PRO: [Kent Town] Park Central | 15lvls | $120m | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: 9Lv $50M Apartments - Kent Town

#16 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:49 am

What a bunch of wankers...honestly.

They already have fairly tall apartment buildings there around the kent town area?? :wank:

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#17 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Is that all glass?
Id prefer if it were that sandstone colour like its "neighbouring" buildings.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Hippodamus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:14 pm

why are they so concerned with the revised height, especially considering that the adjacent kent town apartments are of similar, if not greater heights...

yes i agree with that earlier post that Urban Construct should increase heights, and seek major project status. guys, this is a key location. convenient access to public transportation routes, not to mention that the development's future residents can walk to work and to the shops, use the parklands across the road to recreate and exercise, and live in a beautiful area..!!

Some Councillors ought to be put in libraries cleaning dictionaries, instead of wasting our time keeping adelaide behind the times.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:24 pm

I think we should push for major project status for this one it's a gate way and exit to the city. In my opinion all entries and exits to the city should be welcoming and inviting.

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by thechap » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:30 am

ynotsfables wrote:I think we should push for major project status for this one it's a gate way and exit to the city. In my opinion all entries and exits to the city should be welcoming and inviting.
Agreed. Build a time machine and send these yesteryear backward thinking heroes back to the 50's!
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

bva
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by bva » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:51 am

once again every runs to quickly to denegrate councils, this should not have major project status. if every mid height tower developer runs to the govt then the whole process is undermined
there is a planning system in place and if it 'perceptibly' fails to deliver then the applicant has clear choices - appeal or amend the design and try again
this happens all over the world (including London) and is part of the rich tapestry of planning
i am not defending the councillors but defending their current right to make a decision - ultimatley this will be proved correct against policy or not!!

by the way from the image I have seen I do not like this building - it is poor quality

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by thechap » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:52 pm

bva,

read this thread http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=7&t=1251

This is not about respecting the dap process - this about the fact that counsellors in suburban councils have their heads up their arses. Ok, so they have the right to make a decision - I'm not denying that. What I am against is their reasoning behind the decisions. It takes people in the suburbs freakin ages just to get approval to build a new shed, let alone an apartment building.
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#23 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:51 pm

It is interesting that the proposal is "out of character" with abutting buildings. Surely the brewery apartments is a classic example of a modern concrete apartment block right in the middle of stone-walled surroundings! Why is it so important that this policy is adopted on one side of the street and not the other? The heritage buildings nearby are nothing short of ugly...

Sure there may have been other issues that led to the refusal, but the area is dominated by mid-rise development right through to North Terrace and seems a natural progression for the area.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by ynotsfables » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Be prepared let the process of the planning system take effect, just have a contingency plan ready if need be.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#25 Post by Omicron » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:03 am

I quite like the Brewery Apartments, so I would hope that any future development across the road is more than just a glass box with balconies. The renders flying about at present are quite small, and lacking sufficient detail for me to properly judge their merits.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

Re: Norwood Project Rejected

#26 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:34 am

jk1237 wrote:how do we get rid of these councils.
The Liberals tried, but amalgamations really only worked in the outer reaches where the huge councils are like Onkaparinga. In the inner-city you still have pissant little councils like Walkerville and Unley. The job needs to be finished.

Basically everything from the base of the hills should be merged into one council, splitting off the bits that extend past this to the adjacent councils. Can the state government force councils to merge or can it dissolve and proclaim them? If it can't force them to merge then could it withhold funding until they either dissolve via bankruptcy or vote to amalgamate?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Will » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:07 pm

This one is not dead!

From the updated Urban Construct website, this one is still listed as a future project. Just how Urban Construct never gave up with Latitude, it appears that they have not with this one.

Larger image too:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm

This is too "modern" for my liking - especially in kent town - i'd much prefer a softer looking tower of apartments (like the ones in the brewery which are empathetic to the surrounds and don't glaringly stand out). This even makes the 2 storey federation house in front look out of place :-(
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#29 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one Wayno.
cheers,
Rhino

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by frank1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:05 pm

That's probably what people said about the brewery apartments when they were first built. In another 20 years when another project for kent town is proposed, it will look out of place with this new one.