garden and observation deck with an outdoor cinema.

Port Approach (south)

Developer: Starfish Developments (Stage 2)

— 4.95ha site

— 480 homes including 20 per cent affordable housing.

— Dockside piazza for community events and central public park.

North West and Fletcher’s Slip

Cedar Woods

— 12.6 ha

— 500 homes, about two-thirds will be two to four storey townhouses and includes more than 15 per cent affordable housing.

— Includes a public promenade, park and plaza as well as the refurbishment and reuse of the heritage buildings in Fletcher’s Slip

— Fletcher’s Slip and buried slip retained with new shared path and interpretative trail

— Improvements to the existing boat slip at the north western corner of the wharf

Cruikshank’s Corner

Developer: York Civil

— 8000sq m building refurbishment of vacant former PIRSA building to commence this year.

— Project includes improving surrounds including new landscaping and car parking.

— Will also build a new five-storey building within four years which York Civil will use as its national headquarters for up to 500 people.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 951fd83b1b

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#468 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:48 pm

Very underwhelming....

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#469 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:57 pm

yep, meh....
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#470 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Yes lets fill in valuable waterfront land with small low 2-3 storey townhouses. What an absolute waste of space and environmental vandalism. It would be much better having fewer well designed better placed high rises with proper parks, wetlands, gardens, cafes, shops, playgrounds etc that would attract people to the area.

Cant see how townhouses and carparks will add to vibrancy of the Port

Nathan

#471 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:38 pm

ozisnowman wrote:Yes lets fill in valuable waterfront land with small low 2-3 storey townhouses. What an absolute waste of space and environmental vandalism. It would be much better having fewer well designed better placed high rises with proper parks, wetlands, gardens, cafes, shops, playgrounds etc that would attract people to the area.

Cant see how townhouses and carparks will add to vibrancy of the Port
Agreed. Worth noting though that the renders are all of the Cedar Woods area, which is around the North West of the Port. Going by the stats, I think we can expect denser apartment buildings in the second of the Starfish Development stages, around the Port Approach.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#472 Post by rev » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Roof top bar coming to the Port it seems. Anyone recognize this building? It's currently a massive eyesore at the Port

Nathan

#473 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:45 pm

rev wrote:Anyone recognize this building? It's currently a massive eyesore at the Port
I disagree. It's in a state of disrepair, but I love the Ports Corporation Building. We should be trying to preserve our better brutalist buildings.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#474 Post by thecityguy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:14 pm

This site had so much potential, definitely a lack of imagination here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#475 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Is it underwhelming? Yes. Is it achievable? A lot more than the plans that were there before! Still missing? The land across Glanville station (potential for some high-rise there), and the inner parts of the Port. I'd rather have this and actually get built rather than another failed extravagant vision. This is Port Adelaide, not Sydney Harbour.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#476 Post by Dvious » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:11 pm

The problem with super high density, which many of us on a forum like this prefer, is that it takes much longer to sell and will generally provide less activation at ground level.

I believe a development like this will then become the catalyst for higher density housing as the Port begins to increase its population. I may be optimistic but i think this COULD be what the Port needs to begin its rejuvenation.

Algernon

#477 Post by Algernon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Calling this development for what it is - a truly embarrassing failure.

I remember as a younger lad studying urban planning being taken through by the LMC folk on a field trip. At one point a bright young student asked them how they would be selling apartments built essentially next to the smoke stacks of the Adelaide Brighton foundry. The answer, after a few stammers, was something along the lines that Adelaide wasn't growing, but people were getting divorced which might create more demand for housing, and once they all decide to magically move to Port Adelaide it's assumed Adelaide Brighton will just leave on its own volition. Imagine that, and then a room full of fresh faced 20 year old planning students looking at one another thinking... is this bloke for real?

We were told at the get go, all the modelling suggested a revitalised Port Adelaide needed a high density residential population of around 15,000 to work. And they delighted, immediately after, in explaining to use they found a way to squeeze in 3,500. And now today's announcement is they're putting in 1,000 townhouses. Failure.

I left Adelaide to live interstate in 2009, and I remember years later on one of my drives back in to Adelaide to visit my family.... I just hung my head in shame, driving past the exact same empty docks thinking only an SA government numpty could find a way not to sell a waterfront. But then again, he probably has an office in the corridor of the bright spark who built a hideously expensive opening bridge to a closed, shallow port that was being re purposed to residential then scurried around for 15 years trying to organise a half arsed tourist ferry to dock there and justify it all. FMD.

This may sound negative, and yeah it is. But it's from an Adelaide boy who grew up and lived in the Port area for 25 years. The SA government is a joke - not labor, not liberal, the institution. It bankrupted a generation trying to be a bank, it has stalled a generation trying to be a property developer, and it points at 40k sitting at a Port game at Adelaide Oval to sell its success. :toilet: The culture in this state must change. Deregulate the fuck out of it and get on with business. If anyone wants to stand up and be South Australia's Jeff Kennett then I'll put myself back on the electoral roll at my mum's house and vote for them.

Waewick

#478 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:28 pm

To be fair on the numpty. It's a dirty smelly river. 5 minutes up the road you get beach front.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#479 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:51 pm

I agree that the government has failed on multiple fronts... but when you say "Deregulate the f**k out of it", what exactly are you looking to that we could deregulate?

Patrick_27

#480 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:52 am

Algernon wrote:Calling this development for what it is - a truly embarrassing failure.

I remember as a younger lad studying urban planning being taken through by the LMC folk on a field trip. At one point a bright young student asked them how they would be selling apartments built essentially next to the smoke stacks of the Adelaide Brighton foundry. The answer, after a few stammers, was something along the lines that Adelaide wasn't growing, but people were getting divorced which might create more demand for housing, and once they all decide to magically move to Port Adelaide it's assumed Adelaide Brighton will just leave on its own volition. Imagine that, and then a room full of fresh faced 20 year old planning students looking at one another thinking... is this bloke for real?

We were told at the get go, all the modelling suggested a revitalised Port Adelaide needed a high density residential population of around 15,000 to work. And they delighted, immediately after, in explaining to use they found a way to squeeze in 3,500. And now today's announcement is they're putting in 1,000 townhouses. Failure.

I left Adelaide to live interstate in 2009, and I remember years later on one of my drives back in to Adelaide to visit my family.... I just hung my head in shame, driving past the exact same empty docks thinking only an SA government numpty could find a way not to sell a waterfront. But then again, he probably has an office in the corridor of the bright spark who built a hideously expensive opening bridge to a closed, shallow port that was being re purposed to residential then scurried around for 15 years trying to organise a half arsed tourist ferry to dock there and justify it all. FMD.

This may sound negative, and yeah it is. But it's from an Adelaide boy who grew up and lived in the Port area for 25 years. The SA government is a joke - not labor, not liberal, the institution. It bankrupted a generation trying to be a bank, it has stalled a generation trying to be a property developer, and it points at 40k sitting at a Port game at Adelaide Oval to sell its success. :toilet: The culture in this state must change. Deregulate the fuck out of it and get on with business. If anyone wants to stand up and be South Australia's Jeff Kennett then I'll put myself back on the electoral roll at my mum's house and vote for them.
Jeez, calm down... So you didn't get the high density proposal you were hoping for, big deal? At-least there will be something more than empty plots of land. This proposal, whilst not the most ambitious, will have a much quicker turnaround than any high density proposal would.